What's new

JBL speakers - budget system (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Okay, guys. With much research, I've pieced together a budget HT that I'll be constructing this fall (hopefully sooner :) ). The total cost of the HT shouldn't exceed $2,500. First of all, I can get JBL's for wholesale. That said, the Northridge series are on top of my list. Unlike suggested msrp's and retail prices, I can attain the N38's for $120 each and N24's for $95/pr (N24's are kind of small.. may consider something different), as well as the N-Center II for about $100.
Anyway, I enjoy hearing you people's opinions. First off, are there any other budget speakers I am overlooking?
Also, in general, what do you fellas think about JBL's in (considering budget)?
Thanks, guys. Just an FYI, they'll probably be paired with a Denon 1802 receiver and a Panasonic RP82 (when available). I also have access to Toshiba products for wholesale which make the television purchase much more desirable.
«edit»
I best throw this in here as well.
The receiver is rated at 80w/channel. The N38's are at 150w. This wouldn't be too underpowering, would it?
With my somewhat lack of knowledge, I don't think it would pose any problems.
Thanks again. :)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
My apologies. I seemed to have missed that thread.

However, it doesn't seem to answer much (if at all) of my questions. I'm also just looking for some educated opinions (stretching further from the other thread).

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
JBL has come out with new models to replace the N38's. They've decided to name them N38. :) I guess I could get the old models for cheaper through the supplier, but they're not listed in the latest catalog. I'd have to place a call.
Thanks for the heads up, though.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Those don't sound like wholesale prices, you could probably do better. When you say you're budget is $2500, is that for speakers or an entire HT (TV, receiver, etc)?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Those are decent prices, especially if you don't have to order them. I'd be wary of UPS as rarely do I get a package that does not have dents or tears.

The N38 + N-center + N26 for surrounds seems like a good budget combo. Team them with a 5.1 receiver and you'll have a nice budget system.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks.
That budget is for the entire system. I'm looking around (rounding up) $1200 for a 32" Toshiba HD TV, $400 for a Denon 1802 receiver, $300 for a Panasonic RP82 (when available), some AR Component/Toslink Cables/16 gauge speaker wire, and that should about do it (except for speakers).
Now, this is a family business that by all means does NOT order or sell many electronics at all. We don't get Circuit City like prices. However, the usual msrp you'll find at Best Buy, for example, is about $200/spkr.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=15&scat=17
$120 doesn't sound too bad considering. I believe the S series is $180 for a nice floor standing main. The rears are more expensive as well as the center. I wasn't sure if it was a big enough step in the quality direction to consider.
That's 'bout all.
I'm still considering all my options. If the Studio Series has a noticeable quality in sound over the Northridge Series, I'll consider saving the extra cash.
Thanks, fellas.
BTW, they are wholesale prices. They're not factory direct, but through DBL distributing. :)

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I'm surprised noone has mentioned this yet, but both JandR and buy.com have the NSP-1 (not NSP-1II, but for our purposes here there's no real difference) for $250 with free shipping. If you add in a good sub and cross over about about 90-100Hz I think it's a mighty good deal.
Having heard the NSP-1 set and owning an S-series set I do think that the S-series is a good step up. I got S38II, S36II, and an S-CenterII for $760 delivered from Onecall, and I'm sure I could have gone even lower if I put any effort into it. If you're on a tighter budget I'm pretty confident that 4 original S26's and an original S-Center can be had for just alittle more than an N38+N26+NCenter, and sound better.
Just don't forget to get a decent sub, as all of these options essentially require one, and it may well cost you about 1/3 of your overall speaker budget (at least mine did). Also factor in costs for stands/brackets, too, they can be more expensive than you might think for pre-made ones, although simple stands are easy to make out of some melamine.
Oh, and of course don't be afraid to haggle with JandR and Onecall, you can almost always get a better deal than what they have listed on their site, especially if you're ordering alot at once. The worst they can say is "no" :D
Happy Shopping :)
-- Dave

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Dave. Checking out the older model Studio line may be a good option. With their new models out, the old Studios should be pretty dern cheap.
BTW, I will probably be getting a JBL PB10 (well under $200, again.. wholesale). I forgot to point that out. :)
«edit»
BTW, any good url's for cheap online retailers for speakers? (maybe even good HT retailers in general)
Thanks again!!

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I recently helped my sister pick out components for her first HT system. Ended up with NSP-1 and a PB10 (I recommended a PB12, but she thought it was too large). For the $450 she paid I thought it sounded pretty good, especially for a non-audiophile ;) If you can get a similarly good deal on a PB12 and it fits in with your room then I would suggest that as the consensus seems to be that it's a decent step up form the PB10 or Sony WM40.
And yeah, the old studio series and northridge lines are selling at fire-sale pricing right now to make room for the markII's. Of course those in the know (like us :D) realize that there are no sonic differences, so we can save alot of cash if the asthetics of the old ones suit us :)
As for online retailers www.jandr.com and www.onecall.com are my first line of defense. For electronics add in www.oade.com. Although you can't order through their website if you email them they can quote you very good prices on Sony gear, and I'm assuming other equipment they carry. With Onecall their website has near MSRP, but calling them up and asking for a lower price usually produces one with no trouble, especially if you mention J&R ;) To figure out a reasonable haggling price I'll usually look at shop.yahoo.com and sort by price. The lowest few prices will give you a feel for what dealer pricing is. Although even then I got my DA5ES from Oade Bros. for even less than the lowest advertised price elsewhere.
Let us know if you need help on any of your other equipment also, usually someone else has already done alot of legwork comparison shopping and getting quotes so we can save you some of the same trouble :)
-- Dave

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Again, Dave.. I really appreciate it. I'll continue to check out the old Studio line and compare prices. Right now I'm not willing to spend the extra cash, but I'll continue to ponder the thought whilest looking for bargains.

Thanks again for the reply.

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
105.00 for my pair of S26's. Also direct, also on ebay. I'm happy! Now I'm waiting for a deal on a pair of S36's!;)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
JBL speakers don't seem to be too common on ebay. I may call DBL Distributing (our wholesale dealer) and see if they have any extra Studio line speakers held over that they want to get rid of for cheap.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'd like to thank you fellas, once again, for the replies. I think I've realized that the N38's are too big for my setup, anyway. I may spring for the S26's on ebay. There are a few pairs over there going pretty cheap. I'd like them in Cherry, but waddayagonnado. :)

Well sorry to say this but I just bought a complete studio series system for about $560 S36AW11, S31211, s Center11. they were mismarked in the store. I bought them right away, funny thing was there was a store rep who was going to buy them on payday. felt sorry for the guy that went to the bank to get the money lucky for me I went into the store when I did he walked buy me when I was leaving and blew a fuse. I paid 169 for the floor standing each. 199 for the rear surrounds and 79 for the center. Plus I bought the extended warenty with them.:D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks