What's new

JM SW900 Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Mike,
At the beginning, I have tried the JMLab SW700, and that was not very impressive comparing to other subwoofer in its price. However, after reading the home cinema choice review, it pesuades me to give the Electra SW900 a listen. After I listened to it, I decided to buy it because it is streets ahead of the SW700 and even SW800. Also the price I got it for was a bargain (about $900 US (display model)).

I have no regret of buying the sub. Some of my friends want to buy it too, but they cannot get it at my price anymore. They have to pay much more. :D

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
That is a very good price for that sub. I have been very happy as well. As a matter of fact, one of my friends who came over and heard my set up with the 900 said something pretty cool. We were watching The Core. Very good movie to work out a sub with. On the spur of the moment he blurted out "This makes me want to put my Sunfire on eBay and get one of those." Now he did not do it, but the point is that he was impressed with the output. And he has a MrkII. So as with you, everyone who has heard it has been blown away by it.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
There is another review at widescreen review of an entire JM setup. It is located at the audio plus website under reviews for the electra speakers. It was written by Perry Sun in March 03. In it he stated that he was very suprised at what this sub could do being that it was a ported design. I personally like the sound of ported subs over sealed ones. Just my preference.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Is the other pieces of Electra range speaker performance as suprising as the SW900. Because I am looking to get the center speaker. But no $$$ for now, so thinking of getting CC900 and 906 or 907Be currently. Can't afford the 901 and the 927Be like you have there.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Yes
They are equally good. If you are thinking about a 906 for your fronts then the CC900 will be a good choice. I have heard the CC900 many times. It sounds very good. It should make a very nice set up. I have heard the 906 a few times and they sound good as well. As far as not being able to afford what I have, It takes me almost seven months to save up for something. I am willing to wait because I know the pay off will be good in the end. I think the 907Be would be a very good choice. The high's and mid's would be almost equal to the 927. And that tweeter is just incredible. The highs just do not stop. The truth is I would most likely recommend the 907Be. But yes the entire electra range is very good. You might also want to try and get maybe a demo-floor model of the 926. They are outstanding also.

Mike D

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I guess it is in my nature to do what is different. To go the road less traveled. Sometimes when you do that you find a treasure that other people may over look. That is how I feel about the SW900.

Kiet,
did you listen to anything other subs before the SW900. I was seriously thinking about the Dynaudio Contour Sub. But when I heard the SW900, I could not justify the price difference.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Mike,
before I bought the SW900, I went nearly all over town looking for a sub. I heard others like, B&W 675, B&W 850 Velodyne 12" (forgot the model), Mission sub (forgot model), Linn Sub, Sunfire.
To me the SW900 sounded more musical and blends in more than other subwoofers. Only the B&W 850 can match with it. But that is more expensive.

I was surprised you like the Dynaudio sub, because I heard from other ppls saying that their sub is no where near as good as their speakers, and they told me to avoid it. But I never heard it in action myself

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I did like the Dynaudio when I heard it. That was before I heard the SW900. I would always go to the Dynaudio room in my old store because it was one of the best sounding rooms. I was just about committed to that sub. Then I heard the JM room. That was it. All she wrote. I asked him why I never heard this sub before? He said that he wanted me to find it on my own. He new that when I did that it would be over. The dynaudio is a good sub. But the JM is all of that if not a little more and less money. What is not to like. I also heard the B&W 3000. After living with my JM sub, that sounded so bad. All bloated and boomy to me. No regrets against that one. I was even looking at the Martin Logan Descent. That was a good speaker as well. But again it was not as tight, to me. It may go deeper, but overall the SW900 beat it out. Even other people in the store agreeded. When I told them that I bought the 900 they all said that it is one of the best subs on the market.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mike,
Yes, I agree with you that the B&W sub is no where near as good all their lower end sub performance is so-so. Except when you get into the B&W 850, which in Australia is about 50% more than the SW900.
I do not feel that the performance was that much difference, although I think it was rated to be more powerful than SW900. But all that power go to waste as I only turn to about 1/4 (9 oclock) on the sub volume. And it is giving me enough bass for music and movie.

Even the sales person said he cannot believe the performance until he heard it. Because he said the most important aspect of a subwoofer is giving the right amount of bass without revealing the subwoofer. So it disappears in your room.

The SW900 does that extremely well.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I agree 100% Like I said in my review, there were times when I did not know it was on. When my guy installed it in my room and listened to it, his mouth was on the floor He just could not believe it. My mouth was on the floor also.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Just a quick explination. Matrix. Lobby shoot out. With my old sub I thought it sounded good but I always thought that it was mixed with too much bass. Then I put it on with the 900. It sounded incredible. No boomy bass. I could hear the music and the gun shots equally. It was and is great.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
If you have a chance you should listen to other subwoofer in its price range $US1700 - $US2500 and see what is the difference. Do you know if you can have an audition of an SVS sub. Because I really want to know how it compares with this one.I was thinking of getting an SVS sub before I heard the SW900 because all other subs just don't give me the right bass. But it was too much of a hassle, because I need to get it shipped to Australia, plus waiting and import tax.
So I guess it was fate that brought me to the SW900.
:b

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I understand. I don't know any body around me who has an SVS sub. And to have one shipped just so I could compare would be a little bit of a pain. Like I said before I heard the Dynaudio, Martin Logan, Velodyne. Also some Klipsch(don't remember the model). Again for the money this could not be beat. I have no regrets:emoji_thumbsup:

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
If you guys are looking for another movie to test how good your sub is you should check out Brotherhood of The Wolf. It is a French film that just sounds incredible. On the video side, it also looks very good. When I brought it in to the store where I bought my equipment, and showed them the film, they were stunned. If you do get it, make sure you get the single disk version and watch it in French 5.1 with English subtitles. That way you are sure to get the full 5.1 play back.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Kiet,

"I do not feel that the performance was that much difference"
You said that on previous post. I have to agree. When I look for a product I have to look for the value product. It takes me several months to save up and buy something. When I do I have to make sure I am getting the most bang for the buck. With this sub I believe that. I always have to balance the performance issue and see what will match up to my means. This sub did that. Am I saying that this is the best sub on the planet. No. But I do feel that it is a very capable sub. And I could not justify spending more.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike,
It seems like you have a very large collection of DVDs. (You even got the French movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf"). Coincidently I got that movie too (but in R4 of course) . LOL, the sound is really good and have a good atmosphere feel, but the movie is so-so.
Do you listen to 2 channel music a lot? Because it seems like you are more into movie than music. If you have a chance, you should try hooking the sub to a pair of bookshelf and hear how it blends in with basically any speaker if you get the setting right.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I do listen to 2 channel when I am home and I and not feel like watching a movie. I think it works in that way very well. In my 927 review you can get a feel for what I listen to. But it is a very musical sub.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
In two channel it also blends very well with my mains. It just extends the music instead of trampling it. Once again I find it very tight and not boomy at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks