What's new

JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION (1 Viewer)

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
They both look round to me too. Now I could get out a protractor and find a millimeter or 2 of variance but really...why would I do that when there's no outwardly discernible difference? I swear to God, people really take this stuff a bit too far at times.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that Roger Moore does look a tad "lanky" in the UE screencaps.

But... BUT... is that how it looks on peoples displays?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
They both look round to me too.

If anyone doesn't want the UE's, just don't buy them. Keep the prized SE's. Problem solved.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Knowing of this supposed "squeezing" issue "Octopussy" looked fine on mine. I'm watching the films in order and I just finished up the Moore era last night and will be watching "The Living Daylights" tonight.

Overall the Ultimate Editions have been nothing short of a revelation.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Only the problems introduced in the Ultimate Editions. The Special Editions had their own set of problems--I don't think anyone referred to them as "prized." If the Ultimate Editions were worse than the Special Editions in every way, then you're correct--there would be no problem. As it is, the Ultimate Editions are better than the Special Editions in some ways, and worse in others. How unfortunate that there exists no definitive release of the James Bond films, combining the best aspects of both the Ultimate Editions and the Special Editions.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Well, I couldn't see any difference myself but when I measured it,
it became clear that there was a difference.
Maybe not much but is proves that there is a difference between the
two which could explain why some think Roger Moore's head looks
stretched taller.
But I haven't looked for any other differences so I can't say that the whole
movie has the same stretch...

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Just a comment on why I used the gun barrel;
When I calibrate my front projector in terms of the right geometry, I
use round circle patterns from DVE etc. But I don't just sit and go
"Gee whiz, it looks round!". I go up to the screen and measure the
diameter vertically and horizontally. Then I am certain that it has
the right geometry and that the picture is not distorted.
Looking at other objects and/or simply guessing that they have the right
geometric proportions serves no purpose IMHO.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw a used copy of volume 4 of the james bond set. the one with goldeneye, from russia with love, for your eyes only, and one other.. how is that set?

Jacob

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I'm glad to say I've got more important things to do than to agonise and minutely examine every frame to ensure that it is geometrically correct. But... to each his own.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I believe it's volume 3 (red box) that contains Goldeneye, FRWL, etc. Goldeneye has a different cropping than the old version. Otherwise, it's about the same as the other sets. Movie's look great, and am extensive collection of extras.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

But he's absolutely right. The fact of the matter is, these films, these DVD's - look outstanding. If there is a millimeter out of place in a shot or two, it in no way hampers or should hamper anyone's enjoyment of these sets. If thinking that way is thread farting, well add me to the list of thread farters. But I love these sets, they look amazing.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Unfortunately, I think that, for some people, just merely knowing that the film is a millimeter off ruins their ability to enjoy it. It's a shame because there must be a mountain of movies out there that these folks can't ever enjoy, but that's their choice.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Sheesh.

The people that post in this thread can (generally) be put in three categories:

A. People complaining about the Ultimate Editions not being ultimate enough.

This goes from more serious stuff like 'I tried FRWL in three different players but it won't play' to some truly trivial points. Clearly these people need to get a life.

B. People complaining about people complaining

Of late these appear to be people taking a break from solving world hunger to surf here to air their unhappiness about what other people do with their time. Those unhappy about those that are unhappy like to point out that they are probably happier people.

C. The Happy

They truly don't have much of an axe to grind, they often just want to share how good the new Ultimate Editions look to them on their own systems in their own happy homes.

Caveat: Category C people might become Category B people if a Category A person (such as myself) were to mention that their anecdotal evidence without any worthwhile point of reference is worth less than a pile of refried refried beans.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

I don't think that's fair at all. A lot of legitimate points have been raised about the transfers, framing and audio of these sets. If you want more special features, that's another topic. But please don't insult the "complainers" (such as myself) and telling me to get a life. If I pay 60 bucks for a product I expect it to be meet some simple standards regarding framing and colour.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Because apparently getting 5 motion pictures on fully loaded 2-disc special editions that represent the best these films have ever looked and sounded on home video just isn't worth 60 bucks on its own. :rolleyes

The bargain these sets represent, even at full-price, is still staggering to me. But I guess I have lower expectations, or something.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

I agree, you must have lower expectations. By all means, have at it. You are free to buy them if you want them. I never criticised you for it yet I get the eye roll. Are the concerns regarding these releases entirely unwarranted in your eyes because you view it as a "bargain"? People's attitudes on cost is entirely relative. While $60 isn't a lot to me in the first place, I'd rather not have spent anything at all. Perhaps I should have waited for this thread before I got them. No matter. I just don't understand the amazingly condescending attitude people have towards those who want simple answers about FRAMING. This reminds me of the people who argue that we should be grateful we get TV shows on DVD even if all the music is gone....

John H Ross

Screenwriter

My thoughts exactly. If this was a BEST BUY or WALMART forum then YAY, the discs are reasonably inexpensive, they look pretty as long as you don't look too critically, they sound pretty as long as you don't listen too critically, and if you're in R2 you get an AMAZING atache case to put them in! All in all there may be wadges of picture information missing off the sides/bottom and some of the colours may be just a wee bit off, but it doesn't interfere with your enjoyment. Smashing!

But it's not. It's a forum for movie and home theatre enthusiasts who, presumably, crave for these films to be presented on DVD (or whatever) in as close to a definitive form as possible. And god-dammit if THIS many people have questions/issues (and there are a LOT) then don't ya think there may just be something slightly amiss or, at least, worth investigation? I mean the people raising these concerns aren't idiots you know!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks