What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney+ The Mandalorian (1 Viewer)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Otherwise I really enjoyed it. I wonder if by the end of the season he will have upgraded armor.

I need to rewatch it, I was running about and doing some things and wasn't always paying full attention.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Otherwise I really enjoyed it. I wonder if by the end of the season he will have upgraded armor.

I need to rewatch it, I was running about and doing some things and wasn't always paying full attention.

I want to rewatch it as well, just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I enjoyed the first episode. I think it was tonally superb and the score was deliciously alien and reminiscent of Morricone in some places and ways (adding to that Western/Man with No Name framework). I think the pacing was a little odd. I liked all the pieces of this episode, but the flow wasn't as organic as I was expecting. That might become a trademark of the show, or it could just be the show finding its feet.

I liked the mystery, I liked the intriguing reveal at the end and, based on what Werner Hertzog's character had said, could have given an indication to his interests or intent (though deception is more likely).

While the pacing felt a little off, I did enjoy the slower approach. Lots of shots of the main character walking around which gave us time to invest in who he is and showcased a little of the world this TV show is building. I thought the visual effects were excellent though watching in 4K/Dolby Vision was stretching them a little bit (some shots looked more fake than others in ways that I think 1080p could have softened).

I already want to watch it again so I think that's a good sign. I am already invested in the character and am looking forward to the main cast building out and seeing where this thing goes. It does bode well for all kinds of story potential in this universe on the 'small' screen. This is far and away the best new show on any streaming service lately and a real asset for Disney+.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I also wanted to say that moments in the score reminded me of Rocky (or at the very least, Ludwig Göransson's scores for the Creed movies he score, with a 70's/Bill Conti-inspired vibe). I am listening to the score on Amazon's streaming plan and really enjoying it.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Anyone else read the hilarious interview with Werner Herzog in Variety?

Favreau has made some highly successful films recently; did you feel an element of pressure working with him?

I do not know what other films he has made.

You don’t?

No.

He made “The Lion King” earlier this year with Beyonce and Donald Glover.

Well I like “The Lion King,” but the animated version 30 years back or so. That was a wonderful film, the music was particularly great, Hans Zimmer’s score.

You have said before that you haven’t seen any of the “Star Wars” films. Do you feel that affected your performance in any way?

No, it doesn’t really matter.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/we...star-wars-jon-favreau-disney-plus-1203400810/

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I also wanted to say that moments in the score reminded me of Rocky (or at the very least, Ludwig Göransson's scores for the Creed movies he score, with a 70's/Bill Conti-inspired vibe). I am listening to the score on Amazon's streaming plan and really enjoying it.

I have it on my phone and it's really good. I was especially taken with the end credit music and and visuals that went with it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else read the hilarious interview with Werner Herzog in Variety?

Favreau has made some highly successful films recently; did you feel an element of pressure working with him?

I do not know what other films he has made.

You don’t?

No.

He made “The Lion King” earlier this year with Beyonce and Donald Glover.

Well I like “The Lion King,” but the animated version 30 years back or so. That was a wonderful film, the music was particularly great, Hans Zimmer’s score.

You have said before that you haven’t seen any of the “Star Wars” films. Do you feel that affected your performance in any way?

No, it doesn’t really matter.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/we...star-wars-jon-favreau-disney-plus-1203400810/
I still think it would have been hilarious if he was actually a massive Star Wars fan. "People don't this but every year I go to Comic Con dressed as a 501st Stormtrooper."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What planet do we think he was on at the end? Personally, I think it was
Tatooine. From space, it looked like it, complete with a blue aura, like in A New Hope. The land and architecture sure looked like it too.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What planet do we think he was on at the end? Personally, I think it was
Tatooine. From space, it looked like it, complete with a blue aura, like in A New Hope. The land and architecture sure looked like it too.

I thought the same, but that makes the galaxy really, really small. Not that the previous movies didn't do that already, however.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought the same, but that makes the galaxy really, really small. Not that the previous movies didn't do that already, however.

Especially when you consider that the Obi-Wan series will have to be set there, at least in part. On the other hand, how many desert planets like that are there?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Especially when you consider that the Obi-Wan series will have to be set there, at least in part. On the other hand, how many desert planets like that are there?

Take this plot synopsis for Chapter 1 for what it is and where it came from: Wikipedia. It clearly states the answer...

Five years after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, a bounty hunter known as The Mandalorian enters a bar on an artic world and, after a skirmish with several patrons, finds and collects his bounty. The Mandalorian is underpaid for his most recent bounties from his guild contact, Greef Carga, and takes an under-the-table job from “the Client”. The Mandalorian meets “the Client” who demands he find a fifty-year-old target; present also at this meeting is Dr. Pershing and several Stormtroopers. The Doctor insist that the target be brought back alive but “the Client” is notably indifferent to the targets well-being. The Mandalorian takes a bar of Beskar steel, given as a down payment from “the Client”, to the Armorer where she crafts The Mandalorian a piece of armor. Traveling to planet Arvala-7, he is helped by a native named Kuiil who states that many bounty hunters have been there before and all have died. Upon reaching the location, the Mandalorian reluctantly teams up with droid IG-11 to clear the facility and find the bounty, which is an infant belonging to the same species as deceased Jedi Grand Master Yoda. IG-11 attempts to terminate the infant only for the Mandalorian to shoot and destroy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks