Sub Placement / Configuration (Pics!)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack*Mains, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone:
    A little while ago I've started on my new HT system, but due to some work I've had to do and lack of money, the project has been put on hold, untill now.

Right now the setup consists of two Mini-Monitors placed on top of some old towers, an ESB Shiva, and two Atoms in the back.

After having the sub for a while, I've noticed huge peaks and valleys throughout the room, and although the responce at listening position is pretty good, there are other places where the bass is much tighter, louder, and more defined. I've experimented with different placements, but it seems to be working best in the position it is right now.

Here's a few pics to get us started:
    First, a layout of the lower level:
    Basement

A Few Pics of the Room
    Pic1
    Pic2

And The Sub
    I used oak veneer to cover it as you can see in the first few pics, and later gave it a rosewood stain finish.
    The bottom may look a little worn in the last pics as i've been moving it around, experimenting with placement.
    Bottom

Sub1
    Sub2
    Sub3
    Sub4
    Sub5
    Sub6

And finally, I don't know why, but I felt like sticking my hand with a camera through the port and take a few inside pics.
    Inside

So a few things I've been wondering about:
    SVS subs all have a 'plate' on the bottom upon which the sub rests. Would it be beneficial to create one of those to perhaps change the in-room response? Right now it's firing down onto carpet, which is laid over linoleum, which sits on top of the concrete.

Also, should I try some inexpensive room treatments to perhaps even out the peaks?

Enjoy the pics, and thanks for all of your help.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

First you need to measure the in-room response of the sub.

BTW unless you have custom baffle step compensation in your mains, they're too close to the side walls.....

3. Jack*Mains

I will do that as soon as I get an SPL meter, rght now im going by ear.

What do you think of the setup right now? Im planning on replacing the Mini's with Studio 60's or Monitor 11s, and using the Minis as rear surrounds.

4. darren_s

darren_s Agent

What kind of material do you have on the walls?? I made some acoustic panels for my HT room using R30, poly batting, burlap and I made 6 of them so far planing on 2 more, but after I install 4 one in each corner and 2 in ceiling corners it made a HUGE difference the High freq sounded better and the Low freq where alot better, cost me $100 for a treatment worth $1000.

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Hi Jack,

A plate on the bottom wont help unless the floor is made of wood, not concrete. I was looking at your sub and it looks great, but it is not oak. Maybe pine or birch. I agree with ThomasW that you need to get an SPL meter and calibrate and measure in room responses and leave it where response is flattest. Those towers are "white van specials" if you didn't know. My friend bought the same ones. As for the Paradigms I would trade in the others and start over with the Studios if you like them and add the rest as you can (cc470,adp470)

6. Jack*Mains

Graham,

I was simply going to use the mini monitor for surrounds.
    I prefer the sound of direct speakers rather than di-poles, and I dont think going to Studio 20's in the back is worthwhile.

Thanks for your input!

7. Jack*Mains

The ceeling is made out of soft tiles, they seem like they would absorb sound fairly well, but im not sure.

There isnt a whole lot of room to put treatments on the walls, but will corner traps really help out with the higher frequencies?