What's new

Is there a way to configure my Receiver and TV so I can continue to watch the game while playing music from another input? New 4K box no optical audio (1 Viewer)

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
Is there a way to configure my Receiver and TV so I can continue to watch the game while playing music from another input? New 4K box no optical audio

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I believe you would have to run a second HDMI cable from your video source to your TV, bypassing the receiver, if that's available (if not you can buy a splitter). I did this for a while.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
What is the make and model of the receiver? Some manufacturers allow a video source to play through on an audio source. Which means you could have the game play through on the music input.

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
What is the make and model of the receiver? Some manufacturers allow a video source to play through on an audio source. Which means you could have the game play through on the music input.
A little background. I just had to upgrade cable box and the new 4K box does not use optical which I had running before and I could switch to my SA/CD input that I was running my DJ controller with RCA’s and the TV picture would stay on. Now I’m not sure if it’s because of the box change or I inadvertently switched settings on the receiver?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess I'm confused about what changed. I'm guessing the optical output you lost from the old cable box isn't the issue, since I presume your music source doesn't come from the cable box. So, what is the music source you want to play back along with the video from the cable box?

Is this what you want to do? Watch video from the cable box as you listen to music from another source? Again, what is that music source and how is it connected to the receiver?

Also, how is the cable box connected to the system?

You'll probably have multiple options, and can choose the one that works best for you.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Here's an online manual I found. Having spent a few minutes perusing it, I do not believe you will be able to separate audio and video sources in this way but, like @JohnRice , I am curious as to how you were doing it before.

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
Correct I’d like the video from the cable box which is connected to my receiver. Arc output then connected to TV ARC. The second music source is a DJ controller I run to the SA/CD input of the receiver with RCA’s. This is the same set up I had before changing the box and TV. I may have changed an input setting on the receiver in error but I don’t know what it would be?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) ARC is not a factor. It doesn't come into consideration for what you are doing.

2) If your previous cable box was connected with hdmi then nothing is actually different. If you just swapped out the old hdmi cable box for the new hdmi cable box, it should work exactly the same as before. So, did you change something in the receiver?]

Unfortunately, we still don't have enough info about what changed... I think.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to add, without digging deep into the receiver's manual. sometimes they have a "Simulcast" feature, where if you choose a video input, then select an audio only input, it continues to send the video source through the hdmi output, but plays back the audio input through the speakers. The thing is, you have to select the video source first. I don't know if your receiver has this feature, but based on how you said it used to work, it sounds like it does.

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
When swapping everything out I did run through settings on the receiver and change some speaker settings but I also may have moved an input setting in error because I’m not clear on how those works. I’m trying to scroll through all settings and see what I might have switched

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It sounds like the receiver would leave the last video source active when you switched to an audio-only source (which is what the SA/CD source is).

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
Just to add, without digging deep into the receiver's manual. sometimes they have a "Simulcast" feature, where if you choose a video input, then select an audio only input, it continues to send the video source through the hdmi output, but plays back the audio input through the speakers. The thing is, you have to select the video source first. I don't know if your receiver has this feature, but based on how you said it used to work, it sounds like it does.
So now I really have got myself confused but have figured out a way to make it work. As long as I run my HDMI directly from cable box to TV and PS5 HDMI to another port on the TV and run my optical for audio from TV I can have the TV playing and switch to another input on my receiver and play audio. When I use the ARC function the second I switch inputs the screen will go black.
One thing I really don’t like about running it this way is now the PS5 and the cable both run off the same receiver input. To toggle back and forth I use the cable remote tv input. The old set up I had a receiver input for cable and a second for the PS5 and they were labeled as such
So I’ve upgraded 2 things 1) a 4KTV and 2 the 4K box
Set up 1) cable box HDMI direct to TV
Cable box optical audio to cable optical port of receiver
PS5 HDMI to game HDMI input of receiver
Receiver arc output to TV
Now if you remember I could only put 1 HDMi in at a time due to the ground loop so depending on which one I was using I’d put them in the TV arc port. If it was PS5 hdmi in I had to use the ps5 input on the receiver for audio. If it was the TV HDMI I had to use the input I labeled cable. As noted I could watch TV while playing audio from the SA/CD input

Set up 2) cable HDMI direct to TV HDMi input
PS5 HDMI direct to 2nd TV HDMI
TV optical audio direct to receiver optical input (tv)
Any idea on why they now don’t work the same? Is it the TV optical now instead of the optical from cable box? New TV HDMI inputs all being 2.2?
I’d love to figure this out and be able to label separate receiver inputs again but it is functioning how I need. Your heads spinning yet?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
…pretty much. I like to believe I understand the options rather well, but I don seem to be able to read what you did.

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
…pretty much. I like to believe I understand the options rather well, but I don seem to be able to read what you did.
Just based off everything I’ve attempted it appears that as long as I’m running the video source through the TV and not through the receiver and back to the TV and then running the audio through the TV’s optical to the receiver then I can watch the television and still switch to another input to play external audio source. Thinking back I had to have been running it this way with my old setup

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just based off everything I’ve attempted it appears that as long as I’m running the video source through the TV and not through the receiver and back to the TV and then running the audio through the TV’s optical to the receiver then I can watch the television and still switch to another input to play external audio source. Thinking back I had to have been running it this way with my old setup
Yes. That was the basic idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks