What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Assuming Warner doesn’t pull a fast one by having the 4K be a completely separate iTunes listing, the upgrade usually occurs on the same day as the disc release.

Thank you!

I will most likely get the disc either way too! I may just wait a bit longer.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Hello, Dolly! dropped to $4.99 again and I pulled the trigger. Fingers crossed that (someday) there's a 4K upgrade.

Mark

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm glad I decided to buy the disc as this is another title with a digital code I redeemed at MA. Anyhow, my 4K disc is already in Michigan and I just ordered it on Friday of last week.

I noted it is currently a best seller on Amazon. I’ll be ordering shortly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I gave Apple $9.99 to have the 4K Dolby Vision version of Singin' in the Rain.

Mark
I got my 4K disc today so I'm going to try to compare the 4K digital to the 4K disc, but I expect the latter to have the superior audio and video presentations because streaming does have its limits.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched 4K Dolby Vision Singin' in the Rain today via our Apple TV 4K. It looked fantastic. Gorgeous, nicely saturated colors.

I seriously doubt the 4K disc looks much different, but I look forward to your report, Robert.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We watched 4K Dolby Vision Singin' in the Rain today via our Apple TV 4K. It looked fantastic. Gorgeous, nicely saturated colors.

I seriously doubt the 4K disc looks much different, but I look forward to your report, Robert.

Mark
How can you say that when you know the stream is compressed while the disc is not.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
How can you say that when you know the stream is compressed while the disc is not.
All video is compressed - both on disc or streamed. How good the video looks is dependent on the quality of the compression and the bandwidth. Discs (today) generally have greater bandwidth than streaming, but so long as bandwidth is sufficient to render the video compression without visible artifacts, more bandwidth does not in and of itself improve the picture.

iTunes generally provides excellent video compression and very good bandwidth. I have some UHDs which look better than iTunes versions, but I have several UHDs which I can not distinguish in quality from their iTunes counterparts, even when comparing back to back on a 104" wide screen.

Your following post regarding HDR10 vs. DV is an excellent point! and will likely account for a much greater visible difference between the disc and iTunes versions than video compression. It's a great point to keep in mind anytime any HDR is involved. How the entire video chain: disc player, ATV, and display, how this chain processes HDR, will often have a substantial effect on the image.

We look forward to your observations. Thanks for doing that.
By the way, the 4K disc has HDR, but the 4K stream has Dolby Vision. My preference has been DV over HDR so I'll see today whether that remains the case with "Singin' in the Rain".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks