What's new

JBL NORTHRIDGE N26 as surrounds for E80 setup? (1 Viewer)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I have JBL E80 mains and an EC35 center with crappy surrounds now. Would love to get the E30's, but just do not have room for them righ now. I was thiking of the JBL NORTHRIDGE N26 to use as surrounds.
Anyone know how they would match up with the rest of my JBL setup?
I guess I could always go with the E20's but they are going to be VERU colose to my back wall and the 20's are rear ported.
I have not heard many good things about the E80 and was not impressed by them when I heard them.

ALso considering wharfedale wh2 bipoles, but not sure how they would match up. Even looked at the fluance bipoles, but the 130hz bottom end scares me off of them (not to mention theose 2 not matching the JBL, even tho timbere match isn't as important for surrounds.

Thanks.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

You probably meant the E20's, ... as a whole, the entire JBL E-Series can be mixed and matched since they're timbre-matched to the JBL EC35 & EC25 Center Channel speakers.

So, for surround duties, the E10's are the speakers JBL designed to be hung on the wall.

Read more about the positive subjective (w/objective benchmarks) review @ Sound & Vision on-line APRIL 2004 JBL Northridge E Series E20, EC35, E10 & E250P review article.

For more JBL INFO w/reviews and links, ... see my webpage "Why you should add JBL Speakers "N", "S" & "E"-Series to your audition list!"

Phil

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Thanks Phil. I meant the E10's and E20's have had mixed reviews. Damn, I said E80's in previous post. I LUV my E80's :)

My problem is my couch is about 12-16" from back wall and 1 side is open, so I can't stick them on the sides. I have speaker stands behind the couch and off to the sides a little bit.
Do you reco the E10's over the N24's?

Would they be ok hung on the back wall behind my sectional about 3' above ear level and maybe 7-8ft apart firing forward?

If not, may go with E20's (would love the 30's but my stands won't hold them-borderline for the 20's.

N series not as a good match for the E series tho huh?
I guess E series it will be.

Thanks.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

The N-Series will work with the E-Series @ the surround locations, but ideally, use E-Series all-around if you want near 100% 360-degree seamless surround effects.

Phil

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Thanks Phil. I am probabnly going to go with the E10's and think I can mount them on the sides, facing in, slightly behind the seating area. The only problem is they will be up high, like 6" below ceiling (maybe 5-6ft above ear level).

Is that too high?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Nope! My Right Side and Left Side surrounds are 6' high, pointing across the room to each other (approx. 3' feet behind my 'sweet spot').

My Rear Center Channel is a little over 8' high (20' from my front wall), w/just a slight tilt down.

All together, the whole setup, with 360-degree seamless surround effects sounds glorious!

Phil

aldamon

Second Unit
I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar question about mixing N and E series JBL. I have four N24s and an N-Center. I'm thinking about getting 2 E80s this summer and shifting the N24s currently up front to the rear. That would give me an easy 7.1 setup with my new 1014TX and SVS. Would my N-Center go well with the E80s or should I think about getting the EC35 along with the E80s? Seems like the N-Center compares well with the EC25, but the EC35 outclasses both of them.

EricCrane

Agent
Kinda funny I already have the same TV, e80s (coming in a week or so), and e35 in a month or so that I'll I have to do is read up on mikeys posts so I don't have to ask any questions.:D

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
:)

If you can afford it, why not go for the EC35 center and ebay the n-center.

The Ec35 is really a star @ $150.

Should have no issues with the N24's as surrounds aldamon.
I am running them as my rear backs with no issues.

EricCrane

Agent
Yeah, if you can afford the ec35 it seems that it is clearly a better center, not that I've compared either one.

aldamon

Second Unit
Has anyone ever used a Center-channel speaker as a rear surround? I've been looking around and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to combine full-range tower speakers with my SVS because I'd be paying for too much overlap. Until I can afford beefier bookshelves up front, I might just upgrade to an EC35 and shift the N-Center to the rear. 6.1 would be good enough since 7.1 is just dual mono in the back. Is that a dumb thing to do? I'd rather re-use the N-Center than Ebay it for beans. It would also be easier to run one line instead of two to the back of my room. The aesthetics of having the horizontal center in the rear could be worked out easily in our room.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Sure u can. I was going to do it myself, but then I upgraded to a 7.1 receiver and was able to get a brand new pair of N24's cheaper ($69.50 shipped) then a used EC25 or 35.
I would still reco the E80 mains. They are not full range, you get no REAL bass out of them like your SVS, but you certainly will get EVERYTHING above what the SVS will provide.
BUT, if not in your budget, then the N24's will work ok up front.

WIll have a major difference in sound between dual 6.5" + 4"mid + 3/4 tweeter then a speaker with 4" mid and 3/4 tweeter.

Just think, the dual 6.5's can't produce anything near as low as your SVS, but it can provide things a single 4" mid can not.

I really would not think of the tower as overlapping the SVS 'cause it an't, but it will outperform the N24, and by a good, noticeable margin.

aldamon

Second Unit
Yeah, I'm just thinking a pair of E50s or E30s and an EC35 might be a better match for the SVS's output and it'd save me a ton of money and space.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Well, u wil need some decent sized stands for the E50s or 30s, You can get the 80's for $358 pair shipped and not need to spend any money on stands.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
E30 stands can be bought at Best Buy around 92 dollars a set, but Im not too familiar with stands, I have my fronts on my entertainment center for fear the kids would knock the speakers off the stands, but my sides are on stands.

aldamon

Second Unit
I think I might stick with the original Northridge series and pick up an inexpensive pair of N26 on Ebay for fronts. The N26 appears to be very similar to E30. That would give me a pair of 6" drivers up front that are timbre matched with my four N24s. Then I could buy the EC35 for $150 to complete my upgrade. Should be a decent upgrade and inexpensive way to go 7.1, especially after I sell the N-Center.

EDIT: The EC35 is on its way! If anyone is selling a pair of black N26, let me know. I have my eye on two Ebay auctions, but I'd rather buy from HTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks