Is there a boxofficemojo for music ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Alex-C, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Sometimes, my mind wanders, and I wonder how many albums say R.E.M. has sold versus Queen.

Boxofficemojo.com is a fine place to find out sales of movies, but does something like that exist for music (albums and singles) ?

2. DanielCo

DanielCo Stunt Coordinator

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Can I assume that Bobby Brown/Whitney Houston (54 million) is the biggest selling husband-wife team? Tim McGraw (26 million)/Faith Hill (23 million) and Vince Gill (22.5 million)/Amy Grant (16.5 million) is right behind though. Unless Garth Brooks (105 million) has popped the question to Trisha Yearwood (12 million).

4. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

You know what is funny, Garth Brooks could pop the question to anyone, Wierd Al, Toni Basil, me !!! and we'd be the #1 husband and wi..well, partnered team.

5. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

The only problem is the RIAA doesn't list actual numbers, just how many million. If an artist's album isn't gold or platinum, it won't show up in their list.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

IMO, RIAA isn't good enough, certifications and sales are different. There's a Backstreet Boys album that was certified at 8 million as soon as it was released and to this day is sitting at 5 million sold, and it doesn't have the "catalogue" sales that it'll eventually go to 8 mil.

7. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Yeah, that's correct. The RIAA is certifications ONLY not actual sales. If Michael Jackson has a new CD coming out next week, and Sony (is that who he's with?) SHIPPED 5 million copies, but it only SOLD 100,000...they could certify it as 5 million copies. Conversely, if Kelly Clarkson sells 10 million copies, and her label does not PAY to get it certified, it will not be "recognized" by the RIAA. Just one more reason to dislike the RIAA.