JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Yes, they were stereo films. The point is, the 5.1 tracks on those films is derived from the original stereo. It's not as if they have new effects, the way TB and YOLT do for instance. What you are hearing on TSWLM and FYEO are the original stereo tracks upgraded to 5.1. Nothing is changed, and having the original on there isn't really an issue. Only LALD seems to be an issue. I haven't watched that disc yet, so I can't say if the new mix has new effects in it or not. I hope not.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
After reading all of this thread (and it's a lot to digest), would I be accurate in saying that the only two older SE Bond movies that one might want to hang on to, for video quality purposes only, are Goldeneye and The Spy Who Loved Me? I realize that there are some special features missing from DAD and it sounds like there may be some soundtrack issues as well but I'm more concerned with the video. I'm getting the box sets and will probably dump my older SE's however, I plan on keeping Goldeneye and TSWLM for the video issues mentioned throughout this thread. Anyway, I didn't want to get rid of another one that might have better vido quality.

Thanks!

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Real Name
John Moreland

Michael, I don't know. A lot of people were unhappy with the cropping on A View to a Kill as well. Personally I had no problem with TSWLM or AVTAK, but GoldenEye did seem noticeably tight to me. Whether it would have before I read this thread, I don't know, but it sure did when I was watching it. The shots didn't seem to have the same "elegance."

Personally, I've been more than thrilled with the purchase, and don't regret it for a second. I even decided to trade my old GoldenEye SE after all.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Just got this back from MGM Online regarding an inquiry about the problem I had with From Russia With Love:

"Thank you for your email. If you have experienced problems with your DVD and seek a replacement, please contact 20th Century Fox as they have been appointed to handle all of MGM's Home Entertainment distribution. You can reach Consumer Products at [email protected] or call them directly at (888) 223-2369.

Thanks for visiting MGM.com!
MGM Online"

Ray H

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think you meant A View to a Kill instead of The Spy Who Loved Me. The Spy Who Loved Me has some excessive edge enhancement for the first half of the film and perhaps the color has been changed a little (as with many of the other films), but it's still an improvement on the old SE disc. As JohnMor mentioned, A View to a Kill has the cropping issues as does Goldeneye.

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave

I just got the same thing as well and fired off an email to them. Fingers crossed! I'll post if I hear anything.

Dave

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

Even despite the cropping issues I thought the actual picture quality was improved on "GOLDENEYE" ULTIMATE EDITION over the old S.E. which looks blurry in comparison. I think that IF (a big IF) you can look past the cropping issues the U.E. of "GOLDENEYE" is better IMHO.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Hi MichaelO,

I only kept the movies I love and am extremely happy with those discs. Each one represents a major improvement (and lives up to the name Ultimate Edition in my book).

From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Thunderball
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (and yes, I think the color is off in the opening scene. But at the end of the day, it's only a few shots in one scene which doesn't spoil the experience for me. YMMV)
The World Is Not Enough

I can't comment on the other 15 movies as I didn't watch them. Straight to ebay.

-Reagan

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info! I'll pull out A View To A Kill to see if the cropping bothers me. I think it was Colin's review that mentioned The Spy Who Loved Me not being an improvement. That it improved upon some things, but worsened some other areas. I figure I'll do a comparison and just keep the one I like better. Interesting on Goldeneye, I’ll give it a shot. If the cropping isn’t that bad on those discs then I’ll probably just keep the UE then, as long as the video is improved upon.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info! I'll pull out A View To A Kill to see if the cropping bothers me. I think it was Colin's review that mentioned The Spy Who Loved Me not being an improvement. That it improved upon some things, but worsened some other areas. I figure I'll do a comparison and just keep the one I like better. Interesting on Goldeneye, I’ll give it a shot. If the cropping isn’t that bad on those discs then I’ll probably just keep the UE then, as long as the video is improved upon.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Unless you know specifically how each shot is framed it will be difficult to see the cropping. I only noticed it on the Gunbarrel and the scene with 007 and 006 at the facility.

Okotta

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas
I was just about to buy the Region 2 edition of the Ultimate Edition of GoldenEye today, in my local store. But then I remembered that I think I saw a screenshot in here, which showed that the burnt in titles at the beginning of the film (the text where Bond is descending towards the dam, where the name of the dam is displayed) is now player generated on the Region 2 edition, but NOT player generated on the new Region 1 edition?

I can get the Region 1 edition when it's released seperately on February 6th, but I really want the film as soon as possible, so please tell me: Are the titles still player generated on the Region 1 edition of the Ultimate Edition of GoldenEye? Because then I can buy the Region 2 edition after the weekend

rich_d

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Not a big deal, but I found the story boards on the FRWL extras disc interesting and some of the shots visually pleasing.

Example:

Btw, they also mentioned that the boat chase scene was originally planned in the script to be a night scene. I would have liked to have seen how that would have played out.

Jon Martin

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

Great!

So now should I try to exchange it? Given it as a gift, I hope I can get the receipt.

Greg Black

Second Unit
Well, I've decided to assemble my own "Ultimate" collection of the 007 DVDs, from both the SE and UE sets. I already had the 007 vol. 1 from the last go around, and now I'm going to buy the additional single DVDs from various sources (eBay being the primary one I suppose).

So here's how it's going to look, roughly -

Dr No. UE - seems pretty clear the UE transfer is a big improvement
From Russia With Love UE - seems better for the most part
Goldfinger ??? - hard to say... UE's image quality is better but color timing on SE is more pleasing - more "golden", and some scenes are radically different in color timing
Thunderball ??? - not sure if I agree with some of the color timing changes: http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...pic.php?t=2806
You Only Live Twice SE - the color timing changes in the UE are unnacceptable: http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...pic.php?t=3045 (scroll down to see how they "fixed" the sunrise shot)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service SE - pre-title sequence is ruined in the UE
Diamonds Are Forever UE - looks better overall
Live And Let Die SE - SE appears to be sharper, with more accurate colors... UE seems to have boosted contrast too much
The Man With The Golden Gun UE - UE appears to be better in general
The Spy Who Loved Me SE - edge enhancement is stronger on the UE; different colors (not sure which is more correct)
Moonraker UE - even though UE has too much contrast in certain shots, it appears to be better overall
For Your Eyes Only ??? - UE seems to be slightly sharper, but not sure which has the more accurate colors; UE may be contrast boosted too much
Octopussy ??? - UE is slightly sharper, but has different color timing (not sure which is more accurate)
A View To A Kill SE - UE is cropped in many shots; lacks camera shake during "earthquake"
The Living Daylights ??? - I seem remember a shot in the desert in Tangier that had massively different color timing, but I'm not sure
Licence To Kill UE - UE seems generally better; also has more correct framing
GoldenEye SE - UE is horribly cropped; the golden hue of the SE is lost - SE is also sharper
Tomorrow Never Dies ??? - UE has burt-in subs, but color timing changes. Hard to tell which is the winner
The World Is Not Enough SE - UE has a pinkish hue and too much contrast to the point of blowing out the top end
Die Another Day UE - UE has burnt-in subs and slightly more detail

Any comments/opinions are appreciated.

Jim-M

Second Unit
To each his own, but you have nearly half the SEs as being better if some of your question marks go to the SE.
Goldfinger - The UE easily.
The Living Daylights - I thought the SE was fine, but the UE is better, sharper.
TWINE - UE is better overall, although the explosions tend to blend into a big orange ball instead of more defined flames.
You Only Live Twice - I specifically looked at the sunrise scene shown in the screencap and I did not see anything out of the ordinary. Not sure that the screencap, out of context, is a good representation.

So far I've watched 7 of the UEs and scanned through the 8 others that I have to check out specific issues I've seen in screenshots. In every case I'd take the UE. I don't have volume 2, so I can't comment on those. I can understand some may choose the UE on Goldeneye and AVTAK because of the different framing, but it wasn't problematic to me on Goldeneye. Yes, there may be isolated bits like the title sequence in LALD that bother some people, but in most cases 97-99% of the rest of the movie is an improvement. I have not regretted getting rid of the SEs at all.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell