What's new

Is there a switchbox for component cables? (1 Viewer)

Roger P

Auditioning
I'm planning to get Sony WEGA flatscreen TV, but I notice that it only comes with one component input in the back. Is there a switchbox available that allows me to connect multiple devices?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Well you could use a receiver, or you could buy one of those audio/video switchest ehy apparently work great. The manual ones not digital as those would degrade the signal.

I believe keydigital makes one as well.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Roger, I'm looking for the same kind of device. I know they make them, but I just can't find them anywhere. I've checked Sound City and Parts Express (two places that usually have everything)

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
Crutchfield.com has one (JVC JX-S111) for about $100.00 that has three component inputs, one S-Video and one composite (plus a front input for camcorder etc). Same one that Brian mentioned above, only his price is cheaper than Crutchfield. They also have one for about $500.00.

RichN

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I use a Radio Shack 4 into 1 analog switcher for 4 devices:

HDTV MPEG2 Receiver

DISH Network HDTV

Gamecube/PS2

DVD

Works like a champ, cost less than 20 bucks on sale.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Scooter, is that just a A/V selector (red/white/yello) that you've plugged components into? Do you have any signal loss? I'm thinking that might be an option, but I was worried about signal loss.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Signal loss isn't that big an issue with RPTVs since the sets can't display the full HD bandwidth anyway. If you are really concerned about this then get an Extron or other pro-video switcher.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Greg, theres a difference between getting a unit that is rated for component video (instead of one that is rated for composite) and a professional unit that is $500...

What "ohm" is standard Component cable? For instance you'll get signal loss using something less than 75 ohm video cable on Digital Coax runs.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
What "ohm" is standard Component cable?
All video cables should be made with 75 ohm coax cable and hopefully with good RCA plugs.
The wrong cable does not loose signal (not with these short runs in your home), but it can cause some frequencies to reflect inside the cable. The simple symptom is a "ghost" on your picture.
While they sell professional grade stuff, check out Link Removed .

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
After an afternoon of searching I finally found this:
x257jxs111-b.jpeg

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...fo&i=257JXS111
I think it is what I'll go with, though its a bit expensive.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Dave...yes that is the exact piece I have and it works JUST fine! So for the delay in responding.

As for the other unit you show..the JVC piece.. I can only say EVERY JVC piece of gear I have ever owned was garbage. Maybe it was just my luck! Notice that the switcher they show there has no apparent provision for switching digital audio either via coax or toslink.

As for the Radio Shack piece..keep your eye for a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks