What's new

Kenwood HTB-504 or JBL NSP? (1 Viewer)

Amy Tippin

Auditioning
Hi. I know that Kenwood package includes the receiver+speakers and JBL=only speakers, but do you recommend buying the Kenwood package or JBL NSP1 speakers and additional (separate) receiver?

I'm a rookie, just starting out HT etc..

Thanks!!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the 'separates' route is going to be better off all around IMO. you'll get better sound and 'upgradability' out of buying the NSP plus a sub and receiver. look at the Sony SA-WM40 locally or at www.etronics.com for your sub and possibly the new Onkyo 500 or 600 for a receiver. how much do you have to spend? or are you looking for a package (with the NSP) that will rival the price of the Kenwood HTB?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I've heard the NSP1s and they are pretty impressive for a low price HT in a box.
I would go for the JBLs because of personal preference. I really love JBLs Studio S38s.
You can listen to the JBLs at Best Buy if there's one near.
If you're looking to save money, a box solution can save you a lot of money and trouble.
http://www.crutchfield.com has great customer service and info.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I think if I had it to do over I would go with the separates.I bought the 504 and like it very much,but I did buy the WM-40 as a extra at the same time.This was like less than three months ago.A month latter I bought the Velodyne ct.150 sub witch I really do like and now I'm looking at speakers plus I would like to get a SVS or two.I guess it is well that my wife keeps me in check now.Does it ever end?If you can I would go with the best separates that you can unless you just can't afford that rout.Even if it costs more you might be saving money in the short or long term.If you can't the 504 with the WM-40 would be a wise and good start in my thinking.Good luck! PS--I cant imagine HT with out a sub.I just sold a freind my WM-40 who had a surround but no sub.He could not believe what he had been missing all these years.

Amy Tippin

Auditioning
thanks for the info guys

and ..

i'm looking for a decent HT system for a low price, because my budget will be pretty low after buying my projection tv..

Ok, so from what you guys are saying, the JBL will be better right? so,then i need to buy the receiver and a..sub? how much is a sub anyway? eek.. i should've saved up more $$..I'm in Canada, and I'm thinking of spending app. $3000 cdn for my tv, and under $1000 cdn for my sound system for sure..I don't think I can afford something more expensive..I'd say, around $400~500 US for speakers, receiver,, etc. but w/ that $$, u can't get a good one, can you?

Amy Tippin

Auditioning
after lurking around, and looking at my budget, i decided to go with the Kenwood htb 504. The only problem now, is where to get it. I live in Canada.. Customs and tax fees kind of worries me (they can be alot!!) also...

any ideas where i can get this system for the best price?

thanks!!

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up my HTB5-504 at Sears in Edmonton. It was regular $800, got it for $680 + GST during their boxing week sale. Since I'm from SK, also saved the 6% PST. Pick one up, you won't be disappointed.

MarkMaestas

Agent
I strongly suggest that you either listen to the speakers you buy before you buy or that you are able to return them if you don't like them. I bought the JBL NSP1 setup online without hearing them. Overall, I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, they are great speakers for the price. I was just expecting too much. I haven't found any speakers better for the money, but the key phrase is "for the money". If I were to do it all over again, I would have spent more initially. Live and learn. Everyone's audio preferences differ, so listen before you buy and get what YOU like.

Good Luck.

I have the JBL NSP6 (NSP1 w/ JBL 10" 150 watt sub) and love them. Paid 499.00 at etronics.com. I use them with an Onkyo 575x and very happy with this setup. I don't think you could go wrong with these speakers. I have never been impressed with new Kenwood products. I used to have a Kenwood receiver that was awsome, but that was in 1978.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i have the exact same setup even the receiver, im quite happy (although i wish the pb10 went down a little further in frequency, but what do you expect?), but then again im young and new to this game...

John Devine

Auditioning
You can't go wrong with the Kenwood for a starter system.

I'm using the previous version, the HTB 503 for about two years now.

We use it almost everyday and really like it.

The price is right, it sounds great, and you can add to it later as your budget allows.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Amy,
I have heard both systems. If you can stretch your budget, you will get a better sounding package if you match the JBL NSP's with a decent receiver. Wait a little longer and save the cash if you have to.
I recommended the NSP's to my father paired with a Yamaha medium end receiver. He also has the JBL sub which leaves a lot to be desired but gets the job done.
If you get the JBL's there are plenty of quality used subs for sale since the SVS explosion. (including mine :) )
Comparing that to my friends Kenwood system (which I also recommended on his budget) the sound of the NSP's is much better.
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks