What's new

JBL and OneCall.com (1 Viewer)

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
First let me say that I'm new to everything in the home theater world.

This afternoon I was checking out onecall's speaker section and noticed that they have their JBL N20's on sale for $98. I was thinking about using them in a 2 channel setup until I decide to get a center and surrounds.

I went to Best Buy tonight to listen to them, they sounded good with a Yamaha reciever. What would be a good receiver to drive them? What I'm considering are Denon 484, Onkyo 501 and Yamaha 5560, trying to keep my budget

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Another one to consider is the Denon AVR-1403. www.dakmart.com is an authorized refurbished dealer and they have them with a 1 year warranty for $205.

Did you mean to say the JBL E20's? I didn't see any N20's. That's a good price they currently have the E20's for. I thought the E30's sounded much better than the E20's but the E20's will probably be ok if you combine them with a decent subwoofer.

As far as what features you'll need in the receiver - you'll need to consider how many and what kind of inputs you need, how much power you need (how big is your listening room btw?) and if you're shooting for 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and if the receiver has the typical surround decoding formats integrated...which most surround receivers will.

brad cook

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
You're correct, it's the E20's. The room size/listening area is roughly 14x18, if I take into consideration the open floor plan then it's closer to 14x30.

My plans are to eventually have a 5.1 setup, adding an EC25 or EC35. I was also considering using the E20's as fronts until I get E30's,the E20's would then be used as surrounds.

As for the receiver, both of the Denon's do not have component or S video inputs. At this point, I don't need component inputs but in the future I'll need them. The Yamaha 5560 and the Onkyo 501 have all the inputs that I'll need and it looks like the Yamaha has pre outs if I ever want to add an amp.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
David, something that the esteemable Fred_Krampits informed me of several weeks ago: "The E20s are rear ported so you can't put them with their back to a wall." So keep this in mind if you are planning on mounting your surrounds to the wall.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator

I was just about to say the same thing.

David,

An option you may want to consider is buying the E10's instead of the E20's. They probably won't sound as good as the E20's for main speakers but if it's only temporary I would strongly recommend that as the E10's are very well suited for rear surrounds, much moreso than the E20's, and will be a better option once you get the E30's for the fronts. The E10's are front ported, much flatter in profile and perfect for hanging on a wall. Also they're $99.50 with free shipping from www.bhphotovideo.com. Another thing I thought I'd mention is that I just saw that www.jr.com has lowered the price of their E30's to $149.99 with free shipping. I think that's currently the cheapest price from an authorized dealer so if you could come up with an extra 50 bucks you could go ahead and get your fronts. Downside is jr only has them in black, but if they're going in an ent. center it may not matter.

brad cook

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
I might be able to talk my wife into the E30's, they will fit into our shelves. Unfortunately, I was wrong about the model # of the Yamaha so it looks like I'll get the 501 if ecost has any.

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
I have the E30's and they sound great, they are my mains and setting them to "large"( no sub yet) on my sony really surprises people that all that bass comes from a bookshelf, i have the ec25 center and the ups guy just came today and brought my N24's for my rears, i still gotta do a little tweaking but my system sounds great. you will enjoy your jbl speakers when you finish your 5.1 setup...... the E150 sub is next!!!!!!!!!!

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
What's really cool about the JBL E series is that depending on your room, budget, receiver, etc, you can put together a great sounding system. :D

I think that they are highly underrated!

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
The WAF just did a 180 on me! :angry: She now wants to replace our couch. I have, however, convinced her to get leather instead of cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks