What's new

Help understanding up-conversion (1 Viewer)

Autoeng

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
I recently ordered my new receiver, an Onkyo TXSR504, and am concerned that I didn't understand audio and video up-conversion which is going to limit my gear's ability to work with one another. Besides the receiver I have a TV that has S-cable in, DVD with optical and coax audio and S-cable and component video outs, VCR with RCA outs, Dish Network DVR with optical audio and S-cable video outs and Sirius Sat with RCA outs.

I "thought" that up-conversion had to do with HDTV, which I don't have, but after looking at the manual on-line, as I haven't received my receiver yet, I think it can also mean that all of your equipment must use the same connectivity factor in order to feed the audio and video through the receiver.

Quote from the manual concerning video connections "When choosing a connection format, bear in mind that the AV receiver doesn't convert between formats, so only outputs of the same format of the input will output the signal."

And

Quote from the manual concerning audio connections "When choosing a connection format, bear in mind that the AV receiver doesn't convert between formats."

One of the things I looked forward to with the Onkyo was that it supported component video input where my old system did not. I hope to upgrade my TV in the future and was going to do so with a component input ready unit but that appears to only benefit the quality of the DVD player as all of the other components are either S-cable or RCA.

My questions are:

What is up-conversion?

Can I input these various formats of video and output them all to the TV with a S-cable so that when I want to change between devices I can do it without a stand alone switchbox or changing the channel (video input) of the TV?

When I upgrade the TV to a component input ready unit will this receiver be limited?

Thanks for the help,
Autoeng

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Kelly

There are others on this Forum with a great deal more expertise, but to give you a little of an answer.

1) I think you are a little ahead of yourself. You really need an HDTV to appreciate the small difference upconversion makes.

2) I wouldn't even bother with an upconvert DVD player. I would get a discontinued Toshiba first generation HD DVD player that can do a really good job of upconverting as well as play HD DVD and SD DVD and probably CD as well. Best Buy had them on closeout for $299.

Happy New Year

PS I have an inexpensive progressive scan DVD player that looks pretty fine on my HD 65 inch CRT RPTV.

Please take your time and you are not missing much at this point.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Kelly, what the manual is telling you is that for a particular receiver input, you have to use the output type corresponding to the input type, ie. if you have component video in, you need to use component video out for that input. Example, for input "Video 1", you hook your DVD to the receiver using S-Video...you will need to hook the S-Video out for "Video 1" to your TV. There will be no signal at the component video output for "Video 1" since no upconversion is done. My Rotel receiver is the same. I hope this helps. I'm not always clear.

Autoeng

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
Well that sucks as I think my TV only supports one direct monitor channel (00). Now it is a choice to either eliminate the VCR or purchase a new one that has S-cable out (if there is such a thing). My wife is insistant (and I agree) to eliminate the switchbox) so that we can change source without having to get up.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't received the receiver yet (pun inteded, sorry it's early in the morning and my humor is worse than normal :) ), you might want to consider holding off and looking for a receiver that does indeed convert between signal types to simplify things for you, rather than replacing the VCR.

Autoeng

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
As I only have a few tapes that need conversion to DVD I think I'll just let the VCR go the way of the cassette player as search for someone to record from VCR to DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks