What's new

Jericho ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, my biggest burning question and my biggest peeve about last night: does Gracie, the store owner, NOT understand that money, her store and possessions are worthless now? Dear lord, in three episodes, she'd tried to shoo the young kid away, complained the town was taking supplies to the shelters and now about "her train", "her store", "her money" and "her stuff"? My god, woman...do you not keep up with current events?

Again, the show isn't grabbing me the way it could and should. Entirely too many people being complete idiots (they're just NOW figuring out they should grill the meat?) and weird leaps in time (we see Jake at the plane during the day and BAM the next thing it's night and he's back with the flight recorder...something's missing there).

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I hope they don't go the route of Alien...... And of course I want to know WHO is coming........

R~

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The store owner's actions do seem a bit odd. I guess they're trying to show confusion as to exactly how bad a shape they're in.

Not sure if this would be considered a spoiler but I scrubbed through the signal they got on tv and it looked like

Washington state (Seattle?)

got nuked. I don't recall this being a possible point of nukage. All the other cities/areas visible on the tv signal were known (just remembered, Dallas is new I think). Unless every major US city got hit I don't see how they're getting that funky signal but not a US signal.

Did Mr. Hawkins say 'we're not ready' when they were talking about the daughter wanting to go to the block party? Can't figure this guy out.

I missed little bits here and there.... did they explain at all why the radiation isn't nearly as bad as feared? Didn't they show a guy walk out after the rain with a geiger (sp?) counter that was barely going off?

I liked when the Mayor (or whatever) gave the warning to the ahole.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I agree I don't care about what happens to any of these guys, the main character is dull, his ex girlfriend is mean and nasty, his brother is a wife cheater, the Store owner is just behind on curent events, All the characters are not reacting to the situation they are in, life is far too normal in Jericho

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The BF brought something up last night I didn't remember until just now.

When Jake is out on the highway and sees the planes, whatever happened to all the birds that had fallen out of the sky? We saw that with Emily in Ep. 1, I think. Granted, it could be a different stretch of highway and whatnot, but you would think there would be at least one bird lying on the ground.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
All right, another refinement of my earlier theory:

It ain't some outside power that's trying to nuke us...it's a schism in our own military; some extreme, neocon-hardliner faction that's seized a bunch of nukes and planted them (or used offshore submarine launches from "sympathetic" commanders, which would allow for very little advance warning) to obliterate a bunch of U.S. cities to affect some as-yet-unrevealed "change" in our nation's policies.

Which fits somewhat with what we saw in the pilot, with vague "escalating tensions" that haven't been truly specifically defined. Might Hawkins (and Jake?) have known something was amiss all along, being hypothetical government spooks or whatever? Particularly considering Jake's many demonstrated "talents," which aren't exactly all that commonplace for everyday rural Kansas shitkickers?

Some widening rift among the politicos and military commanders/Joint Chiefs/whomever that would require them to "break a few eggs" on the way to making that omelette? Detonate some nukes on home soil, blame it on an "enemy," and declare martial law. Win-win.

Too, we haven't heard that Washington, D.C. was expressly hit; the nation's capital could still be intact enough to maintain a functioning chain of command after an overthrow. (Conveniently.) Likewise, we hear of tanks and jets hauling ass from one place to another; it could be absolutely nothing and totally FEMA-related...but what if it isn't? What if the ones "coming" are our own men? Under the command of some shadow-cabal of rogue military officials who started this whole thing?

Only a thought, but having the whole thing actually turn out to have been started by terrorists or whatever would be mezzo-mezzo right now...been there, done that already. It'd be an interesting twist for it to come up as part of a larger, overarching internal conspiracy against the U.S. population, and would provide some major grist for future seasons once the whole "who-nuked-us?" mystery is finally resolved.

That douchenozzle had it coming, trying to "politicize" the whole bomb-shelter issue right when shit's still hitting the fan.

(Christ on a pony, like *HE* would've been made it this mega-top priority to upgrade that shelter years ago if he were Mayor right then instead of McRaney? Would any of us, for that matter, years after the Cold War died out? I mean, like, seriously, dude.... :rolleyes)

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
It was nice to see Mac get a little "testy" :) I sat up a little straighter at that sucker punch. Nice to see he's not just a small town politico with a penchant for flowery rhetoric.

I am still on the fence about this show, but you know what? I'm watching next week... The music is still a little much... To the makers of the show: if it's dramatic, and written well.. I'll notice. I don't need the music to "tell" me so. Just like I don't need a laugh track to tell me something is funny (see Scrubs, The Office, and Earl).

RickGr

Second Unit
Remember its only been 2-3 days in JERICHO not the three weeks from our perspective, so give it some time for the severity to sink in with the population of the town.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
When I first saw the "thing" being walled in I thought nuclear device or dirty bomb. Then I remembered the shot of a drum containing assult rifles. Probably a rainy day stash for more trying times.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to chime in and say I wasn't expecting much from this show but after watching the first 3 episodes back to back, this show got me hooked!

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I know its fiction but the science is WAY off.

The only explanation is that they were not nuclear weapons.

If they were then the show is totally off base.

I will watch it but there is a problem with the premise that they would all probably be dead within 6 months tops.

I know its fiction but if the show is based on nuclear weapons going off then something should follow that idea.

Even the dude from St Louis explained things...then the guy in the rain didn't get sick...no signal after the rain...

Oh and lets not forget, you don't get snow from a bad sat signal, you get macro blocking... :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Gotta call you on this one. It was an old "big dish" not a modern small (18") dish. The old dishes are analog.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Gotta call them on one other thing... Jake called the box a flight data recorder, but if it had the pilots' chatter, that means it was a "cockpit voice recorder," a completely separate "black box." Of course, Jake could simply have gotten it wrong. However, I don't think modern cockpit voice recorders have old-style reel-to-reel tapes.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm in for the next episode.

Jake's old girlfriend's "All About Me" attitude is horrendous. Why does Jake act as if she's worth pursuing? Maybe it's just me, but if I were Jake, I'd be all over the very cute, wire-stripping, Golden-Rule bus-babe like a duck on a June bug. Cute, capable, and gracious -- people don't come any better than that.

Oh, and I think I know Robert Hawkins's secret. I'm only guessing, so it's not really a spoiler, but I think his secret may be...That he's had two-and-a-half years of college. Maybe even out-of-state!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Chinese news report map listed the following cities: Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas, Chicago, New York, Denver, and Atlanta.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I find it interesting that this is apparently not a global catastrophe, but specifically an American one.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Older cockpit/flight data recorders may still use the old endless reel tape for their recordings (max. recording: 30 minutes), but you're essentially right. The newer ones use non-volatile memory, can record a minimum of 2 hours of material from four different sources (pilot/co-pilot, radio and cabin) and can continue recording even if the aircraft's power is lost.

When you think about it, what ever happened to Canada? On 9/11, all foreign aircraft heading to the US were diverted to Canadian airports. If Canada wasn't a target (even terrorist countries hardly ever acknowledge our existence :) ), couldn't the planes in the show have done the same thing?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
(SPOILERS below)

Some interesting new tidbits from a forthcoming episode...which sort of confirm one part of my earlier theory...but we'll see:

In the CBS spoiler for episode 6, apparently right before the power surges out, the townspeople watch as Minutemen missiles are launched into the sky. They also receive a phone call that the Federal Government has been "suspended" (or was it "shut down"?), and that they are now under local authority.
Hmmmm...

Minuteman-III MIRV launch sequence:
  1. The missile launches out of its silo by firing its 1st stage boost motor (A).
  2. About 60 seconds after launch, the 1st stage drops off and the 2nd stage motor (B) ignites. The missile shroud is ejected.
  3. About 120 seconds after launch, the 3rd stage motor (C) ignites and separates from the 2nd stage.
  4. About 180 seconds after launch, 3rd stage thrust terminates and the Post-Boost Vehicle (D) separates from the rocket.
  5. The Post-Boost Vehicle maneuvers itself and prepares for re-entry vehicle (RV) deployment.
  6. The RVs, as well as decoys and chaff, are deployed during backaway.
  7. The RVs and chaff re-enter the atmosphere at high speeds and are armed in flight.
  8. The nuclear warheads detonate, either as air bursts or ground bursts.
Uh-oh...we're on Danger Island now, Chongo.

Someone else recently pointed out a particular book titled The Little Black Book on Atomic War. One of the chapters was called "Quick to the..." -- it was all about having very little or no warning of sub-launched missiles. It states that if a SLBM was launched from, say, the east coast of USA, that it would hit NYC within 4 minutes. If this was indeed a sub job (or in part), it raises some other very interesting questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks