What's new

Is this too much for Paradigm? (1 Viewer)

I got a quote from a local Paradigm dealer. I'm very curious to find out if you think this is a good deal.

Studio/60 v.2 $1,181/pair

Studio/CC v.2 no price written on quote

Studio/20 v.2 $720/pair

PW-2200 $799

Total after taxes $2,922.75

If this is a great deal should I try to get the Servo 15 instead. If so, how much more should I expect to pay for it? I read on a separate thread that they were going for $1,000 on ebay.

Thanks MarcVH, they are indeed laminate. What if I tried to get the dealer to swap the sub for the Servo-15 at the same price? Don't know if they'll go for it, but if he's quoting much more than what the going rate is, then I may have a chance.

MarcVH

Second Unit
The laminate Studio/60s are $1200/pr MSRP, or were a couple months ago anyway, and the CC $500. I think (but am not positive) that the 20s are $650. The prices you quoted don't look terribly attractive, unless they include tax. My local dealer was willing to come down 5% or so from those prices, so I drove to Canada and got them for a lot less. That may not be an option for you.

Anyway, I would certainly expect more of a discount for a complete 5.1 system; this does open up options for buying something less ("I just want the mains and center now, and I'll use some old speakers for surrounds and buy an SVS sub.") I'd also try to make some competition, even if you have to drive a considerable distance to reach the next closest dealer.

One problem with exclusive distribution networks is they can give dealers an arrogant attitude, in which they act as though your business is guaranteed to them because there aren't alternatives. It's too bad.

I live near Austin, Tx so a trip to Canada would not be feasable. The quote DOES include 8.25% of sales taxes, so in reality the price they are quoting is more like $2,700. That's almost 16% off MSRP. That's if the MRSP is like this.

Studio/60 v.2 $1200/pair

Studio/CC v.2 $500

Studio/20 v.2 $699/pair

PW-2200 sub $799

The total is $3,198 MSRP which is a $498 difference from the quote.

Assuming my math isn't screwed up, this may be a good deal don't you think.

Thomas F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in Houston, and FWIW, I paid the following:

40's veneer - $900

Studio/CC - $500

PW-2200 - $599

40's veneer - $775

The first pair of 40's and CC were at the regular price.

The second pair of 40's and PW-2200 were purchased during

my dealer's annual inventory clearance sale. These prices

are before tax.

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm speaker pricing is really pissing me off.

If anyone knows, can you please post an MSRP list for the whole studio line is US and Canadian Prices (for those that decided that a trip to Canada is worth while)

From my own research, this is what dealers have told me:

studio 20's - 650 or 700

studio 60's - 1200-1300

studio CC - 500

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
It should piss you off. Not only is their pricing between dealers ambiguous at best, but they charge their largest buyers(Americans) a premium over any other country they distribute to.

Tommy Levario,

Man if you are dealing with the Paradigm distributor in Austin, good luck. One of the worst AV stores in town.

Ah Man! Unbelievable. Just my luck to be dealing with the worst of them. Maybe I need to go to Houston, Dallas or San Antonio to get a better deal.

Tony, this was posted on a separate forum by DavidY at hometheatertalk.com

"Here are the US list prices as noted in the 2001 Sound & Vision Buyers Guide:

Studio/100 V.2 US$1900/pair laminate

Studio/80 V.2 US$1500/pair

Studio/60 V.2 US$1200/pair

Studio/40 V.2 US$900/pair

Studio/20 V.2 US$650/pair

Studio/CC US$500 each

Studio/ADP US$900/pair

PW2200 US$799 each

Servo 15 US$1500 each laminate (w/ external crossover"

Don't know about Canadian prices.

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy,

Thanks for the list. At the moment I am pricing out some 20s, 60s and the CC. I will let you guys know what kind of pricing I get after some haggling. Sucks that NYC hase a high sales tax - 8.25%...

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
I have last year Paradigm Canadian prices.

Model US Can

Studio/100V.2 lamin US$1900/pair 2400

Studio 100 v2 veneer ?? 3000

Studio/80 V.2 US$1500/pair

Studio/60 V.2 US$1200/pair

Studio/40 V.2 US$900/pair 1100

S 40 veneer ??? 1450

Studio/20 V.2 US$650/pair 800

Studio/CC US$500 each 600

Studio/ADP US$900/pair 1050

PW2200 US$799 each ???

In my case, I did a 2000 miles trip to pick 2 pairs of Active 40 for total around 2300 U$$...

If you live too far away from the border, or do not want to travel (and flying can be painfull), there is a fellow who posts on Audiogon.com as Peter34, and on a regular basis bring few sets of Paradigm from Canada. He was selling them brand new at 25-30% below list. Get in touch with him, and see what he can do on a pre-ordered set.

Or - wait for summer, rent a wreck-track, put together a group buy and do a nice trip to Canada..

_zjt

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Looking at these prices, I'm so glad I live within driving distance from Canada. For what I paid for my 40's, 20's and CC (all in Veneer except for the CC), I could have only bought the 40's and CC at US prices. It's like I got a pair of 20's for free.

Anyone within a 12 hour round trip drive from Canada would be well worth heading up there. And not for just Paradigms, but for any Canadian company (Anthem, Sonic Frontiers, Bryston, Classe, etc).

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I just bought a pair of Laminate Studio 20 v.2's last weekend in Vancouver Canada.. I have bought from the store many times before and I paid $650 CDN for the pair.. At that price, im thinking of picking up another pair!

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Craig, nice deal:) Does that include taxes?
Anyone recommend a place in either Toronto or Montreal?
It would be a long drive, but it may be worth it

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Tony, if you are going to Montreal, check out St. Hubert Radio. They don't have a website, and are a relatively small dealer, but they are very easy to negotiate with. I forget who the name of the guy I dealt with, but this is the number...514-276-1413. They gave me a great deal, highly recommended.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
By the way, if you do head north, maybe I'll send you a check and you can pick me up an Anthem AVM-20. I don't have faith in Outlaw anymore!!!

Sebastien David

Second Unit
hey guys...
I live in Montréal, St-Hubert Radio is a nice store. The salespeople are knowledgeable, and they'll let you demo anything you want. I'm 20 and look younger, and the guy even took the pain of demoing me a pair of RF-7 (not cheap) because I guess I sounded knowledgeable. So not too snobby. However, I'm not sure whether that's where you could get the best prices. Then again, we didn't really get down to business in that area, so I wouldn't know.
Another place to get good prices around here, though, are Stereo Plus stores. That's where I got my PW-2200 for 670CAN plus tax. Without even trying to negotiate. Not the most knowledgeable people though, so if you do need service/demo/whatever, then definitely go to the St-Huibert guys. But if not, I'd check out Stereo Plus. They don't even quote their regular prices, I couldn't get a guy to tell me their price for the Servo 15, he told me "we don't have any here, go to that other Stereo Plus, they have one" "what about the price?, says I" "they'll tell you the price, go check 'em out" I didn', but I was expecting the same kind of crazy deal as I got for my first sub...
Al that to say, check out Stereo Plus. No affiliation whatsoever on my part, actually quite the contrary, but that's another story. Oh, and I'm not entirely sure whether they carry the full Paradigm Reference line. www.stereoplus.com to find the store that best suits you or to call them to know which store has the stuff you want, they area scattered all over the place here.
If you want, I could also give you the phone number and name of the guy I dealt with at Radio St-Hubert, very nice person, very knowledgeable.
Hope I was of any help.
/edit/
oh, and don't forget, when you get to the dealer locator at http://www.stereoplus.com/an/nosadresses.php do not only try Montréal as the sole option, the South Shore will be as accessible to you, even more so. Again, I'd call before. I can do it for you if you want. If you need more info such as directions of anything else, contact me. I'm sure I'm not the only local on this board, but I seem to be the only one that has located this thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks