What's new

Is this Illegal? Solicitation on cars... (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I am SO Pissed Off at this!!!!! I pay for parking...well, my company pays for it, but the point still is that the lot I park in is a private lot. Almost every day, I have some sort of flyer or advertisement stuck under my cars windshield. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I don't do anything about it because I am usually so outraged by it that I fear I may do something stupid...example, One warm day, I left the sunroof cracked and the moron had the nerve to slip the flyer through the sunroof and into my car!! :angry: :angry: :angry: I almost felt violated. I wanted SO badly to hurl a brick through their store window!!!!!!

But here's what really got me today. It had rained out, so all the cars were wet, and this one company decided to stick their business cards to everyones windows. Since the windows were wet, they just slapped them on the windows and they stuck! :angry: :angry: :angry:

You can NOT imagine how pissed I am!!! Heaven forbid that one of those flyers does something to my paint job and you'll be reading about me in tomorrows headlines..."Disgruntled man shoots local establishment owner" :D Is there any legal action you can take against these companies??? I think I might call the owner of the lot and complain, but I doubt that they would do anything about it. I was even thinking of calling the company (that is on the flyer) and telling them off, but that probably won't solve anything either.

Anyone have any good suggestions for getting back at these people? (Legally)??

Don Black

Screenwriter
If any damage is caused to your car, file a class action claim against them on behalf of all tenants. If will get their attention at the very least...

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Someone stuck a flier on my car window and it rained while I was parked in my college parking lot. I don't drive for days at a time (I can get most everything within walking radius) so it dried onto the glass.

I had to eventually take the flier off with a razor blade! :angry:

Mike Clark

Auditioning
Got a fax machine or fax/modem at home? Set it up to fax them a copy of their own ad 1000 times during the day while you're at work :D

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
By private lot, do you mean a parking deck? or is it just a bunch of paved spaces?

You might want to try to get your company to pressure the parking lot people. Tell them that if they can't keep unauthorized people out of the lot, then you will take your business elsewhere.

They may not even know its happening, so it can't hurt. I usually take the flyer to the place of business (if I was a regular customer) and tell them I will no longer eat/buy there because of their tactics.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I usually take the flyer to the place of business (if I was a regular customer) and tell them I will no longer eat/buy there because of their tactics.
That's the other thing. If it were the same business, I'd do something like that, but 99% of the time they're flyers for a new business (this area gets a LOT of businesses that come and go), so I rarely see repeat flyers.

Or maybe they realize it's a Private lot and figure they can get away with it the first time. :angry:

I'll give the parking lot people a call and see what happens.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Mark,

Take a deep breath, Calm down. :)

There are so many more important things in the world to be upset over. People have been putting flyers on cars for decades. It's cheap advertising and in the end it doesn't do anyone any harm. Peace.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's cheap advertising and in the end it doesn't do anyone any harm
But what if the flyer actually DOES do something to my car? I'm just trying to prevent it from happening because it bothers me so much. I once parked in the wrong spot and this company wrote on my windshield in magic marker "Private Parking. Do not park here!" It was my fault, but I was SO angry about them having the nerve to write on my car that I was at the point where I almost wrote on their office door "OK".

I finally calmed down and wrote them a letter saying that I was sorry, but the next person they do that to may not be so nice and might call the cops for "Vandalism"

And what about this...Usually everyone throws the flyers on the ground (or they blow off), leaving the parking lot full of litter. I don't like to litter, so I usually end up throwing the flyer in my car and disposing of it later, but that's so unfair! and considering the flyer (from yesterday) was WET, I'm pretty pissed that it's MY responsibility to have to throw away someone elses crap!!! :angry:

[rant]DAMN PEOPLE!!! KEEP YOU'RE CRAP OFF MY CAR OR I'LL BLOW YOUR NO GOOD BRAINS OUT!!!![/rant]

Ok, I feel better now.

p.s. I called the parking lot owners and they said they couldn't do anything and that I'd have to call the police. In all actuallity, I'm really not mad enough to go to the police, so I guess I'll just deal with it. Maybe I'll just Matt's idea about letting the companies know that I'll never take my business there.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
It seems to me that I recall hearing that it is banned in many communities as littering.

If it is not considered 'litter' when it is on your car, it certainly becomes that after most people just fling it off.
I would check with the county/city on that one.

If it is not against the rules to post in your area there is still a vicious (and likely illegal) retribution.

It should not be too difficult to find the establishment. Go by after or before hours a few times a week and the owners/managers and employees cars will become apparent. A little investigating can help you single out the owners.

Next, go to Home Depot and buy 3M spray adhesive.....

Collect all the flyers you can. Apply liberally to the establishments storefront, autos, ground, cat, whatever. Wear latex gloves and you don't know me.

Unlikely you see more flyers from there again!

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Dude, i know how you feel, sorta :)

I live in a fenced condo community and it never friggin fails, i always find some damn restaurant or pizzaria flyer on my front door.

I absolutely hate having to dispose of this crap!!

Although one day i did find a great deal on pizza and ordered :)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Usually everyone throws the flyers on the ground
Thats me. I didn't ask for a stupid flier so its not my problem I just toss it on the ground. Its not my property its the stores. Afterall if there are a ton of them flying around as litter and someone complains its easy to see where they came from with the store name plastered all over the flier. I don't get them very often though. I think the places I usually park at don't allow that kind of stuff or the stores there don't need to use that kind of advertising.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's just a car. Move on.
What the hell is THAT supposed to mean!?? :rolleyes:It's attitudes like that that lead to worse problems...

"Why are you so upset? I only shot you once."
"Why are you mad? I only broke into your house, I didn't even STEAL anything"
"What's the big deal? So I pissed all over your shoes...they're only shoes!"
"Why can't I kick your dog? It's only a dog."

Please don't respond if you don't have anything meaningful to say

Thank you

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
It's just a car. Move on.
That's flame bait if I ever saw it.

Yes its just a car, but its MY car. I paid for it. Its not like buying a $20 dvd. The money used to by MY car is a big chunk of my life and people don't respect other peoples property THATS why this is a big deal.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the support Mike.

I'd love for JoshF to spend $40,000 on something and see how mad he gets when I put advertisements all over it. ;)

p.s. I would still feel the same way about a $20 DVD. It doesn't matter how much it costs, (as you stated) it's MINE and no one else should have the right to touch my stuff without my authorization.

Devin U

Second Unit
Man, I know exactly how you feel. I come out from church about two years ago, and there's a subway flyer on my windshield. I marched right over to that subway and told the idiot behind the counter I would never shop there. I called back the manager/owner on Monday as well. He said he would fire the flyer people. Whether anything was ever done, I dont know, but I havent seen another flyer on my car at church since.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I marched right over to that subway and told the idiot behind the counter I would never shop there.
What qualified the guy/gal behind the counter to be an idiot? The fact that he/she worked at Subway, or that he/she might've been the one that passed out the flyers? As angry as you might've been, you vent to the wrong person and a whole load of bad crap can happen that didn't need to. That person behind the counter may have had no clue that flyers were being distributed on cars.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
This is bothersome... but it's not what I thought the topic of this thread would be...

Lately, in the detroit suburbs, people wearing orange vests and carrying buckets for some cause or another are locating themselves at major intersections. They then walk from car to car while the light is red, begging for money for whatever cause they support. Sometimes they even slow traffic because they don't get out of the way right away when the light turns green.

When I'm driving home, the last thing I want to deal with is someone begging me for money and making me feel guilty to not supporting their cause... :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks