Is this Illegal? Solicitation on cars...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, May 22, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I am SO Pissed Off at this!!!!! I pay for parking...well, my company pays for it, but the point still is that the lot I park in is a private lot. Almost every day, I have some sort of flyer or advertisement stuck under my cars windshield. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't do anything about it because I am usually so outraged by it that I fear I may do something stupid...example, One warm day, I left the sunroof cracked and the moron had the nerve to slip the flyer through the sunroof and into my car!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I almost felt violated. I wanted SO badly to hurl a brick through their store window!!!!!!

But here's what really got me today. It had rained out, so all the cars were wet, and this one company decided to stick their business cards to everyones windows. Since the windows were wet, they just slapped them on the windows and they stuck! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You can NOT imagine how pissed I am!!! Heaven forbid that one of those flyers does something to my paint job and you'll be reading about me in tomorrows headlines..."Disgruntled man shoots local establishment owner" [​IMG] Is there any legal action you can take against these companies??? I think I might call the owner of the lot and complain, but I doubt that they would do anything about it. I was even thinking of calling the company (that is on the flyer) and telling them off, but that probably won't solve anything either.

Anyone have any good suggestions for getting back at these people? (Legally)??

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

If any damage is caused to your car, file a class action claim against them on behalf of all tenants. If will get their attention at the very least...

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Someone stuck a flier on my car window and it rained while I was parked in my college parking lot. I don't drive for days at a time (I can get most everything within walking radius) so it dried onto the glass.

I had to eventually take the flier off with a razor blade! [​IMG]

4. Mike Clark

Mike Clark Auditioning

Got a fax machine or fax/modem at home? Set it up to fax them a copy of their own ad 1000 times during the day while you're at work [​IMG]

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

By private lot, do you mean a parking deck? or is it just a bunch of paved spaces?

You might want to try to get your company to pressure the parking lot people. Tell them that if they can't keep unauthorized people out of the lot, then you will take your business elsewhere.

They may not even know its happening, so it can't hurt. I usually take the flyer to the place of business (if I was a regular customer) and tell them I will no longer eat/buy there because of their tactics.

7. MarkHastings

8. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Mark,

Take a deep breath, Calm down. [​IMG]

There are so many more important things in the world to be upset over. People have been putting flyers on cars for decades. It's cheap advertising and in the end it doesn't do anyone any harm. Peace.

9. MarkHastings

10. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

It seems to me that I recall hearing that it is banned in many communities as littering.

If it is not considered 'litter' when it is on your car, it certainly becomes that after most people just fling it off.
    I would check with the county/city on that one.

If it is not against the rules to post in your area there is still a vicious (and likely illegal) retribution.

It should not be too difficult to find the establishment. Go by after or before hours a few times a week and the owners/managers and employees cars will become apparent. A little investigating can help you single out the owners.

Next, go to Home Depot and buy 3M spray adhesive.....

Collect all the flyers you can. Apply liberally to the establishments storefront, autos, ground, cat, whatever. Wear latex gloves and you don't know me.

Unlikely you see more flyers from there again!

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Dude, i know how you feel, sorta [​IMG]

I live in a fenced condo community and it never friggin fails, i always find some damn restaurant or pizzaria flyer on my front door.

I absolutely hate having to dispose of this crap!!

Although one day i did find a great deal on pizza and ordered [​IMG]

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

13. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

It's just a car. Move on.

14. MarkHastings

15. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

16. MarkHastings

Thanks for the support Mike.

I'd love for JoshF to spend $40,000 on something and see how mad he gets when I put advertisements all over it. [​IMG]

p.s. I would still feel the same way about a $20 DVD. It doesn't matter how much it costs, (as you stated) it's MINE and no one else should have the right to touch my stuff without my authorization.

17. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

Man, I know exactly how you feel. I come out from church about two years ago, and there's a subway flyer on my windshield. I marched right over to that subway and told the idiot behind the counter I would never shop there. I called back the manager/owner on Monday as well. He said he would fire the flyer people. Whether anything was ever done, I dont know, but I havent seen another flyer on my car at church since.

18. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

19. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

fwiw, i know that posting advertisements on vehicles is illegal in dallas and los angeles.

20. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

This is bothersome... but it's not what I thought the topic of this thread would be...

Lately, in the detroit suburbs, people wearing orange vests and carrying buckets for some cause or another are locating themselves at major intersections. They then walk from car to car while the light is red, begging for money for whatever cause they support. Sometimes they even slow traffic because they don't get out of the way right away when the light turns green.

When I'm driving home, the last thing I want to deal with is someone begging me for money and making me feel guilty to not supporting their cause... [​IMG]