What's new

Is there a boxofficemojo for music ? (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Sometimes, my mind wanders, and I wonder how many albums say R.E.M. has sold versus Queen.

Boxofficemojo.com is a fine place to find out sales of movies, but does something like that exist for music (albums and singles) ?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Can I assume that Bobby Brown/Whitney Houston (54 million) is the biggest selling husband-wife team? Tim McGraw (26 million)/Faith Hill (23 million) and Vince Gill (22.5 million)/Amy Grant (16.5 million) is right behind though. Unless Garth Brooks (105 million) has popped the question to Trisha Yearwood (12 million).

Alex-C

Screenwriter
You know what is funny, Garth Brooks could pop the question to anyone, Wierd Al, Toni Basil, me !!! and we'd be the #1 husband and wi..well, partnered team.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
The only problem is the RIAA doesn't list actual numbers, just how many million. If an artist's album isn't gold or platinum, it won't show up in their list.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
IMO, RIAA isn't good enough, certifications and sales are different. There's a Backstreet Boys album that was certified at 8 million as soon as it was released and to this day is sitting at 5 million sold, and it doesn't have the "catalogue" sales that it'll eventually go to 8 mil.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's correct. The RIAA is certifications ONLY not actual sales. If Michael Jackson has a new CD coming out next week, and Sony (is that who he's with?) SHIPPED 5 million copies, but it only SOLD 100,000...they could certify it as 5 million copies. Conversely, if Kelly Clarkson sells 10 million copies, and her label does not PAY to get it certified, it will not be "recognized" by the RIAA. Just one more reason to dislike the RIAA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks