What's new

It's Official!!! The Game of the Year is......... (2 Viewers)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Masood,
As typical of people that defend a game with no morals, you turn the discussion into something it isn't. I don't think that a game like GTA3 should be considered "Game of the Year" material. By your own argument, "Faces of Death" should be nominated for an Academy Award. Am I wrong?
Remember: content and context. You're throwing every FPS into this pool of "Violent video games". Not ONCE did I say that all violent games are bad. In fact, I play UT almost every day.
Content and context.
Mike

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
I need to post my two cents on this subject. Lets see here.....I actually played the first 2 games in the GTA series and can say that the third is NOTHING revolutionary in terms of gameplay, its the same thing as the first too except juiced up graphically. Nothing against GTA, I have many hours logged in to the first two games, and a few with the last one. It is a blast to play to be sure, but revolutionary? No.

People just think its revolutionary because its reaching a broader base of people who have never had any experience with a game like this or the first games in the series. Its almost the same thing as calling the music group "Oasis" revolutionary when in fact the Beatles paved the way.

Now on to Halo. The only FPS I ever played before Halo was Half Life. That game is considered one of the greatest FPS's in history, and I didn't enjoy that nearly as much as I'm still enjoying Halo. Every aspect of Halo is fantastic. I recently have started playing online, and I'll tell you right now that if you all had the chance to play this game online with up to 16 people, your opinions might change, especially you Morgan.

The multiplayer aspect of this game has added a whole new life to the game. There is endless change and originality in the multiplayer, so it never gets old.

The single player game is nothing short of fantastic as well. I've beaten it though on heroic and it is a tough and challenging game. Never have i had so much fun with a game, and I've played many in my day.

Halo IMO is definately deserving of the Game of the year award. Another thing, I dont think a game that's on its 9th? installment should get game of the year (final Fantasy).

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I don't think that a game like GTA3 should be considered "Game of the Year" material. By your own argument, "Faces of Death" should be nominated for an Academy Award. Am I wrong?
If a "Faces of Death" movie recieved as much critical acclaim and was as popular among the public, then I see no reason why I shouldn't be nominated. Unfortunately, I don't see critics giving 4 stars to a "Faces of Death" movie in the same manner that critics gave GTA3 high ratings and game of the year nominations for being one hell of a videogaming experience.

BTW, you never answered my question. You seem eager to dimiss any person who has played GTA3 game as a bad and immoral person. IS that your intent?

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I figured as much.

BTW, here is a list of awards GTA3 has recieved so far (just awards it won; the number of nominations was much more substantial):

Gamespot.com: Game Of The Year

Gamespot.com: Best Game of the Year - Readers Choice

Gamespy.com: Game of the Year

Cheat Code Central: Game of the Year - Best Game Overall

X-Sages: Games of the Year - Game of the Year

PSERA.com: Game of the Year

Gamespot.com: Best PS2 Game

Gamespy.com: PS2 Game of the Year

Gamepen.com: PS2 Game of the Year

Cheat Code Central: PS2 Game of the Year

X-Sages: Games of the Year - PS2 Game of the Year

Gamespot.com: Best PS2 Game of the Year - Readers Choice

Game-Revolution.com: Revolutionary PS2 Game of 2001

Game-Revolution.com: Best PS2 Game Action

PSE 2: Action Adventure Game of the Year - February, 2002

Gamespot.com: Best Action Adventure Game

IGN.com: Best Action Game of 2001 - Editors Pick and Readers Pick

GAME INFORMER: Best Video Game Soundtrack of the Year - January, 2002

PSE 2: Best Game Music of the Year - February, 2002

GameVortex.com: # 1 in Top 10 Racing / Driving Games of the Year

X-Sages: Games of the Year - Best Controls

ROLLING STONE: Great Software of the Year for PS2 - December 26, 2001

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
You'd let them watch Escape from New York over Star Ship Troopers? ok...Escape from New York is very dark and creepy. They kidnap the president, cut off his finger (if I remember correctly). These people come up from the sewers and attack other people threw the floors. Thats a lot worse that Starship Troopers which is nothing but violence. And its cartoony, alien carnage violence. Ok there is a bunch of humans getting blasted apart, but the violence level isn't any greater than Saving Private Ryan. Did you let your kids watch SPR? If not you should. War is real life they should know about those things.

The problem is right there with what you said. You said you have to 'protect' your kids. Yes you do, but as a parent you also have to teach your kids. You can't keep them sheltered from the world forever. Your nephews friend is a mess. What does that mean? Has he killed someone? Does he do drugs, smoke, drink? Or is he a normal 10 year old boy. Likes to fight, yell, argue and play rough. In other words he likes to be a kid. Part of parenting is not just telling your kids what they can't have and can't do. You also have to let them be a kid and find things out on their own. I look forward to having kids so I can raise them how I want to raise them. Being strict is one thing, but smothering them is completely different and leads to kids hating their parents.

I still stand by GTA3 being beautiful. The freedom you have in the game to do whatever you want is the genius in it. You don't like it then don't play it, but don't stand in the way of others that do like it and want to express how much they do. Its like tv...don't like whats on? Change the station.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
MikeA,

If you think Starship Troopers is "cartoony", that's fine if you're an adult, but are you looking through the eyes of a TEN YEAR OLD? Do you think a TEN YEAR OLD is going to think of it as "cartoony"? They cut off the President's finger, but you don't SEE them do it. I still have yet to hear you say anything about "The Fifth Element".

Thank you, you've pretty much proven to me that you know nothing about being a parent.

Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I dont think a game that's on its 9th? installment should get game of the year (final Fantasy)
Why not? If its THAT good, then it deserves it. If Halo keeps pumping out good sequels, should the 9th one not be up for such an award, even if its the best game of the year?

Mike G-

Finally, a parent who's acting like a parent! We need more of you so this whole "violent games effecting children" issue just goes away. I salute your parenting.

I do disagree with you on some things you said about violent games, and while I don't think they should be violent just to be violent, they should be violent if its in context. GTA3 is about a guy who works for the mafia, so it would make sense to have some violent things. It takes place in a realistic city, so other things would make sense. Its all about context.

If you want to keep your kids from 'harmful' content, don't show it to them, but if they ever see it, make sure they know the difference between right/wrong, real/fake, etc.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Okay to address the topic:

From what I have played of Halo, I can see why it got the game of the year award.

Now....

This whole business of GTA3 is simple.

It has a "M" rating for some very good reasons, & I honestly believe that no one under the age of 16 should be playing it. Period.

Having said that, I loved playing GTA3. It was a different experience for me, & I was able to have fun with it because I am able to discern right from wrong, & fantasy from reality.

I had a parent come into my store the other day, & we got into a good discussion on video games. She did buy GTA3 for her 17 year old son,but only after talking to him about the content, & because in her opinion,she thinks that her son is mature enough to handle it.

On the other hand,she said there is no way that her 13 year old son will be playing it anytime soon,because she feels that he isn't mature enough to play it. (and if anyone should know,it would be her...not the government.)

If more parents stepped up to the plate & paid more attention to what their children are doing, & spending more time raising them,maybe we wouldn't have as many problems in our society as we do now.

If I want to play a game like GTA3, I should have the right to do so. Does that mean I'm going to go and carjack the next auto I see? Of course not.

My country is founded on freedom. We should not take this for granted,but we should be able to exercise that right as well. Sometimes we as a society are way too politically correct on certain things, & I for one am getting sick and tired of it..

I'm guessing that those of you that enjoy games about killing cops would enjoy, say, a flight simulator that allows you to fly into the World Trade Center. I mean, why not? You advocate cop killing and prostitute raping, so since you've already crossed the line, why not go all the way? So many people were killed that day, and you have no respect for what police represent, so I'm assuming you'd be all for that. Am I wrong? I'd really like to know where people draw the line in videogames. I've been playing them since all you had in the arcade was Pong and Space War, there's a line that has to be drawn, even for adult games.

A few thoughts here...if you are going to use your point for suggesting that people advocate cop killing & prostitute raping (which,BTW,doesn't happen in GTA3) because they happen to play a game, then I think you'd best go back and take a hard look at every game that you have played...because I can tell you that you either kill,or fight,or eat,or other things that can be seen as violent..and by your thinking,immoral.

I am deeply saddened by what happened on 9/11. Does that mean that any & all references to the WTC should be erased? Or that no more disater films should ever be made because of that tragic day?

I don't think so.

As for a line being drawn, my point is simple. Some videogames may be realistic,but they are still are NOT REAL. If a kid isn't mature enough to handle something,then it is the parent's/guardians/relatives responsibility to not let them watch/listen/play said item.

It is that simple.

If you don't like the content of something,don't watch it,listen to it,or play it. That is your right. But don't stand there and tell me that I am a bad person if I do,or say that I advocate something that I don't. We can agree to disagree, because we have the right to do so.

Some last comments..

I am just pointing these last two things out. The 1st is my opinion,the 2nd a simple fact.

What is the worst thing on TV nowadays?

The evening news.

And as for the person who wrote & sang that song on cops? He now plays a cop on tv. Go figure...

Calvin

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Calvin,

I never said the government should regulate what we can and cannot do, I just pointed out that Australia isn't allowing the game to be sold there. I never, EVER said it was good or bad, just making a point. As I said, people turn a point into something it's not. Just because I said that Australia won't sell the game there, people think I'm all for government regulation on video games. Did I say that? No.

The WTC reference was just an exaggerated point, and you seem to have proven that you'd defend a game like that.

You said:

A few thoughts here...if you are going to use your point for suggesting that people advocate cop killing & prostitute raping (which,BTW,doesn't happen in GTA3) because they happen to play a game, then I think you'd best go back and take a hard look at every game that you have played...because I can tell you that you either kill,or fight,or eat,or other things that can be seen as violent..and by your thinking,immoral.

Please explain the "violence" in these games:

Asteriods

Pac-Man

Gyruss

Marble Madness

Tron

Crash Bandicoot

Tetris

If you're going to use the word "every", you'd better be able to defend it. I'm sure you'll dig up some obscure reference that asteriods are people too.

Mike

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So let's see-why would it be bad to make a game in which the WTC is featured as opposed to, oh, I don't know, one about World War II. Lots of people died in the war (more than in the WTC), but games like Medal of Honor are quite common. Is it just because one set of deaths is fresher in our minds?

I think that Mark Twain said it best "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

So does there have to be a limit? No-the limit is what society will bear. If a game like GTA3 sells to its core audience (those 17+) then more power to them. If HBO is getting incredible ratings for The Sopranos (a show you wouldn't want your kids watching...)-great! And, if a developer made a game where you were able to destroy the WTC-who are we to take away their right to do so. The only power anyone has in a case like that is to not partake-just don't buy the game.

And hey-since when has the academy of anything been "right".

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I fail to understand why playing as the "bad guy" (criminal) as opposed to the "good guy" (cop) somehow makes GTA3 immoral. Of course not all cops are bad--just like not all cops are good, but I don't believe a cop's life is somehow worth more than a civilian’s life.

MikeG--do you badger people who enjoy playing games where they shoot at realistic enemies who AREN'T in uniform?

What about one of the Swat or Rainbow 6 games? You can choose to shoot civilians in those games too, but somehow I don't think you'd raise as big a fuss about them. Or am I wrong?

It seems strange to have to point out on a forum like this that we all have violent fantasies we would of course prefer not to act out in real life. There's nothing wrong with that--it is actions, not fantasy, that lead to people getting hurt. If violent entertainment meant a violent society, then Japan would be a walking deathtrap because the Japanese have some of the most violent and gruesome forms of entertainment on earth, but what is their crime rate compared to the good Ol' USA?

Personally MikeG, I feel like your tone on this thread has been somewhat bullying, and at times dishonest. You DID write this:

"The friggin' game is BANNED in Australia and you have the audacity to ask me what problems I have with it?"

That statement is simply ridiculous. And yet when someone calls you on it, you try to avoid taking responsibility for having said something that makes no sense. I quote:

"I just pointed out that Australia isn't allowing the game to be sold there. I never, EVER said it was good or bad, just making a point. As I said, people turn a point into something it's not."

The meaning of your question/statement is obvious and undeniable:

Because a game is banned in Australia, you think no one should even question why you have problems with it.

That is different than "I just pointed out that Australia isn't allowing the game to be sold there."

You are changing the meaning of what you said.

I haven't actually played the game. I want to, but I have to wait for it to come out on the Xbox.

I will strongly agree with you on one thing however:

If the game really does allow you to rape women, as you said (but I find hard to believe), then I can NOT defend it. Rape, under any circumstances, even for "entertainment," is simply indefensible.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
James,

I don't get it - you're against rape, but you're FOR cop killing? Am I missing something here?

Mike

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
James, there is no rape. You can convince prostitutes to have sex with you, which will increase your health.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Mike, I'll respond to that apparent contradiction if you respond to the other 95% of what I wrote, instead of ignoring it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Well said Brian! I agree in every way with what you have said. It is not the responsibility of game developers (or any entertainment media) to teach our children proper values. It is the responibility of the parents.

Furthermore I can't believe the disrespect shown in some of the posts in this thread. To accuse someone of not "respecting" what the police stand for because they worked on a game like GTA is appalling and unwarranted. If you do not agree with the games content than happily don't purchase it and keep it out of the hands of your children. It is the same thing that all parents should be doing when concerning a game like GTA3.

There is no argument that the GTA series SHOULD NOT in any way shape or form reach the hands of anyone under the age of 16-18. If children are buying this game and saying things like what you quoted Mike, than it is a failure on the parents part for not monitoring what their children play and not properly explaining the difference between right and wrong.

Next time a cop gets shot, I'll think of you
That is a truly disgusting statement that borders on offensive. How you can lecture someone on moral value when you spout out ridiculous statements like that is beyond belief.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
It's so easy to blame the parents when there's no enforcable regulation against selling games to children.

Mike

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
It's so easy to blame the parents when there's no enforcable regulation against selling games to children.
So you'd rather blame the game developers than the store owners and employees? So if a child is allowed to see an R rated movie, we should blame the studios who made it, not the theater employees who let the child in to see it? Because looking at your remarks, you place the blame clearly on the game developers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks