Is the Sony 595 worth 188 bucks?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Al_Swanson, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

I'm in need of yet my third HT receiver. This is for a very small retreat (12x14) attached to my bedroom, so power, ect isn't that crucial. It's going to be hooked up to a 36inch RCA (one s-vid, two composite) and some other stuff. I know the Sony has no s-vid (despite it being able to switch component, go figure), but I am not worried about that, either. What I wanna know is, does it sound decent and will it last?
    I love Sony and have a lot of their stuff - but no receivers. The one I did have 10 years ago puked before it made it a year. I replaced it and the next one puked in 10 months as well. I replaced that too - sold it to a guy I knew and it puked on him!
    Soooo, are Sony receivers any better than they were? Will it make it a couple years?
    Any others in the sub-200 dollar catagory ya'all would recommend?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well unfortunatly I have had the same problem with lower-end Sony recievers..

I would recommend either the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 or the Onkyo TSX501. Both great units and are going to do S-Video.

The Onkyo can be found for like $160 i've seen and the HK for about $180-200

3. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

4. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

SONY STRDA1000ES sub $200? I would stay away from sony's lower end receivers. Component switching and no s-video [​IMG]. I would also recommend the h/k and onkyo's above for the sub $200 price range.

5. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

6. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

AVR-125 or the Onkyo listed above. John S installs them and says that he's been continually awed by the performance.

7. Ryan.S.

Ryan.S. Extra

I was recently considering a sony receiver too. But after a lot of research and a lot of advice from this site. I decided that the Onkyo TX-SR501 is a lot better for the money. I got mine from Ecost.com $184.95 and I got it in 3 days.