What's new

Is there any chance that the old 'NBC' David Letterman Show will make it to DVD? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Now that Johnny has made it to DVD, I was wondering if the old "Late Night with David Letterman" show will ever make it to DVD.

I'd kill for some of these on DVD....anyone have any info?

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Not if Dave can help it!!! He was LIVID when NBC offered up the first few seasons of his show to E. For a long time Letterman would have nothing to do with E and that is probably why clips of his show never make it to Talk Soup.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The feeling's mutual, though, isn't it?

There's a running joke on Dave's CBS shows that whenever they go to play an archive clip from the NBC era a caption comes up saying "Clip Not Available". I believe it's because NBC refuses to allow CBS to use clips from their archives.

I'd love to see a compilation of Dave's NBC shows. Here in the UK Letterman's show has only been shown since 1994, and I've never even seen any of the old shows.

A "Best of..." the CBS stuff wouldn't be a bad idea, too.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I would buy this instantly if they'd do it. That goes for the CBS show as well. And while we're at it, that goes for Conan O'Brien too!
But I won't hold my breath...:frowning:
JiM T

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'd love a Best of Letterman set, and I'd KILL for a Conan O'Brien set -- he's like Dave was about 15 years ago.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I'm glad that I taped some of the old NBC letterman shows back in the 80's and early 90's. I even have a few anniversary specials (right off the top of my head, I know I have the 7th and 10th.) Plus a few other interesting ones. All have the original commercials. Lots of nostalgia that'll probably never be re-broadcast. I'll have to get these out and watch them again soon.
Reed :)

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I first bought a vcr was to tape the Letterman morning show back in the early '80's while I was at school. Unfortunately because blank tapes were expensive and I didn't have the foresight to keep anything, I taped over the shows each day. By the time his late night show aired I got a second vcr so I could transfer 'best of's'.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a dvd-burner soon and copy all that material. Some of my favorite stuff being: almost anything with Chris Elliott (The Fugitive Guy, etc...), the previously mentioned 'non-audience show' with Teri Garr and Richard Lewis where Dave tries to get Teri into the shower, all the pre-taped segments like the pre opening-credit-sequence ones and the ones for viewer mail (back when it was funny), the early anniversary shows, especially the forth one that took place entirely on a plane flying to Florida, complete with a likeness of Connie Chung on the outside of the aircraft.

Another thing I cherish are all the appearances by comedians such as Jerry Seinfeld, Richard Lewis and Jay Leno. These are some of the funniest things EVER on television. Especially Leno. I strung together all of his appearances that I had onto a two-hour tape and I challenge anyone to find a funnier two hours. What the hell happened to him? Compared to these shows he is the opposite of funny on The Tonight Show now.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh! Oh! And the velcro suit! Yeah! And other funny suits!
Especially the Rice Krispie suit and the giant bowl of milk! :laugh:

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I have the final NBC show. But I'd like to get the one where Sean Connery makes his entrance with the jet pack from Thunderball.
Reed :)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
TerryW,

I agree with you 100%.

After all these years I unfortunately have only a couple of tapes left of miscellaneous Letterman from the "golden" era. I think my favorite is the 5th (?) Anniversary Special in which Chris Elliot is exposed as a computerized robot. I think Elliot's appearances as the Fugitive Guy and the Regulator Guy are some of the best moments ever.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, as long as we're recalling some of the funniest moments on the old Letterman show, I can neve quite forget the appearance by Eddie Murphy on the show when Dave was playing with the remote-control blimp. I think it was right after they came back from a commercial that Murphy was holding one end of the blimp near his crotch, laughed in the classic Eddie way (heEH heEH heEEH) and said "Y'know, that's just about right!". :D

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I, too, started taping Letterman at night and watched it in the morning. Back then, I was working in the media lab at NJIT so if there was something funny, I'd pop in my Letterman Compilation Tape and tape away.

Some things off the top of my head:

MANY calls to Megan

The Strong Guy, the Fat Guy, the Genius

Larry "Bud" Mellman with a "Bite Me" sign on the roof of a CBS building

Will Smith grape throwing

Zsa Zsa and Dave going to fast food restaurants

Steve Martin "How to be a good guest"

The original intro with the World Trade Center

One or two anniversary shows

I'm pretty sure I have the last one or two NBC shows, and the entire first week of CBS shows

There's a LOT more. I have to go back and get a list of what's on there.

Mike

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
A couple other things that would be great to see again:

Late Night Monkey Cam

Any old Richard Simmons bits

Bill Murray sing Olivia Netwon-John

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
For those wanting a "Best of Conan" video there is one. It was his 5th Anniversary show which was a recap of all the funniest moments. This was in '98 and even did the show in the SNL studio, very cool.

I picked it up at the NBC Store in Rock Center 2 Xmas's ago. I'm looking on their website now and don't see it, dunno if it's still available or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks