What's new

Justified - The Final Season (FX) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As much as I'll miss this show, I'm glad it's going out now firing on all cylinders. Last season was the only time this show has disappointed me, and I'd hate for it to go out on a season like that. Right now, everything's on the table.

Looking ahead, it's pretty much certain that Raylan and Avery Markham's henchman are going to draw on each other, that Loretta will find a way to maximize her opportunities however things shake out, and that things will boil down to Raylan and Boyd in the same room with each other. The big question mark for me is what Duffy's game plan is. I figured he was going to set sail for greener pastures, but it looks like he's going to try and make a move on the money.

The fact that Raylan ultimately pulled back and saved Bob while nothing will stop Boyd would seem to point to a more favorable outcome for Raylan. Would seem to.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"It’s just that Raylan doesn’t give a shit anymore."
- Raylan Givens, the Honey Badger of Harlan County.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading next Tuesday at the same time.

And based off these last four masterpiece episodes, this finale is going to be one for the books. And if it delivers like I truly believe it will, this season will go down either as my favorite, or will be tied with season two, I think. And how many other shows can do that? Go out on top?

If they wanted to turn us against Boyd, having him shoot Bob was certainly a good way to do it. He'd better recover quickly so that he can interrupt the inevitable Boon-Raylan showdown and put a few bullets in Boon's head.

(Favorite little detail of the night: the hood-locks on Bob's Gremlin.)

Anyone else think that the fact that Boon keeps his chamber clear will come back to bite him in the ass against Raylan?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Loved that line. And I love that, even though the gloves are off now, Raylan and Boyd still delight in their banter back and forth with each other.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"It's nice in there -- got an air-freshener smells like a mocha latte."

Thank God Bob is alive. I was so scared he wouldn't make it. I thought he was basically dead as soon as he pulled his phone out to track down his car.

Avery Markham's a practical man, and that's going to be his downfall, because no one in Harlan is practical. It's a county full of Earls -- they'd rather kill you on principle, than do something that actually makes sense -- who happily carry grudges over your great-great-grandfather doing something to their great-great-grandfather.

Many a carpetbagger has tried to take over Harlan without realizing this, and many a carpetbagger has failed. Loretta's got something up her sleeve.

I think the best thing about this episode was that it ultimately proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Raylan is indeed a hero, and that Boyd is indeed a villain.

Underneath all their similarities, Raylan will go and save Bob before he tries to kill Boyd, and Boyd, despite being flattered by a man who sincerely meant all his compliments, would still kill him in cold blood.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
Is Ava the most conspicuous fugitive ever?

I loved the contrast between Ava's acute understanding of how fucked they were, and her uncle's naive confidence that they'd given everybody the slip.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Markham just doesn't get it. Loretta has to remind him of Mags, yes? (Right?)

Can anybody here see Mags letting somebody who fucks with her that much stay one up on her like that? No way.

Markham and Boon are both toast. It's just a question of who their killers are going to be. That shot of Tim in the "Stay tuned..." lends credence to the whole, "Tim-shoots-Boon" theory.

(Tim: "To him, you're the good news.")

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Anyone else think that the fact that Boon keeps his chamber clear will come back to bite him in the ass against Raylan?

It could but that is a single action revolver, no safety, and it is not drop safe. The firing pin would rest on the primer if the chamber was not empty. Drop the gun, it could/will go off. Catch the hammer on a piece of clothing, it could/will go off. It would be foolish to carry one otherwise. Plus that's the way they did it on the old west and Boon seems infatuated with the old gunslingers.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
joshEH said:
Markham just doesn't get it. Loretta has to remind him of Mags, yes? Right?

Didn't Markham himself tell her that in this episode?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
From Yost's postmortem this week:

Let’s start with Boyd’s final conversation with Hagan (Shea Whigham) in the truck. It feels like we’ve been building to that talk all series: Boyd is like Harlan’s Billy the Kid, and we all love a good outlaw story; but the cold, hard truth is that sometimes outlaws don’t give a s–t about you and may shoot you in the head. Is that how you view that moment?

Yeah. That was part of the thinking behind it. Walton struggled mightily with this storyline and with that scene, but when we told him that we’d cast Shea Whigham, he kind of melted and said, “Okay. Now it’s going to work.” He just loves Shea, and they’ve known each other, I’m sure, for years. Shea just brought a truth and a weight and a reality to it that just meshed well with where Boyd was and is. So it was a tough one. I think the way Pressman shot it was beautiful.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/justified-collateral-recap-postmortem-115782545995.html

And yeah, the finale better be longer than 44 minutes (without commercials). I know this show has nearly perfected economical storytelling that packs a lot into a short time, but it seems like there are a shitload of loose ends to tie up before we say goodbye to everyone.

We'll probably get, like, 6 extra minutes. But I'll take it.

Scott Hanson said:
Didn't Markham himself tell her that in this episode?

Yeah, I think he might have, now that you mention it -- will be doing a rewatch tonight, and definitely looking forward to seeing that scene again. Some great acting, there.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
joshEH said:
Yeah, I think he might have, now that you mention it -- will be doing a rewatch tonight, and definitely looking forward to seeing that scene again. Some great acting, there.

He kind of mumbles it. I actually had to rewind to see what he said in most of that conversation with Loretta. I think Sam Elliott, much like Nick Nolte, should have embedded subtitles during all their scenes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Markham's flaw is that he actually reads women pretty well, but then proceeds to ignore his instincts out of some sort of paternalistic impulse that hasn't served him well all season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Raylan Givens, Boyd Crowder and Avery Markham are soon to converge, Mr. Vasquez -- like the aligning of the planets if those planets carried guns and hated my guts. I don't ever plan on returning to Kentucky."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks