It's a wonder everyone isn't a germaphobe...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Jul 5, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

When you read stuff like this...

I just got a forwarded email from a friend of my mothers. She sent me a report stating that someone died because of a disease from dried rat urine. Where was this? On the top of her coke can..apparently it got there when it was in storage, and that coke cans can have more germs than a toilet seat..

happy drinking! [​IMG]

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I like to keep my immune system regularly exercised.

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
  4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Why do people believe everything that's forwarded thru email? [​IMG]

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I'm with you. Keep that "Anti-Bacterial" crap away from me! I'm not going to be taken down by some measly little germ, because my immune system doesn't know how to fight back. [​IMG]

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

It really is a wonder. I hate when people send me stuff like this. I usually send everyone on the mailing list the Snopes article advising how it is false. And I don't know about others, but living in PA & working in NJ, I seem to get this email at least 2 times a month...
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp

If you get a lot of *important* emails, Snopes is the best friend you can have.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

It really is a wonder. I hate when people send me stuff like this. I usually send everyone on the mailing list the Snopes article advising how it is false. And I don't know about others, but living in PA & working in NJ, I seem to get this email at least 2 times a month...
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp>>>>

Agreed. My father must have a 6th sense... I leave one he sends me in my email box for months, have time to waste to I Read it, next day, boom, there's another one [​IMG]. My mothers friend sent me the one I posted above...

Didn't know abot snopes....will have to bookmark it [​IMG].

I'm with you. Keep that "Anti-Bacterial" crap away from me! >>

Sounds like what the guy who wrote 'All Natural Cures' said on the radio interview I heard [​IMG].

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    The only time I ever sort of get paranoid about germs is when i'm around someone with a cold, I don't like the idea that a germ has now entered my body and in a very short time it will begin muliplying and making me sick.

But, I do wash my hands on a regular basis, I believe in a strong immune system, too, but no sense in asking for trouble.

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

All that antibacterial stuff says it kills 99.9% of germs.

But, it's those .1% germs that I'm afraid of.

10. MarkHastings

5 really good reasons not to use antibacterial soaps:
    source

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I am not a big fan of anti-bacterial stuff either (I do just fine without them) but I find these reasons tenuous at best:

Reaching...

I don't like antibaterial soap, but I dislike bad arguments even more.

--
    H

12. MarkHastings

I know, nothing gets by Holadem. [​IMG]

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Aw man! Just trying to have conversation!

--
    H

14. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

This topic reminds me of one time a few years ago when I was in the washroom at work washing my hands when a former employee who was very high up in the company came out from the toilet stall and left without bothering to wash his hands.......talk about disgusting....ugh! Good thing I always use paper towels to open bathroom doors when leaving.

Makes me wonder how many people this guy contaminated just by shaking hands on a daily basis and still might be doing today at a different company. [​IMG]

15. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

...or adults, for that matter. I had my 2 oz. bottle confiscated by the Shanghai airport authorities before I boarded the plane because they deemed it flammable (though it doesn't explain why the 8 oz. bottle in my carry-on was permitted [​IMG] )

Seeing as the alcohol in the sanitizer evaporates quickly, I would be less concerned with its flammable properties than it being accidentally ingested.

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Actually the biggest problem with waterless sanitizers is that many don't have enough alcohol to be effective. I forget the percentage of alcohol that's recommened, but I know the 62% solution I carry is above the threshold. (I do tech support and there are studies that show the IT professionals are among the most likely to pick up various minor sickenesses in office environments. People cover their mouths with their hands when they cough or sneeze, then touch their phones, mice and keyboards - all of which we then have to touch. I carry wipes, Lysol and waterless cleaner in my toolkit. Much more useful than screwdrivers nowadays. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

17. Cameron_S

Cameron_S Auditioning

Green tea on a regular basis. It's far more effective than antibacterial sanitizers.

I argue sex helps to, but it never seems to get me anywhere....

18. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Nuh-uh. Not unless they contain low concentrations those particular antibiotics, which they do not. A trace of benzalkonium chloride will not induce resistance to vancomycin, etc.

19. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Wow, didn't know it had alchyhol in it. I wonder... if you drink enough of water from the desanitizer, could ye get drunk? [​IMG]

And I was thinking about getting one of these for the shore house where water dosn't taste that great. Despite the above, do they really work well?

20. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

May I direct you to www.wplj.com. 3-7PM, listen to the Rocky Allen Showgram. They have a radio game called 'Will they, or won't they...'. One of their staff members goes to the Penn Station Bathroom, and watches people as they walk toward the sink, and the contestant has to guess will they, or won't they..

It's really nerve wracking when they see a street pretzel man, or a McDonalds emplyee. Thankfully most of those employees really do wash their hands...