JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
It was a marketing tool. That transfer was identical to the previous DVD. If I'm not mistaken even the compression was the same.

And they didn't take the LD master and make it 16x9 for the DVD. It was most likely a 16x9 transfer initially.

RickER

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
John Ross have you NOT talked yourself out of this thing enough already!
You dont own the UE's, right? But you keep saying they look wrong. Most of us who own them keep saying they look great...well most look great, and the others look good. NONE are bad. I own them, and have watched 10 of the 20. Your entitled not to own them, and of course your opinion is as valid as most of ours. Nothing has changed for at least the last 5 pages. Except a few people that were almost scared off, who then got the sets and they also were converted (to pod people i am sure) believers.

Please dont think i am angry, mad, or mean. Just wish you could see what i am seeing.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
my zenith and toshiba players wouldn't run From Russia With Love. Just gave me error messages of check disc and check regional coding. My pioneer however played them...anyone else have this problem

John H Ross

Screenwriter

FYI - I do now own the UEs. And all the SEs btw, AND all the laserdiscs. The last two UE sets arrived over Christmas. My views on AVTAK and Goldeneye have not changed, nor have my views on re-framing in general. Don't even get me started on Supergirl!

The biggest selling point of these editions, IMHO, is the burned-in captions and for that MGM/Sony/Eon/whoever has my undying gratitude since this is the first time EVER that TND and DAD have been released on home video properly! (even though for years I complained about the player-generated subs and everybody told me to shut up because it wasn't an "important issue". Oh, how history repeats itself...)

John

RickER

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yea, i sure cant speak on the framing issues. I know some older movies have had the framing adjusted because of film stock issues. They had simply re-framed to avoid film deterioration. Of course the Bonds in question are way to new for those issues.
I have sold most of my SE's. I will unload the rest after i finish watching the others. Not enough hours in a day you know.
I have used my old SE art for the UE's, just slip the art in a double Amrey and i am good to go. I like to keep my movie series in order.

Ray H

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Personally, I just rearranged the films in order in each box so volume 1 contains the first five, and so on... It doesn't match what's printed on the box, but it doesn't bother me. I've been going through these for the last week and a half (currently on The Man with the Golden Gun) and I don't even remember looking at the movie titles printed on the box just once. Works out pretty well for me.

Jon Martin

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

Just came here to ask the same thing. It wouldn't run on my high end Panasonic DVD recorder that plays everything, or on my handheld player, or my PS2 or even my multi region player. Haven't checked it on a laptop yet.

Guess I won't return it since I'm not alone.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Well see now I couldn't care less about the order. As far as putting them on a shelf is concerned I'm happy that box 1 is followed by box 2 and box 3 and box 4. Sure I'd prefer the films in order (ideally they would have been in an uber 40 disc set like the R2s) but the SEs are in order alongside so I guess I have the best of both worlds. Plus I know what order they come in by heart so it's not a problem.

As far as the UEs are concerned, what's on the discs is far more important.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

Is the disc "cloudy" or "milky" looking in the layers on the non-label side?

If so, this is another MGM/Fox manufacturing defect. I have several discs that look like these and over time they start to stop playing properly. These Bond discs look far worse than most in terms of this "cloudy" disc syndrome.

rich_d

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

That comes across as a pretty bold statement. If you have "several" discs that have stopped playing correctly, please name a few.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I just discovered last night that From Russia With Love won't play on my Denon 2200 DVD player. It plays fine on my Sony NS75H player.

Edit: My PC DVD-ROM won't play it either so it seems like I just got a bad disk. I'll return it and see.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
no clouds or rot. the disc looks perfect. but it won't play on anything except my pioneer. I would assume than many people have been watching them in order, and I was the first to cry foul after Xmas... now I see others who are having the same problem....

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I have two copies of From Russia With Love- one played on the DVD-ROM fine while it wouldn't play on the other DVD drive (the other one plays just fine on that drive).

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (Region 2 MGM)
ROCKY (ORIGINAL BOX SET) (Region 2 MGM)
CONTACT (Region 1 Warner)
LA CONFIDENTIAL (Region 1 Warner)
THE INSIDER (Region 1 Touchstone/BV)
THE TERMINATOR S.E. (Region 2 MGM)
FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (Ultimate Edition) (Region 1 MGM/Sony/Fox)
GOLDENEYE (Extras Disc) (Ultimate Edition) (Region 1 MGM/Sony/Fox)

That's just the ones off the top of my head. All my discs are stored in a cool, dry place and I have more than one DVD player so I know it's not the players.

That is out of over 700 hundred DVD's though. So it is a small percentage. However... I am VERY weary of discs that look as "cloudy" and "milky" as these new Bond's do!!!

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
An interesting link Carter. Fair enough the UE could be a closer match to the 35mm extraction area seen in the cinema, whilst all other home video offerings of AVTAK and Goldeneye used a greater portion of the image. However we could also say that those previous incarnations represented the 35mm area, leaving off the remainder of the frame, in this case the cropping on the UE would be even more significant. We can only make a true comparison with a reel of film it seems.
Unfortunately DTS images have undisputedly made some telecine colour mistakes with these releases, confirmed by the very fact they corrected shots for R1. look at the difference in the harbour caps, http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...ca600f52965f35
Due to these changes an element of doubt has been put in my mind that the framing is incorrect as well (AVTAK bizarrely alters thought out the film), which could also be part of the telecine process, coupled with the fact the UE’s really do throw off some of the compositions IMHO:

SE

UE

John H Ross

Screenwriter

These are my thoughts exactly. Somebody in a position of some influence has already "admitted" that at least 2 mistakes were made, specifically the colouring issues in Thunderball (the blood water) and You Only Live Twice (the harbour). Plus there's the camera shake that's missing from A View To A Kill.

With these in mind I find it hard to jump in and say that these framing changes MUST have been a deliberate artistic decision and MUST be how these films were meant to be seen. I still don't buy it.

John

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Has anyone come across these sets with a drop in price? I was at a local Walmart and although the sets had the 69.00 (cdn.) amount listed on the box at the checkout they showed 45.83 - there was no sale indicated although I was wondering if it was because it was 3 days after Boxing Day. No one else has it near that price around here - BB is at 79.00. Actually I went back and bought Vol.1 after intially buying Vol. 3 & 4 and the cashier mentioned a price drop - nothing about being on sale seemingly. It's either an error on their part or perhaps Sony is lowering the price. At this amount I couldn't resist buying them even if Blueray versions come out down the road - I'm HDDVD only anyway at the moment and they still look pretty good viewed on a 128" screen.Anyone else come across something similar at a retail store?

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Real Name
John Moreland

I got mine for $43.66 each at Costco. They sell for $53.66 each there, but they had a $10.00 off each set sale until 12/24. I would not have purchased the sets except for that price; I was going to wait and just get my faves as indidual releases. But I'm very glad I got the sets after all.

Also, Brent, I love your Emma Peel avatar!

Jon Martin

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

I noticed this too.

At around the 44 minute mark in TWICE, it hangs up for a second. Just an audio dropout mainly, but it feels like a layer change.

Then, in watching MOONRAKER today, both at the 56 and 59 marks (didn't write down exact moments), it hangs up again. It doesn't stop playing, just has an audio drop out, and brief freeze, like a layer change.

Don't know what is going on, but thought I'd mention I had it too. And it is in the same player that won't play FROM RUSSIA.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozovoz