JBL & Yamaha...Good together?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Titan, Jan 10, 2006.

1. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys. Anyone running JBL northridge series with a yamaha receiver?

Looking to use E30's as mains/surrounds, EC35 center & E250P sub with a yamaha HTR-5860 as power.I can get pretty good prices on this so it would fit my customers needs pretty well.

Any suggestions would help?

BTW -What do you guys think of the northridge series in general. I was thinking of using them for my own set-up in the future.

thanks

2. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya John T,
    I used to run an Jbl Tlx 45, (with MRC and control 1 sats as surr) a slim 2-way, 3 driver floorstander with an old 5.1 yammy 520 and I like it a lot, more than an equivalent Marantz 4200, even in straight stereo but that's just me. Why don't you try the sound out yourself first to see whether you like it or not?

Regards.
    David SGT

3. John Titan

I know I should but I just recently had back surgery with some complications so I've been layed up for a couple of months. I'm trying to give this customer some prices in the mean time. He's building a new home so it'll be a while before he needs it. Just figured i'd get some info to decide if it's even worth it to suggest the jbl's

4. John S

John S Producer

My most common system to hook up these days is Qty six JBL E30's with a Yamaha 5890 AVR.... I'd say the match is almost perfect.

5. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I have two pairs of JBL Northridge speakers, AW-N24 and AW-N26 (both outdoor models). They're now running off a NAD C370 integrated -- and sound pretty darn good for inexpensive outdoor speakers, if I may say so -- but before installing them outside tried the N26s on stands with my 5-year-old Yammie A/V receiver. I'd give the results a 6.5 or 7 on a 10-point scale, with 10 best; the bass was very good for a 6" woofer and imaging was nice, but treble was somewhat aggressive and in your face which made the midrange sound just a bit recessed.

Overall, though, for the $140 I paid online, the bigger Northridge speakers sounded darn respectable on a bang-for-buck basis..........

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

John Titan - hope your back heals up real good!

Anyway, while you're doing some research, read my "Why you should add JBL Speakers "N", "E" & "S"-Series to your audition list!" webpage.

I'm not affiliated with JBL, just a retired semi-pro musician (keyboard, guitar, acoustic / electric, bass upright / electric & drums) and previous Audio/Video dealer with no hearing damage!

The above generation of JBL models (including the new "L-Series") takes its design queue from JBL TEC Award winning PRO LSR Studio Monitors.

FYI NOTE: The JBL N24's (replaced by the JBL E10's) are the only Objectively Benchmarked** speaker w/4" woofer to exhibit usable frequency response below 90 Hz. Also, the OBJ Benchmark also revealed that 3/4" Titanium laminate tweeter has usable high frequency @ -60 degrees*** (Surround location - widest off-axis angles) up to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB, ... thanks to the EOS waveguide (copied from the JBL PRO LSR Studio Monitors)

**S&V Jan. 2001 OBJ Benchmark by Tom Nousaine:
    Frequency Response
    N-24 front left/right........ 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
    N-Center..................... 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
    N-24 surround................ 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB***

***SOUND&VISION MAGAZINE
    Speaker Testing Notes
    IN THE LAB
    - Sound delivered to the listener's ears from surround speakers will be reflected from room surfaces, so their response was averaged over a ±60° window with double weight given to the widest off-axis angles.

Have fun reading,
    Phil

7. John Titan

Thanks for the info! I just have never gotten a chance to listen to the E-series. I've listen to other jbl stuff and have always liked them but the low price concered me. I actually found your web site a while ago and had it saved in my favorites. Great stuff in there!( I think it was one of the sites that came up during a yahoo search). I play the guitar as well (never pro-just recreation)and jbl was always a good name in that realm.

BTW- I see the DS9 quote. Are you a big Star-trek fan?

8. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

9. John Titan

That's where i've been looking. They have good prices on a lot things. I got my receiver there. Fast shipping too.

10. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

John,

JBL offers great quality/value at a reasonable price.

11. John Titan

That what I assumed but then again I assumed bose were good speakers about 5-6 years ago before I was really into HT. So I figured why not check to see what the forum had to say before deciding. Thanks