What's new

Is this system good? I need some feedback (1 Viewer)

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']I am starting to plan the speakers and AV receiver for my home theater system. I had the Best Buy geek squad home theater consultant come out and help me with the placement since my basement has a few obstacles that I was not so sure how to get around. Below is a list of what he recommended for my room. Can anyone please provide any feedback or thoughts on if this is a good setup or not? I am going with a 7.1 system. Receiver: Denon AVR790 Center channel: Bose VCS-10 Front Speakers: Klipsch VB-15 Surround speakers: Klipsch VS-14 Subwoofer: Klipsch SW-450 [/FONT]Also does anyone know if monoprice.com HDMI cables are as good as Monster? (I really don’t want to pay $100 for a cable) My budget for the sound system is between $2,000-$2,500

Thank you for your input.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Denon 790 is indeed a very good receiver.

Get your subwoofer from ED-Designs, SVS-Sound or HSU-Research.

You shouldn't buy speakers based on someone elses recommendation alone. You have to listen to as many different speakers as you can and ultimately decide for yourself.

All speakers, and the front three in particular, should be from the same series from the same manufacturer. Anyone who would advise a center from Bose and the rest from Klipsch shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an electronics store. Even Best Buy.

Monoprice sells very good cables for the price, especially their Premium cables and wires, and should be more than enough for most people. I don't see any reason to spend $100 on a digital cable.

Gene,

thank you for your input. I appreciate it. I am going this weekend to listen to as many speakers as possible. The geek squad guy recommended the bose speaker because of the placement and size of the speaker. He also recommended the Klipsch VC-25.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It's really important for the front three speakers to be as near identicle as possible. As sound pans from the left to the center and then the right it should sound the same. And often times the vocals will come out of all three fronts at the same time and it will sound un-natural if a single voice comes out of two different types of speakers.

I know I was kinda harsh towards the BB guy but the center being quite a bit different from the fronts, that's a big-time no-no.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks