What's new

It's Official!!! The Game of the Year is......... (2 Viewers)

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Halo!
Really, was there ever any doubt? Not for me.
Game of the year as voted by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences (A.I.A.S) Who is A.I.A.S? A.I.A.S.
I mean there have been some good games released this year, (GTA3, FFX, MGS, etc.) but none of them came close to the experience that is Halo.
To me this award is the real deal.
Here's the link:
A.I.A.S Awards results
Congratulations Bungie on a Job well done and an award WELL deserved :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Nice - but the GTA3 fans are not going to be happy and I don't blame them.

Halo is a console FPS with the latest technology. It does not really provide any revolutionary gaming concepts. More like evolutionary.

GTA3 truly introduced a free form nonlinear gaming experience.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
GTA3 shouldn't get Game of the Year due to its content. Who cares what the fans want? The 'fans' are probably 15 year olds that don't really respect anything yet anyway.

Mike

Trevor_J

Second Unit
I would say that GTA3 is more revolutionary from a concepts perspective. The experience and feeling you get from playing GTA3 compared to Halo can't be compared which is why I think Halo deserves GOTY.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Game of the year? What year, 2002? We are only in March right, I don't think I slept through half the year...

Ask a cop how he feels about GTA3.

'Revolutionary'?
Does the cop play video games? Can the cop look at the game as a game and not give some politically correct response? If yes then I bet the cop would say it is revolutionary also.

What about marines? How do they feel when they see space marines get blasted in Halo...oh the humanity!!!

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Final Fantasy IX??? Are we talking 1998 or whenever that one came out? Don't you mean Final Fantasy X???
Haha, I'm only joking. :D

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I would've given the nod to Phantasy Star Online (not v2) or GTA3 in a heartbeat.

-Dave (still looking for something to fill the void left by PSO...)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, and "Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering" should've definitely gone to Dead or Alive 3, not Halo. Seeing DoA3 on HDTV was damn near a religious experience. :)
-Dave

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
MikeA,

Are you comparing a FICTIONAL story (Halo) to cop killers (GTA3)?

Mike

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Are you comparing a FICTIONAL story (Halo) to cop killers (GTA3)?
No, they're comparing a fictional game about criminals vs criminals to a fictional game about space marines killing things by the hundreds.

What's your problem with the GTA games, MikeG, BTW? I'm not asking in an flammatory attitude - I genuinely would like to know.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The friggin' game is BANNED in Australia and you have the audacity to ask me what problems I have with it?

I guess you have NO idea what the game's content is about.

Mike

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Mike_G,

[sarcasm]

I sure do understand your problem with it. The Austrailian govt. made a smart move by banning it. I mean, have you seen the amount of violence and chaos caused by the million-selling GTA3 in the US?

[/sarcasm]

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Tough call, almost like comparing apples to oranges. Halo was the better experience overall for me but GTA3 got more play. There are lots of cool little things in GTA3, but I could name and describe to you several of my favorite parts in Halo, something that would be harder to do with GTA3.

VERY close to call.

btw- the moral person in me wouldn't want GTA3 to go in any record books as Game of the Year. Look what it celebrates & how much we enjoy doing it (yes, even though it's just on television). I can see Mike G's argument here.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The game isn't banned in Australia. They reworked it to tone down some of the more adult themes, but it's back on sale.

And even if it was, so what? Do we have to start liking only what governments tell us to now?

Speaking as someone who completed both games last year, and owns both systems, I thought GTA3 was the better game. Halo was great, but as someone else said above, it's really just another slick FPS. Other than the nice vehicle stuff, it did nothing to advance the genre IMHO.

Ike

Screenwriter
Grand Theft Auto 3 was better than Halo, hands down. It's more fun, and gave you a feeling of immersion more so than Halo. Halo had enough spit and polish on it that it certainly deserved the accolades it got, but GTA was a more palatable experience.

Mike,

Have you actually played GTA 3? Why would a fictional game bother you so bad?

The friggin' game is BANNED in Australia and you have the audacity to ask me what problems I have with it?

Australia...the guide to my morals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks