Just finished my Tumult / 18PR enclosure :) *pics*

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Anthony_Gomez, May 4, 2003.

1. A few details. Base cube is 23". The inner shell is 5/8" 11-ply BB. the outer shell is 3/4" MDF. I have some wall "braces" running on the "unused" walls using more 3/4" MDF (for 2.125" thickness in down the center lines).
    Had some extra egg crate from the Usher project, so I cut it up and "semi evenly" distributed it on all the open surfaces. Not pretty, but it can't hurt[​IMG]

The black is a few coats of black primer followed with a few coats of Duplicolor TruckBed Linner.

The legs and edges are 3/4" walnut. The top is bookmatched resawn walnut (~1/8" thick).
    The walnut was sanded up to 220 then finished with many (I forget how many [​IMG]...maybe 8-10) coats of Minwax high gloss wipe on poly (with the usual sanding and 0000 steel wool).

here are some pics (I kept them under 100k each)
    http://www.dslextreme.com/users/louieg/sub1.jpg
    http://www.dslextreme.com/users/louieg/sub2.jpg
    http://www.dslextreme.com/users/louieg/sub3.jpg
    http://www.dslextreme.com/users/louieg/sub4.jpg

...have the PR's at the apartment...now I just need my Tumult [​IMG]

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Looks like it is going to be a real monster, don't care for the rounded corners much, otherwise, a beaut.

TV

3. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

All I can say is "WOW" !!! That is one nice looking sub!

Greg

4. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

I agree, very nice. That walnut is truly beautiful!

5. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

I think it is really nice [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Thanks guys [​IMG] Kinda borrowed the idea from Stryke's rendering.

Tom, you'd rather none of the corners are round and have them sharp or chamfered?

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Looks wonderful. You must really be itching for that Tumult.

Edit: Guess I'll add back in something, what Anthony was referring to was posted before I got to the B4 allignment thread. Seemed a little inappropriate after I read that [​IMG]

PS- Damnit Anthony, why can't you, Brian, Kyle or Hank live where I do. 30 year old farm equipment just isn't the greatest for trying to do fine wood work :p)

8. dry humur + dry humor= confused humor [​IMG]

doh Dustin!...you edit your post, then I have to edit mine :b

9. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Love the walnut!....and the fact that both the vertical and horizontal edges are rounded [​IMG]

10. Chad Kuypers

Chad Kuypers Stunt Coordinator

11. Chris Keen

Chris Keen Stunt Coordinator

Wow!

Now that is one really shweeeet lookin' three-doored dog house. You must really love your pooch. You even put some of that postur-pedic matress stuffin' down for him!

[​IMG]

I hope you get your sub driver soon. Gotta suck waitin' on just that!

12. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

TV, thought you liked the rounded corners? B4 has all rounded corners. :)

Chad, glad to see you back around. Drop me an email if you get a chance.

John

13. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

now THAT is what this stuff is all about. great looking sub there AG.

14. Demas

Demas Agent

Looks very impressive to say the least, but even more importantly is how professional the overall look ends up from your hard work, well done indeed.In fact many subwoofers don't have the same level of craftmanship, which further gives you credit.

How much power are you going to feed the Tumult, and what amp would you use.Not to change the topic of discussion, but i'm still not completely sure how much power is required to successfully drive a Tumult to its clean linear limits, without any smoke arising as it's a tricky proposition to give the correct number out of thin air, only to watch the driver leap out the enclosure and into the swimming pool, if you grasp this aspect.

Would 1000watts be the most efficient number?Obviously this question also depends on the enclosure size, but how do you know even then how much power is required for full use.Such as an example of a 8ft^3 sealed enclosure, how do you tell in advance?

Anyways, good to see the level of craftmanship from individuals that are keen on expanding their horizons, hope i can build the same level of beautiful enclosures(or close that is) as you one day, but keep the good work up.

Regards

15. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Man, I LOVE the look of that sub, the grain of the wood is just too dam sexy! Nice work Anthony!

16. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Anthony

As Cam made mention, the grain is just beautiful, a total TKO!

Just plain sweet looking all round and that WOOD GRAIN, WOWZER... Your wood work speaks for itsef Anthony, no words needed!

Regards
    Geoff

17. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Nice sub Tony, the finish on the walnut is very impressive. The craftsmanship looks great, but I'm gonna have to take my magnifying glass with me when I audition her just to be sure. [​IMG]

In about 2 weeks I'll be ready to unveil my true tempest masterpiece. The most WAF friendly subwoofer in the world.. designed by a woman... who spared no expense.

I'll call it: The $6,000 Dresser Tempest.

It may not look nearly as cool as Anthony's, but: let this be a warning to potential builders that you keep your spouses away from my post during this time.
    [​IMG]

18. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Actually, the concept for this was "borrowed" (to put it nicely) from a quick sketch I rendered on a napkin after a band rehearsal one night at the Miss America Diner on West Side Ave. in Jersey City, N.J. back in October, 1993. The ketchup/A1 of my conceptual drawing has here been replaced with walnut, but the resemblance is unmistakeable to even the densest observer. I recall (foggily, I admit, preoccupied as I was at the time with nailing Slash's final solo from November Rain) throwing the napkin away in a fit of artistic frustration unprecedented short of the lopping of Vincent's ear, but I apparently hadn't shredded it completely.