What's new

Is there a difference in stream quality across devices? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
While I understand the quality of streamed 4k content you receive in your home is dependent on many factors -- most notably your Internet connection -- I am wondering how much emphasis is put on the actual streaming device?

One (like myself) might think that Apple TV, with its larger hardware footprint and exorbitant price point, would offer the best streaming quality.

But is that really true?

In comparing, do you get the equal streaming quality through a smaller 4k Roku or Firestick?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, I have found inconsistencies with both the Apple 4KTV and the Firestick 4K in terms of the apps. Sometimes the Prime app on Apple won't have the HDR version of a show, and it'll take days to get it fixed when Prime gets around to sending the proper streams to Apple.

When both are working properly, I haven't noticed any differences in video quality though I usually use the Apple TV4K.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, I have found inconsistencies with both the Apple 4KTV and the Firestick 4K in terms of the apps. Sometimes the Prime app on Apple won't have the HDR version of a show, and it'll take days to get it fixed when Prime gets around to sending the proper streams to Apple.

When both are working properly, I haven't noticed any differences in video quality though I usually use the Apple TV4K.

Good to hear!

That reminds me: I have also heard complaints about frames being dropped on the Apple TV (though it may only be the Criterion Channel app) for which I am unsure if those issues have been resolved as of yet.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Good to hear!

That reminds me: I have also heard complaints about frames being dropped on the Apple TV (though it may only be the Criterion Channel app) for which I am unsure if those issues have been resolved as of yet.
Nope, it's still happening, and made me buy a Roku just to watch Criterion. And I do notice that all things being equal, there are more noticeable compression artifacts via Roku than Apple TV on a number of streaming apps.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nope, it's still happening, and made me buy a Roku just to watch Criterion. And I do notice that all things being equal, there are more noticeable compression artifacts via Roku than Apple TV on a number of streaming apps.

Nick,

Thanks for that update. Sorry to hear that the Criterion Channel issues still exist on Apple TV and that Apple hasn't been able to do anything about it.

Your second point is one that was brought to my attention when we were considering how effective digital reviews would be on HTF. It was pointed out in our discussion that people have different streaming hardware and that all may not be created equal which would mean that unlike a disc, not everyone would be seeing the same results on their display as the next guy. The comparison was an Apple TV vs. a Roku or Firestick. Just didn't know how true or untrue that was.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I've had a similar experience with the NHL app, where the audio will get out of sync when watching a live game telecast with the Apple TV 4K device but not with my Roku Ultra device.

The Apple device does support Dolby Vision, which may (or may not) offer some improved video quality over HDR10-only devices like the Rokus for material which is HDR-encoded.

For most material, I really do not notice any video quality difference. I tend to use my Apple TV 4K over the Roku Ultra in my main HT setup, but have just Roku devices on my other displays due to cost and the availability of the Xfinity app on Roku and not Apple. I use that app instead of renting extra cable boxes on three of our five displays. The only app I use that's not available on Roku is for the new Peacock service, but I don't watch that very much.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've watched a number of stuff on The Criterion Channel with my ATV units and haven't noticed the frame issue.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Nope, it's still happening, and made me buy a Roku just to watch Criterion.

I haven't used the Apple Fire, but I have heard complaints about it from many folks including my son who is an "Apple Lover" and has almost 100 percent Apple products in his home. I use Roku.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I've watched a number of stuff on The Criterion Channel with my ATV units and haven't noticed the frame issue.
It doesn't happen on most titles. Speculation is that Apple doesn't support a 24fps frame rate (as opposed to 23.97), but whatever it is, it's annoying when it happens.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
For what it's worth, Apple doesn't write the ATV apps of other studios. That's up to them. For the longest time there was no Amazon Prime app and Apple took a lot of flak for that. But as Apple pointed out, it was up to Amazon to write it.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I haven't used the Apple Fire, but I have heard complaints about it from many folks including my son who is an "Apple Lover" and has almost 100 percent Apple products in his home. I use Roku.

I don't mean this to be snarky, but the only Apple Fire I know of is a wildfire burning in California. Do you mean the Amazon Fire devices?

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
I was really glad to see this question, Ron. I've always found slight but noticeable differences in the streaming quality of various devices. Other folks say that they see no differences at all, but I think it's dependent upon how good one's vision is and what expectations are.

In general, on my system, I think the Roku Ultra has the best looking video. The Apple TV 4K looks like some sort of gentle video processing is going on, but I'd be hard pressed to put into words exactly what it is. The Fire TV Stick 4K also does not look as good as the Roku. On some apps, the Fire stick has problems with stuttering and "graininess", for lack of a better word, vs. the Roku.

Again, this is all just my opinion using my equipment. Any of the streamers mentioned would be fine to use, but there ARE differences in video quality, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks