DB15 vs. Component to Projector

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RyanDL, Sep 27, 2004.

1. RyanDL

RyanDL Auditioning

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I searched extensively and found no answer.

I am in the process of putting together my home theater. I will be installing a ceiling mounted projector and will need to run a video cable from my source(s) to the projector. I plan on only running a single video feed and using my home theater receiver as a video switchbox, as it will do upconversion (if necessary) and has component video out.

Is there a advantage/disadvantage to converting the signal from component to a VGA/DB15 wire before running the approx. 30 ft. length from my video source to the projector? I cannot find any home theater specific data regarding the DB15 cable, but it should be markedly less expensive than running 3 component cables the same distance.

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

2. David Laplante

Hi,

I am no expert but I have the same setup as what you want to do and, for me, the picture is great... I haven't done any comparisons but the picture is very fine with me.

I had a normal RCA cable before and between that and the DB15/component cable, that DB15/Component picture wins hands down!

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

If you break open a decent HD15 cable, very often you will find... five pieces of coax. Maybe a few other wires for sense pins and things like that, but very often the RGBHV will be mini-coax anyway.

Leo

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Given a choice and unlimited budget I would run three (five for RGBHV) separate HDTV grade video cables all the way to the projector and if necessary solder them into a DB15 (VGA) plug there.

The quality of the lines in a VGA cable is quite uncertain and may result in degradation of HDTV at 30 feet, although the result is still a lot better than using a single cable for composite video. I have some 6 foot VGA cables where I could see the difference in picture quality (1024 x 768, approximately 720p in bandwidth requirement).

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm