What's new

Is Xbox live also trying to sell MS Routers (1 Viewer)

RayKk

Stunt Coordinator
With the Xbox live due to start shortly do you think it was a good marketing idea or a known issue MS is going to capitalize on that many Xboxes will need routers with their respective ISPs, I have 2 routers, the Linksys BESFR 41 and installation and setup was just fine, I also have a MS MN500 router (got it for future wireless setup) and the setup was flawless, it works fine, was it marketing or just a coincadence that MS routers were released just before Xbox live goes retail, I am thinking the idea that some people will panic when they hook up their box first time to their cable or dsl modem and the setup cant resolve anything, while getting a MS router will work for most people right out of the box flawlessly.
Opinion's please

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
Nothing at Microsoft is just a coincidence. What's sad is the fact that Live has been ready to go for months, and they delayed the launch to meet the launch of their new routers.

RayKk

Stunt Coordinator
Your absolutely right Justin and the facts are their are not many people who know or care less about releasing renewing IP#s or MAC addresses and that will scare enough people mind you I think router is the way to go but it is going to be interesting on Nov 15th.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
I guess my understanding was that Xbox live has been in the final stages of beta testing these last few months and is set to go online on the 1 year anniversary of the Xbox launch.

The fact that MS has launched a new line of routers is neither coincidental or surprising. If they had been available when I needed to purchase a router I would have considered it. The MS hardware I have owned has been of outstanding quality and they most certainly stand behind their product.

Will Xbox live sell MS routers? Sure it will. It will also sell LinkSys, Netgear, and other routers too.

On a side note, my Netgear router setup flawlessly, too. 25 minutes from opening the box and I was online playing Socom on my PS2 while DL'ing from newsgroups on my PC. It took me longer to enter all my information for my Gamertag when I got my Xbox live beta kit.

RayKk

Stunt Coordinator
The MS routers are very good but during beta testing many people found out they needed a router or have an endless wait for tech support with their ISP to release and renew IPs or what ever, some ISPs would not let you release renew or what ever you could to do by yourself, my point is on Nov 15th there is going to be a shit fit at tech support at ISPs and a run on routers, I have been to Best Buy and Future shop in the Toronto area and they are jam packed with MS routers and my thinking is Xbox live and MS routers go hand in hand just ready for the 15th and christmas, some types off NetGear routers have problems with Xbox so make sure on the NetGear model you get and some do not have a work around, the Dlinks you can almost fry an egg on them but the MS routers and Linksys routers work best for most on the average.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Oh, without a doubt, a router is a necessity, regardless of what console you are going online with. Yes, it is an extra hardware expense, but one that is worthwhile, IMO. And yes, I agree with you that on the 15th, there will be alot sold. Same as when the PS2 network adapter came out. With the Netgear routers, I know some of the older ones have some issues (both with Xbox and PS2) but the newest made the list of working routers. I do think people will probably immediately be drawn to MS's product, simply for the fact that it is MS and should work with Xbox without a hitch.

The timing of their new router line is perfect. I wouldn't expect anything less from MS (unless it's from their software division).

JoseEduardo

Second Unit
I already bought an MS router, why? because on the back of the box it says "XBOX LIVE READY" :)
MS sure know how to do things

ChristopherS

Second Unit
If XBOX Live is a great success I would not be surprised to see other router manufacturers with packaging stating "XBOX LIVE READY!". This is simply good business sense in my book. Of course I owen MS stock so I may be biased.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks