What's new

Disney+ The Mandalorian (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hadn’t seen a trailer or followed the production, but as I watched it I was surprised how much it felt like Clone Wars and Rebels (which I loved), and then I saw Dave Filoni’s name at the end. Even more excited to know he’s involved.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
72158207_2787705014595823_5083370553918619648_n.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I thought it was good not great. But of course I’m sticking with it. ;)

Yeah, Chapter 1 is definitely in the "good" column. But damn...

That freaking ending was damn awesome. I was expecting a reveal of who the bounty was on, but didn't expect that reveal. Th way the Mandalorian just shoots IG-11 in the head to save the "child" tells me a lot about where this show may be going: he has to keep this child safe from all manner of scum coming after them. I know there will be more, but that seems like a good place to go for the show.

The end credits music is very appropriate for the series as well. It's not as catchy as the John Williams music (nothing ever will be), but it was right for this show.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I enjoyed it, particularly the end. It dragged a bit in the middle of the episode but I'm hooked to see the rest of it now and I wasn't sure before based on the trailers and other footage.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I loved the IG-11 animation. But the episode felt very slight and for all the talk of feature film level production values, it didn't look as good as Star Trek Discovery. But it's miles ahead of the Apple+ offerings.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SOLO.was.more.Star Wars than this, but it wasn't terrible. Although, the reveal at the end did nothing for me. It didn't make a lot of sense because there was no context.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm hoping that Disney has learned it's lesson and is producing their "Star Wars" content for fans instead of focusing on agenda-based story-telling.

Didn't someone get banned once before for spouting this crap??? :rolleyes:

We watched The Mandalorian last night and liked it enough. It didn't really grab me as I'd hoped it would, but it was enjoyable. Not great, but good enough. That ending was unexpected and will definitely bring me back for more. My wife is looking forward to eventually seeing Pedro Pascal without his helmet on.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I loved the IG-11 animation. But the episode felt very slight and for all the talk of feature film level production values, it didn't look as good as Star Trek Discovery. But it's miles ahead of the Apple+ offerings.

Kinda agree. I've been thinking this through and it's like Chapter 1 was a prequel to the actual series. Like a comic book which is setting up the universe, etc. I'm not 100% sure where they spent $8.5 million on this episode, but I guess IG-11 and the action will do that...?

SOLO.was.more.Star Wars than this, but it wasn't terrible. Although, the reveal at the end did nothing for me. It didn't make a lot of sense because there was no context.

Out of curiosity, what is Star Wars for you? Is it places and names and Jedi and Sith? Or is it a run down universe where things aren't bright and shiny and people eek out a living?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Out of curiosity, what is Star Wars for you? Is it places and names and Jedi and Sith? Or is it a run down universe where things aren't bright and shiny and people eek out a living?

It is all of those things. The STAR WARS universe was never bright and shiny. There is always an element of people eking out a living. If a person was looking for bright and shiny,they would watch STAR TREk.

To feel like STAR WARS the story has to make feel like I'm watching the very first one in its pacing, tone and action beats.
To me, even with its awkward opening, SOLO, overall, reminded me of a classic STAR WARS story. There is something about The Mandalorian's pacing, structure and music that fails to give me that STAR WARS feel, even though it is set in the SW universe.

I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something missing in terms of heart. It felt "dead" to me. However, it was only the first episode. It's not terrible, so I'll keep.watching it. I may feel different about it once it concludes.

In the first episode, the most lively thing about it was the interaction between him and the bounty hunter droid.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
All fair. I was just curious.

I'm not emotionally invested with The Maldalorian yet and I don't know if I ever will be. I'm more than willing to give this show, and any of the upcoming ones, all the time they need to find their legs and to tell their stories.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think that's because Solo is an overall fun movie like the original one.

I would agree with that and I guess that is what I look for when I watch anything based on the Star Wars universe.

I guess that is why I don't like TLJ. He went too far out of the box for me. Although, to clarify, going out of the box had nothing to do with casting women or people of colour in leading roles. I just don't like what he did with the elements.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would agree with that and I guess that is what I look for when I watch anything based on the Star Wars universe.

I guess that is why I don't like TLJ. He went too far out of the box for me. Although, to clarify, going out of the box had nothing to do with casting women or people of colour in leading roles. I just don't like what he did with the elements.
Needless to say people will disagree but I think the humor and weirdness in The Last Jedi is the closest to the original movie than any of the SW movies including the ones Lucas worked on. That first Star Wars movie has some wonderfully strange stuff in it.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
While there were 'Star Wars" elements, it didn't feel like Star Wars. It felt more like the series was trying to rip off the concept of firefly,

The Mandalorian is more of an homage to Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns, with the titular character literally a "Man With No Name", at least so far. Star Wars has done these sorts of genre homages from the start, from movie serials, to Kurosawa, to WW2 movies. I wouldn't say they're a rip off. And it made it feel MORE like Star Wars to me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The Mandalorian is more of an homage to Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns, with the titular character literally a "Man With No Name", at least so far. Star Wars has done these sorts of genre homages from the start, from movie serials, to Kurosawa, to WW2 movies. I wouldn't say they're a rip off. And it made it feel MORE like Star Wars to me.

That is the vibe I got, and it works. I loved the IG-whatever Robot, and Mandalorian working together. I thought it was comical, and cool at the same time. Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks