What's new

Jan Berry of "Jan & Dean" dead at 62 (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Sad news. Tho' afraid to say if I saw a pic of Jan & Dean, , I wouldn't know which one was which. :frowning:

The early and mid 60's were a great time for duos. (I hope they were still buddies)

I liked several of their songs very much. "Linda" and "Surf City" are my favorites. "Surf City" is still a very cool record.

PS - Jan & Dean should receive a lot of credit for skateboarding, as in the hit song "Sidewalk Surfing"

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I can't say how close they remained, but they continued to work together over the years. Just last year they headlined a rock 'n roll show at the Austin City Limits studios.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Very sad news, indeed. I grew up in the 60s listening to Jan & Dean and The Beach Boys. A great loss.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The All Music Guide bio on these guys is really worth reading.

I'd forgotton just how important Jan was to the music.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
Well I'm definitely showing my age here, but here goes.

My very first record, a 45 RPM, was Dead Man's Curve. Of course it was new, just released at the time. I had just gotten a new record player for Christmas. It was one of those that pulled down in the middle to reveal the turntable and the speakers were on each side. After awhile, I had to tape a nickle to the tonearm so it wouldn't skip.

I also had every LP of The Ventures!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The first concert i ever went to was Jan & Dean at The Paramount Theater in Seattle in 1978 (I still have my ticket). For all that Jan was through in his lifetime he was still a great performer (at least he still had his voice even if he did sing a little slower). One of the first records I ever bought was the Legendary Masters set and I managed to find all their Liberty records (though was never willing to send the $75 for the Batman album).

I'm really sorry he died. I sometimes wonder if he hadn't had the accident if he would be revered as much as Brian Wilson, who learned a lot from Jan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks