What's new

Is the Sony 595 worth 188 bucks? (1 Viewer)

Al_Swanson

Agent
I'm in need of yet my third HT receiver. This is for a very small retreat (12x14) attached to my bedroom, so power, ect isn't that crucial. It's going to be hooked up to a 36inch RCA (one s-vid, two composite) and some other stuff. I know the Sony has no s-vid (despite it being able to switch component, go figure), but I am not worried about that, either. What I wanna know is, does it sound decent and will it last?
I love Sony and have a lot of their stuff - but no receivers. The one I did have 10 years ago puked before it made it a year. I replaced it and the next one puked in 10 months as well. I replaced that too - sold it to a guy I knew and it puked on him!
Soooo, are Sony receivers any better than they were? Will it make it a couple years?
Any others in the sub-200 dollar catagory ya'all would recommend?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well unfortunatly I have had the same problem with lower-end Sony recievers..

I would recommend either the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 or the Onkyo TSX501. Both great units and are going to do S-Video.

The Onkyo can be found for like $160 i've seen and the HK for about $180-200

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
SONY STRDA1000ES sub $200? I would stay away from sony's lower end receivers. Component switching and no s-video :thumbsdown:. I would also recommend the h/k and onkyo's above for the sub $200 price range.

cabreau

Second Unit
AVR-125 or the Onkyo listed above. John S installs them and says that he's been continually awed by the performance.

Ryan.S.

Grip
I was recently considering a sony receiver too. But after a lot of research and a lot of advice from this site. I decided that the Onkyo TX-SR501 is a lot better for the money. I got mine from Ecost.com $184.95 and I got it in 3 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks