What's new

Just ordered an Infinity Alpha 1200S.... (1 Viewer)

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
and need help with fighting buyer's remorse! I really had planned to wait a while before making another HT purchase (just bought the h/k 7200), and had intended that next purchase to be the Infinity Alpha 37c center channel speaker to match my recently acquired Alpha 50 fronts (currently using a JBL ARC Center), but OneCall just dropped the price on the 1200s subwoofer to $392.31! They were also offering no interest on my OneCall card if paid off by January 2005, so.... I took the bait, even with the $36.55 shipping charge. My wife is gonna kill me. Really. So please tell me this is a killer deal on a really good sub (to replace my Sony SA-WM40, which will now move with the rest of the old system to another room). Please. It'll make a noticeable, significant difference in HT mode, right? :frowning:

Just in case there are other suckers, er, shoppers out there: Infinity Alpha 1200SBK $392.31 at OneCall (please note I tried to link through the gotapex link on the HTF Deals page, but I probably screwed it up -- sorry!)

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
It's a good sub at a great price. You will enjoy the sub added to your system more than the center for now. You can phantom the center with the mains and you won't miss a beat. Just open the box as soon as you get it and you won't be able to return it to onecall anyways. That will seal the deal and make you stop thinking about it. Put a plant on it and tell the wife you bought her a new accent table.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Thanks, Michael, for the encouraging words. My sub shipped today, scheduled to arrive next Monday (no Saturday delivery -- rats!). Gives me a few days to plot and scheme on how to sneak it into the corner of the family room.... Saw a Sound & Vision review that rated the 1200s "among the best subs I've auditioned," so I'm cautiously optimistic as to the impact, so to speak, this addition will have on my HT setup.

Looks like One Call has removed the 1200SBK [black version, the only version on sale; the cherry and beech versions are still there, but also still $599] from the website, guess it sold out (was already "Low Stock" when I ordered).

Edit: Link to S&V review via OneCall: http://im1.onecall.com/Image_Product..._sv_review.pdf

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well, FedEx came through and delivered my sub yesterday (that was fast!), which was double-packed very well by OneCall. Big thumbs up to OneCall for once again processing and shipping an order accurately and quickly. Seems like they truly are the NewEgg of HT, and I feel lucky to have stumbled across them. Anyway, got the 1200s set up and it sounds great! Haven't even used the Bass Optimization System yet, so I'm optimistic I'll soon be breaking windows in the family room ;) ....

Went ahead and set gain and crossover in the middle of their respective dials, have not fiddled with the phase. I'm hoping that since the mains are also Infinity Alpha speakers (50), the phase is the same and I can leave it on the factory setting (zero). Am I wrong to make this assumption? Thanks for any input.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
John: in the subwoofer/satellites relationship, phase matching is dependent on whether or not the soundwaves from all these speakers--when they all finally reach your ear--all have matching sinewaves (at least as far as their positive/negative halves are concerned. AND if the waves these speakers are reproducing are identical). But this has nothing to do with using the same brand of speakers together. Low bass waves are very much affected by their "launching point" in a room, the size of the room, nearby walls, etc and that phase control helps to line up the peaks and valleys of the sub's sine waves with the peaks and valleys of the satellite's sine waves.

>>> If your receiver has a distance (i.e. delay) setting for the sub make sure you set that first before adjusting the phase control; after doing so there's a chance you might not even have to adjust the phase at all.

Also, sometimes the sats and the sub may already be in phase but your listening position could be in a bass frequency "null zone" where the bass waves have cancelled themselves out because of room interactions. Changing the woofer's phase might be able to fix this. Otherwise you'll have to move the sub itself to another location in the room.

Setting the phase control is easy if you have someone else flip that switch (or turn the knob?) for you, while you listen at your normal listening position.

LJ

bob falfa

Auditioning
Real Name
dave schultz
another infinity alpha club member.lol... hey Dan-Dee i'm running 4 alpha 50's with alpha20's srb with a 37c{one of the best} in the middle AND 3 ALPHA 1200S SUBS!!! get a hold of a R.A.B.O.S.. tuning kit to fine tune a sub and then set back and listen. you can get the kit on line @ Infinity's site still i think or Ebay. with the kit into your system the sub will become a whole different SPEAKER....good stuff.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks