What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Billy Fogerty said:
I haven't looked at it in years. I'm pretty sure the laser disc version of IAMMMMW was the full version. I have the discs, but no longer have a laser disc player.
The laserdisc is a special "extended" cut that combines a preview print with the general release cut - it's not the real roadshow cut.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For any real fan of IAMMMMW the laserdisc is an
amazing experience. It has most all the footage from the
roadshow version (and then some). It's pretty fun to watch.
It's probably the most valuable item in my entire video collection.
I don't think we will ever see a release that contains all the
footage that is included on the laserdisc.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Ronald Epstein said:
all the footage from the
roadshow version (and then some)
Would it be possible to list for me the sequences on the laserdisc which would not be in a proper replication of the roadshow cut? I think I have a general idea of which they would be, but would really like to have those assumptions confirmed.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
From Robert Harris back in January, 2007:

To be clear...

The laserdisc of MW is not representative of any real version of the film, and contains outtakes and trims never part of any completed product. The roadshow version of the film should not be considered / reviewed / discussed with this as a basis.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The IMDB has a complete list of differences between the extended laserdisc cut and the general release DVD: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/alternateversions
I think everything except for the overture, intermission/entr'acte, and exit music can be found in the deleted scenes section of the DVD.
If a restoration ever happens, I do hope that they go for the closest to the roadshow cut instead of putting "everything" back into the movie. But whatever doesn't belong in the restored cut should be included as an extra.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I don't think you guys understood my request. I have every home video version of the film. I know what's in the two different released versions. What I want to know is this: Exactly which scenes found in the extended laserdisc version are trims, outtakes, or other bits NOT originally seen in the roadshow version.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Too many to go into here, but as an example, Mr. Stang hanging from the rafters of the garage while under attack from a certain crazed truck driver.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I could guess that one of the times Ethel Merman is knocked into the garbage can wasn't in the original version. They wouldn't repeat the same joke twice.
I'd also guess that when Spencer Tracy knocks her over WAS in the original roadshow, because a shot of that scene is in my Souvenir Program which I got in March of 1964 when I saw the movie in Cinerama -- unfortunately, it had already been cut by then (which I didn't know) and I wondered why there were pictures of scenes in the program which I hadn't seen in the movie! Now I know.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Why isn't Sony/MGM doing anything to get the restoration started? What about the Kramer estate?
Columbia/Sony don't distribute MGM titles anymore, MGM switched over to Fox to handle their distribution, so there the best people to ask, besides MGM themselves. If enough people express interest in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World odds are most likely MGM will consider releasing a new DVD, and even a brand new digital transfer. Along with the long awaited orginal 1963 192 min roadshow version.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Just to let you know from my end...on my web site yesterday I did do an article on "Mad World". I mentioned Robert Harris in my original piece (remembering an earlier Internet article about Harris and "Mad World"...somewhere I'll try and find it on Archive.org). I took the piece down at his request, citing factual errors. Yes, I had forgotten the L.A. Cinerama screening with the police calls was more than two years ago (as I had stated in my piece). And yes, I may have been wrong on mentioning the "few minutes of footage remain" or something like that. But this much is obviously true.. the film was cut for general release, and there was an extended video version in the 1990s.

Something still stuns me...exactly how much of the added footage in the current extended version is from the roadshow version or just outtake footage not seen in any release version?

Over the years, I have done my research on the Internet on "Mad World", and that's what went into the making of my original article.

I did hear a minute of the police calls on another "Mad World" fan site a few days ago (can't tell you where as I probably would be violating forum rules). They were interesting to hear.

So if indeed there's no "Mad World" restoration on the boards at the moment, where do we all go from here? We can't sit and do nothing. After all, didn't campaigning by the fans get "Superman: The Movie" back on big screens and video?

I guess it never ends.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what forum rule would bw broken ?
Are these on an illegal download or obtained by illegal
method?
If not, and they simply posted on a web site it should be ok.
Send the site to a mod and check to see of its ok.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
TonyD said:
what forum rule would bw broken ?
Are these on an illegal download or obtained by illegal
method?
If not, and they simply posted on a web site it should be ok.
Well I'm sure that MGM would not have given approval for audio or visual material from the film to be made available on a fan website so the material is pirated and therefore against Forum rules. Yes?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Whenever I think of restoring this movie to its original glory, I recall the "sentimental" scoring cue from the movie, best evidenced at the point when Spencer Tracy takes a longing last look back at the police station.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The revival of this thread makes me want to dig out my old Laserdisc copy. I doubt very much we'll ever see the original roadshow version, just like we'll probably never see a rerelease of the original version of The Alamo (which I also have on Laserdisc).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks