What's new

Just a noob question about projectors (1 Viewer)

CharlesLA

Auditioning
So i have decided that i want a projector after checking all the more expensive tv's. I have been reading a ton of different websites and i'am totally lost!!! I have a space that gives me around a 100 inch screen but i can only go back 10 to 11 feet. I play a ton of videogames (exp. xbox,gamecube) I also watch dvds, but i want to also use it with my computer, mainly for pc games. I have around 1500 to spend, so im on a tight budget!!!! just need some help in which way to go and where to find a decent deal on it. I dont mind waiting a couple extra weeks and spend a little more if it means a whole lot better performance. i have been checking out the infocus 4805. Just dont know if it will look right at the distance i have! Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I have a 4805, and love it, but I don't think it's going to work for you. You really need to sit back 2x the screen width for the pixel structure to work, and also, it's not really a high enough resolution projector to do a ton of computer stuff.

You need at least a 720p projector, but budget will be a problem.

You're best bet is probably the new Sanyo 700, but it's closer to $2K on the street.

Good luck-

Wes

CharlesLA

Auditioning
I was thinking around a 90inch screen how far would i have to go back for it to look right and if i go up to a 720p will all the items i want to use work right

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
The 4805 has a resolution of about 848x480, the panasonic's resolution is 1280x720 or 720P.

CharlesLA

Auditioning
Brian do you own the l500 and if u do what do u think! I like what ive read about it but i understand that doesnt mean its good.

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
Migrated from X1 to LT260 to L500. Absolutly loved the NEC, but the HD performance was just a little soft. After returning from CEDIA and spending an entire day checking out 720P LCDs we just had to go 720P. The AE700 rocks but is too pricey, the L500 throws a nice picture, superior in detail with HD but I like the 260 better for DVD and NTSC.

For the money the L500 rocks, the smoothscreen works really well, just wish the CR was better.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

I would suggest looking at the benq6200. It is native 4:3 which would be better for pc games and xbox games than a 16:9 projector. It should be less or around $1500. Has a relatively short throw. I have mine back 14 or 15 feet and get anywhere from 100" to 120" size screen depending on the zoom.

CharlesLA

Auditioning
I just read reviews on the benq pb6200, the only problem i see is that tv viewing is not good, and it doesnt have a dvi input. I have a pretty dark room so as of the moment im sliding towards the panasonic pt-l500u!!! My only concern is the contrast ratio.

CharlesLA

Auditioning
one last question and im sorry for how many i have but do you think its worth the extra 500 and wait to get the pt-ae700u

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
The PT-L500 and AE500 are identical. Panasonic uses the "L" designation for business channel distribution and "AE" for HT channel. The CR on the 500 is fine, you must understand that I am jaded from experiencing quite a few PJ's, if it's your first you probably won't notice it. The other thing you can do, (Which I did) is hang Black velvet or black cloth above, below, and on the sides of the screen. Besides the effect of the screen "floating", your perceived black level improves.

I like the NEC better than the 6200, the NEC has really accurrate colors in comparison. The one thing I noticed immediately going from the X1 to the 260 is how much more accurrate the uniforms were on the Miami Dolphins, Cowboys, and San Jose Sharks were rendered.

Is the 700 worth $500 more than the 500? If you are jaded like me AND can comfortably afford the extra money without skimping on the rest of your system then yes, if you sacrifice the quality of components, interconnects etc because of the extra $500 then no.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks