What's new

iTunes selling silence for 99 cents! (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
This is not a joke (sort of).

I was scoping the new Mission of Burma LP, ONoffON, at iTunes, and noticed there is a track called 15 second "vinyl" silence. It can be bought for 99 cents.

So I sampled it.

Yup, truth in advertising. It's 15 seconds of silence. I read a review of the this title in The Absolute Sound, and they said that there is a vinyl version, so I guess they wanted to make sure that the digital folks got the same vibe as those buying it on vinyl.

Now personally, I have a real problem downloading silence if its only ripped at 128K. I find the midrange to be grainy, and the high end is completely veiled (I am going to play it back again after trying a different interconnect).

Unless they offer tracks like this at 320K, I won't be buying.

:D :D :D

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
This is not a joke (sort of).

I was scoping the new Mission of Burma LP, ONoffON, at iTunes, and noticed there is a track called 15 second "vinyl" silence. It can be bought for 99 cents.

So I sampled it.

Yup, truth in advertising. It's 15 seconds of silence. I read a review of the this title in The Absolute Sound, and they said that there is a vinyl version, so I guess they wanted to make sure that the digital folks got the same vibe as those buying it on vinyl.

Now personally, I have a real problem downloading silence if its only ripped at 128K. I find the midrange to be grainy, and the high end is completely veiled (I am going to play it back again after trying a different interconnect).

Unless they offer tracks like this at 320K, I won't be buying.

:D :D :D

BGL

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
This is old news. They already pulled some tracks of silence due to negative press only to readd them at the consumers' and artists' request.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
This is old news. They already pulled some tracks of silence due to negative press only to readd them at the consumers' and artists' request.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough, Joseph, but was it discussed before on this forum?

I did search for "iTunes silence" and didn't find any relevant discussion. Then again, my luck with using the search functions tends to be 50/50.

No matter, I still think its a hoot. You gotta wonder of anyone actually has bought silence tracks.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough, Joseph, but was it discussed before on this forum?

I did search for "iTunes silence" and didn't find any relevant discussion. Then again, my luck with using the search functions tends to be 50/50.

No matter, I still think its a hoot. You gotta wonder of anyone actually has bought silence tracks.

BGL

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if it was discussed here, just been discussed before. The search engine here is 100x better than the one at AVS though. Definitely worth a topic based on the response they got from the Artists on the selling of silence.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if it was discussed here, just been discussed before. The search engine here is 100x better than the one at AVS though. Definitely worth a topic based on the response they got from the Artists on the selling of silence.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Hey, a lot of peole would pay a lot more than 99 cents for some silence....

This was discussed here before, but I can't remember the context.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Hey, a lot of peole would pay a lot more than 99 cents for some silence....

This was discussed here before, but I can't remember the context.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

There is a thread over in the Speaker section where someone quotes a speaker review by Lou Reed (of all people) offering to pay money NOT to have to listen to some Bose speakers!

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

There is a thread over in the Speaker section where someone quotes a speaker review by Lou Reed (of all people) offering to pay money NOT to have to listen to some Bose speakers!

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks