Pics of my Tempest sonosub with integral amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hank Frankenberg, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Finished a few weeks ago, but am new to posting photos, so have had to learn the hard way. I wanted a unique unit, so I designed an enclosure for the plate amp so the sub would be a stand-alone unit. Low Q, 6.2 ft^3 ported, tuned to 17.5 Hz.
    Photo showing the plate amp (Adire AVA250) enclosure I made w/MDF: http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/sub1.jpg
    Glueing up (good use for barbell weights): http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/sub2.jpg
    Positioning the leg mounting plates: http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/sub3.jpg
    Tempest tweaked. I later removed the front gasket ring: http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/sub4.jpg
    Tempest installation. Note the spikes on the legs; no dancing around over the carpet allowed: http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/sub5.jpg
    At home and seriously dropping jaws: http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/sub6.jpg
    I covered the tube with un-backed carpet material from Parts Express. The cap finish is grey faux-stone (granite)spray paint with a sealing/protective coat of matte clear spray. Thanks for your indulgence.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Your links still are not working, perhaps Geocities is down?

4. Hank Frankenberg

Gregg, sorry, I'm new to posting pics - had to learn by trial and error. I entered a post on HT Talk like I did here and it worked fine. Still a neophyte. Thanks! [​IMG]

5. Hank Frankenberg

Gregg, links haven't worked for me. I was trying to post the photos here. Like I said it worked fine on HTT and also on the test area on HTF. ???

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hey, the links all work now - must have been a temporary problem with geocities. Anyone know of a more reliable source for storing photo files?

7. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

I still can't see them.
    ------------------

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Geocities is being a real pain to link photo from. I tried doing the same with my center channel speaker construction pix, and gave up and put the photos somewhere else. I don't know if Geocities is actively squelching photo file display from non-Geocities webpages or what.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

10. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hank, Email the pics to me and I'll put them on stryke.com for you and send you back the links to post here.
    John

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Hank,
    Here's the deal on Geocities: they are doing something weird, but if you get the "error" screen from Geocities, just highlight the URL in the location box of new browser window that just opened up, and hit the "enter" and you'll see your pix.
    ------------------

12. Anthony F.

Anthony F. Stunt Coordinator

My goodness, that's one big-*ss sub! Is that a 30" tube?! I like how you attached the amp. When I was designing my sub I wondered if such a thing waspossible--looks like a good design. Is there a previous thread on your building process? I'm curious how you pulled it off. In any event, great job! Have you fired it up yet? [​IMG]

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Just pondering outloud, but I think if I had to use a plate amp, I'd just make my tube taller. Then I'd prepare an internal endcap 1.5" thick, and mount the plate amp to the internal endcap. Work out the wiring issues (drill a hole in the extra tube length for the power cord and wires), and then drop endcap where I needed for the required internal volume inside the sonotube, tack in nails into the internal endcap and caulk it. On the extra tube length above the internal endcap, you will want to vent it with holes in the tube for air flow for the amp (just perforate the tube at judicious spots). Then drop in another top endcap with a piece that fits inside the tube, glued to a piece that is about an inch wider on the outside of the tube. When you need access to the amp, just pop the top endcap off (no glue is needed on the this final top endcap, it'll act like a lid.
    Anyone want to build this? [​IMG]
    ------------------

14. Hank Frankenberg

Anthony, thanks! The tube is actually 24" diameter. To attach the amp enclosure, I marked the outline of the enclosure on the carpet with tape, then chose my 6 screw hole locations and the wire entry location, melted through the carpet material at those locations with my soldering iron (you don't want to drill through carpet), then drilled my screw and wire holes through the tube. I placed the enclosure back within the outline, pushed a pen through the holes from inside the tube to mark the enclosure, then drilled my screw holes. I screwed particle board screws from inside the tube into the enclosure edges. It fits perfectly and won't budge. After I ran the driver wires through their hole I generously caulked that hole.
    Yes, I have fired it up and have amazed friends with the sound [​IMG] The tube itself is 27" long, but the sub is big and might be a spouse acceptance challenge for some.
    Patrick, I tried the trick you suggested on geocities and it didn't work. I'll look for another host server, but John J has offered to help me in the meantime. I may not get to it until Monday though. I'm sorry I posted this and wasted the space before thoroughly testing geocities. I did post one photo in the test area and it worked fine.
    Re your idea to mount a plate amp: I was going for minimum overall sub height. If someone incorporates your idea, I would like to see the finished sub. Man, the ideas really flow on this forum - it's great!

15. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Adire recommends against horizontal mounting of the plate amp (AVA 250). I assume for heat dissipation.
    Pete
    ------------------

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Pete, a few whisper quiet CPU fans might cool off the plate amps well enough. Still just a thought.
    Hank, I don't know why my trick with Geocities doesn't work for you, I see all your photos when I highlight the location URL and hit Enter. I'm using Netscape, if that helps troubleshooting. Mighty nice of John J to offer the webspace.
    ------------------

17. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I still cant get the pics!
    Wes

18. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Wont load here either. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Smoothe

19. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

Tried to help you hank but nothing seems to work?

20. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer