What's new

Kenwood Product Line (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Is Kenwood about to change their product line? Aside from e-tailers, I have been unable to find the VR-5XX receivers for sale anywhere.

Edit - The same appears to be true for Sherwood. Aside from the 7103, there are no other receivers available A(excluding the Sherwood Newcastle line).

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I noticed that the 5XX line all have DPL2. Could that be the issue behind the "disappearance?"

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
I think it will be around April when the new line will be out. My guess is that the VR-6xx series will be 6.1 and also have SRS Circle Surround 2.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Both are good receivers, I would let your ears decide.

If you went with the Kenwood VR510 I would get the replacement in April. I have a CES mag that lists the new VR-6070 which will have dts-es, dd-ex, dpl2 and SRS Circle Surround 2 and is THX Select with a lot more features for $600 retail.

Ray_L

Auditioning
DPL2 = Dolby ProLogic2 the next generation. As for technical specs, I will defer to a more qualified person! Someone that actually knows what they are referring to! :)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yea! I too noticed that Kenwood was a little behind in their updates for the new line up. DDEX(former THXEX) is the biggy to look for. Dolby 2 has not done a whole lot for me, but maybe I haven't played the right DVD/CD to make a difference.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Thanks Albert -- I'm sorry, for some reason I thought your location said Canada :b

RE: DPL2 - I made that comment because I knew that some receivers had DTS problems with Jurrasic Park and a few others. I was sort of musing outloud if something similar might have occurred with DPL2. At the time, it seemed strange that all of those receivers were gone. Now I see that it is likely due to end of product cycle. Sorry if I misled anyone! :b

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone wants me to post that article about the new Kenwood VR-6070 I will, just let me know.

Ryan Bush

Auditioning
Just for clarification (hopefully).

DPLII is for taking 2 channel sources such as broadcast TV and VHS and turning it into surround sound similar to DD5.1. It can also be used for stereo music. There is and never will be a problem with DPLII such as with the DD track on JP3 since DPLII does not decode a specially encoded stream.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
The VR-6070 features THX Select and DTS-ES audio certification, component and S-video switching, dual zone audio/video capability, and a universal RF/IR controller.

Equipped with DD, DTS, DPL2, DD Surround EX, and Circle Surround 2 technologies, the VR-6070 also provides optical and coaxial digital connections, 6-channel analog audio input and 8 channel preouts.

It will deliver 110 watts into six channels, including the back surround channel required with the latest THX and DTS technology.

Kenwood's Pointless RF/IR universal/learning controller features an LCD display and a new ergonomic joystick designed with DVD menus and DSS or digital cable in mind. The controller also communicates with the receiver from virtually any room in the house, simplifying multiroom and multizone control.

The receiver is fully 24-bit/96KHz enabled for its digital inputs, analog to digital (A/D) and D/A converters, and it will provide full bandwidth response for DVD-Audio recordings.

The VR-6070 is equipped with two coaxial and two optical digital audio inputs, one optical digital audio output, eight stereo audio analog inputs, two stereo analog audio outputs, and stereo outputs for a second audio zone.

The VR-6070 incorporates THX Front-Channel Re-Equalization, THX Adaptive Decorellation, THX Timbre-Matching, Full Digital Bass Management with Dual Precision THX Crossover, and THX Bass Peak Level manager.

The auxiliary inputs--for analog stereo audio, composite video, and S-video -- are located on the front panel for connection of a camcorder or gaming device. The suggested retail is $600, available in spring 2002.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks