What's new

JBL s26 vs axiom m22's...which one? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,
I just read that thread and realized that the "Brian" you were talking about was me! And I agree, apparently Mr. Cheesero has issues with reading comprehension. Not once did I refer to Bose as a quality product. I guess he isn't familiar with the "Bose-Buster" term! :)
BTW, I read recently on HT Guide that Jon (ThomasW's design partner) says that it is possible to build a decent horizontal MTM for center channel use. If the woofers' center to center spacing is small enough and the crossover is low enough you can get really good off axis response. Apparently this is what Danny Richie has done by using sufrace mount woofers that overlap the tweeter face plate in his A/V-1+'s. I don't remember the exact crossover frequency or the specific data, but I think he said he didn't measure any suckouts until he got well over 15-20 degrees off axis.
Since I'm building a pair and my dad is building 3 of these we'll try it out and at least see if it's audibly noticable to us. I'll also compare it to a single A/V-1 vertically oriented as well as the new Adire LCC center when I get it built. You know, the one I won (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)!
Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The AV1+ is one thing, but your typical horizontal MTM is another. 5.25" drivers that close together with a tweeter that small and a 2k crossover point. Compared to 6.5" drivers well off the larger diameter tweeter housing and crossover points closer to 3k are another thing. Paradigm's StudioCC is interesting though with its' 1.5k 4th order crossover and its' 6.5" drivers overlapping the tweeter enclosure like the AV1+.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,

I agree totally. Most of the MTM arrays have the M's well off the tweeter and would suffer from all the above mentioned problems.

Brian

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Dustin, thanks for the response...I DO have the 20-39 pci already...I don't know why I want a better receiver...just feel mine may not be as good as the speakers I'm looking at getting...I can get the the axiom set w/stands delivered for just under 1200.00 usd...the jbls will run me about 640 total with stands...so the axioms are 560 bucks more...my question is are they worth that much more:)...I'd then take my yammy, sell it, and buy either a 7200/8200 marantz...possible a denon 38/48 series...decisions:) thanks in advance! tl

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
have you considered the ascendacoustics.com speakers? they have a great sale going on now. For $739 you can get 3 cbm-170's and a pair of htm-200's. That's with free shipping!

Marc H

Second Unit
I'm using a VP150Se matched up with Energy Veritas V1.8 (actually blends with those better than the Energy Veritas centre!) and I find the off axis dispersion exceptionally good. As I walk across in front of it, the treble stays smooth and even.
Maybe Ron Reda will comment; I know he uses one too (I had to swap out his first one because it was DOA).

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Couldn't agree more Dustin......Lots of folks around who like to deal JBL a bad name because they're sold at BB etc.......If for no other reason buy the JBL's because they're likely to be in business 10 years from now.

Axiom and JBL are not in different classes and when you consider the cost difference its hard to beat the S series which I found when I bought mine. The plastic Scenter sounds darn good to my ears for anyone reading.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
when people post a thread like this they should ask for opinions of those who have heard the two speakers side by side. anyone who has not isnt qualified to have an opinion on which is better imo.

conjecture doesnt replace experience.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I've owned, auditioned, and sold speakers over the years (since 1977), and the reasons that the JBL S-Series are getting positive recognition in the industry & consumer arena, is because they utilize many of the same leading-edge testing and design technologies included JBL TEC Award Winning Professional Series LSR Linear Spatial Reference Studio Monitors!! On January 6, 2000, JBL announced that its Studio Series S38 bookshelf monitor and S412P floorstanding tower loudspeakers have won prestigious Innovations 2000 Design and Engineering Awards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), an award that recognized JBL design efforts.
As far as my four JBL S26's & S-Center, JBL provides one of the most price vs. performance speaker products today, because they provide uncanny neutral, uncolored, detailed, and spatially accurate sound quality at a super competitive price point! What I subjectively hear is supported by the following objective benchmark ... FYI: HT Magazine quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the Studio series' S26 was ...
JBL S26 .... 200 Hz to 10 kHz +1.7/-1.4 dB
Reviewing HT Mag's JBL frequency speaker graph, it's approx. .... 48 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.2 dB.
Though HT Mag uses a different speaker test methology, it's very comparable to Sound&Visions benchmark for the JBL S38 ...
JBL S38 FREQUENCY RESPONSE .... 80 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.8 dB
No matter how you reason on it, ... you can consider the two above benchmark numbers to be excellent marks for any speakers in the market.
Considering the original JBL S26 Series performance vs. price, ... it's a super buy!
Phil

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Ron Reda will comment; I know he uses one too (I had to swap out his first one because it was DOA).
After an intro like that, how could I not chime in?! :D
I'll tell ya, for me, going from a VP100 to the VP150 has made a big difference. Being that the VP150 has a TWWWT driver array, the dispersion is wider and more even, especially off-axis. So, by filling in the "gaps" that I was experiencing in my front soundstage, pans are way smoother. Also, there seems to be no change in tonal characteristics as sounds move through the center.
Hey Marc...I hope all is going well! The second VP150 has worked like a charm and I'm loving it (just like you said I would)! It seems as though I'll be talking to you again in the near future...we are having a new home built complete with a basement HT for me, so I'm going to need a pair of QS8s for the side surrounds (to complete my 7.1 set-up) and then a pair of M3s or M22s (I'm dying to hear these things) for the "upstairs" secondary system. :D . We'll talk offline...

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tommy,

Both JBL and Axiom make fine speakers. It really depends on your tastes. I find the Axiom to have a sweeter more detailed midrange and JBL's to have better low end. Axioms tend to be brighter and more forward, JBLs more laid back.

I agree with Jason's post, the systems from ascend are hard to beat, more musical than both the JBL and Axioms. The current sale even brings them down to Axiom pricing... A steal if you ask me.

Best of luck to you

Brian Bowes

Auditioning
I have tried both the VP150 and the JBL S-center in a setup with Axiom M22's and I found the VP150 had a much fuller and cleaner sound. I'm sure my preference for it had something to do with the fact that it matched my other speakers, but I wouldn't let the fact that there have been some negative comments about the VP150 deter you. The VP-150 does require a decent amount of power to run though, and it is huge so you need alot of space on your TV. It barely fits on top of my 27 inch TV. One option you would have with a store like BB or CC would be to buy the JBL setup, listen to it, and if you're not blown away by it, return it. Actually the same goes for Axiom except you have to pay return shipping. One thing I will say for Axiom (besides the price/performance which is outstanding) is I have never dealt with a company with better customer service. When I received the VP150 I was having some problems with magnetic interference with my TV. I called Axiom and 2 days later I had a new VP150 with free shipping to send the old one back. A couple days ago I decided the QS4's weren't doing it for me, and called just on the off chance they would give me credit for a trade for M3's. I've had the QS4's for 6 months. Sure enough the M3's are in on the way, they're giving me full credit for the QS4's, and they're paying for return shipping. I was pretty impressed. Anyway, you probably think I work for Axiom by now, and I got completely off topic, but I was so impressed by Axiom I thought I'd share that. I would definitely recommend the Axioms over the JBL's. I looked at the Ascend's as well when choosing speakers, but I didn't like the lack of surrounds or a center, and I didn't think they were as aesthetically pleasing as the Axioms. Another speaker people seem to like is the Swan Diva, but it's a little pricey compared to the Axioms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks