What's new

Just lost my job... (1 Viewer)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
And I'm quite happy!
The severance + back pay + vacation turns out to be a decent chunk of change, and I can start collecting unemployment right away (which will more than cover all of my bills, food, etc.)
I need two more classes to finish my degree and found a community college to take them at. They actually look 10x more interesting than anything I could have taken at my own college (and are 1/12th the price).
Gonna catch up on reading and some movies, and hopefully find a new (and better) job on the way. My old boss and another manager have already asked for my resume to give to people they know that are hiring.
The upper management apparently chose who to lay off... I was the lowest paid employee (by a lot) in my department, and by all accoutns did good work. Even better, I owed nearly $10k in tuition re-imbursement if I quit.
However, it was fairly well known I wasn't happy with my salary and wanted to leave. I don't think they looked at the tuition thing, because, frankly, I couldn't afford to leave of my own accord!
So provided I'm not jobless for like 10 months or something, I am quite happy. Besides, my company is surely on it's way out of business anyway: We had $0 in sales last quarter.
I was thinking I might even learn to cook (gasp!) in my new found free time...
:)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Really sorry to hear this. Hope it really works out to the best for you. Good luck and keep thinking positive.

Jon

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Bill, that's awesome! No, really. It sounds like you will be much better off. Good luck in finding a new, more exciting job.

Jared

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Bill: At least you see the bright side of a scary situation. My advice, though, is not to let the grass grow beneath your feet. Please devote some energy every day to the job search--but after you give yourself a week off to collect your thoughts. You are also fortunate that your state has the highest unemployment benefits in the nation. Best of luck. And remember--don't let that grass grow! JB

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
You had me worried for a second!!

If you learn how to cook, will this mean no more buffalo burgers for you??

Best of luck! Make sure you take the time to come up here and do some skiing in your new found free time.

Later!

Gregg

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
I think Raising Arizona sums it up nicely:

you're young and you got your health, what you want with a job?

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I haven't had a job since January. But, I start a networking position/tech support job on Monday. I'm happy to finally get a paycheck. Now I can build up my DVD collection.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I got laid off from RCA about a month ago. I was worried and busy looking at first, but I have had 2nd thoughts since then.
I could get by pretty decently on student loans and a part time job, so I'm thinking of going back for my Masters full-time in CS. That way I would be more marketable in Indianapolis (a horrible tech/engineering area). Database coding is a key in this insurance city.
And at the same time I think I will continue my film courses as well.
Still I'm not 100% on this decision. I have been letting the grass grow and I would agree with Jack that it's not such a good idea.
I have been seeing plenty of films though and it also means I'm free during the day on the 19th, which is very good indeed. :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
What went on at Bill's work:

CEO: "Anderson, we have too many employees.. we need to cut some slack".

ANDERSON: "Oh yes sir, I know just the Slack to cut."

Hahahah.. Sorry Bill, I just couldn't leave that one alone. Good luck with whatever you persue.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Bill, that's too bad, I think. Anyway hope you can find something decent soon. Good luck on finishing your degree. What's your degree in by the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks