What's new

Is the rp91 an rp82 but better? What is better? (1 Viewer)

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
What are the differences? Do they warrant the extra money? Is the build quality better? Thanks!

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
The RP82 has the same exact Panasonic MPEG Decoder as the RP91. PLUS the RP82 has the Sage FLI2200 DCDI deinterlacer chip in it giving it a more superior progressive scan picture then the RP91's Genesis based deinterlacer. The RP82 will give a better picture then the RP91 in progressive mode, and the RP91 will give a slightly better picture in interlaced mode. The RP91 is built much better then the RP82, but as long as you don't plan on dropping the RP82, it's build quality is sufficient enough. BTW if you need zoom and scaling ability, only the RP91 can offer it because the RP82 has no zoom or scaling ability. Get the RP82, like I said it has better progressive scan picture and will cost half the price of Panasonic's "Once Reference Quality" DVD player the RP91.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
Jason you are a bit confusing...in a previous thread about cp72 having 4:3 zoom you said it does but now you are saying the rp82 doesn't have zoom (assuming cp72 has same functions as rp82) isn't that contradicting? Maybe there is some miscommunication somewhere? Thanks!

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I have the RP82 and I have used the zoom. It IS there. However, the zoom ratio is a set and you can not zoom to any level. See my above post for the zooms it does.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I would add that the "zoom" only works for a 4:3 TV, and that it chops off some of the sides of the picture. It does nothing on a widescreen (16:9) TV.

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are correct. The RP82/CP72 do zoom but it is only a 2X Zoom for 4:3 TVs to cut the bars in half on a 2:35:1 and cut them off completely on a 1:85:1 therefor losing lines of resolution. What the RP82/Cp72 doesn't do is scale non-anamorphic and 4:3 DVDs to fit a 16:9 TV properly. Sorry about not clearing that up.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
HHMMMM,

Not to rub salt in anyone's wounds, I bought the RP-82 due to all it's accolades. Now, as it sits in it's box, I find that for people like me that have a 4:3 TV that only accepts 480i, the zoom goes to full pan and scan. I enjoy my Toshibas zoom mode that I can hit once to slightly narrow the gap on my 35" Sony. I will not be able to do this. Does the Denon 1600 allow a once single zoom? I might need to dispose of my 82!

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

It is true the Toshiba and JVC zoom and scaling capabilities can't be beat for the price. I would say if you still have a 36" or smaller 480i Tube TV, then you aren't going to really need the small difference of PQ in 480i that the RP82 will deliver over the Toshiba SD-4800 especially since on that size of screen the chroma bug will barely be noticable. Where the RP82 tops the Toshiba SD-4800 is when you have a 50" or larger HDTV and you are actually using the progressive output of the RP82 which utilizes the wonderful Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 DCDI deinterlacer. Also with the bigger screened HDTV, you shoudln't mind the black bars that you get on a 2:35:1 DVD, since they are how the film is suppose to be viewed in the first place and therefore should NOT be zoomed with the DVD player. Anytime you zoom it will introduce noise into the picture no matter if it is 1.2X zoom or 1024X zoom which the JVC offers. I admit I use the incremental zoom on my JVC XV-SA70BK hooked up to a 27" Tube TV in the bedroom on 2:35:1 films and it looks pretty good. I always leave the 1:85:1 films intact because the small bars are distracting at all considering how much clearer the picture looks without zooming it. Do you zoom only 2:35:1 films on your 35" Sony, or do you also zoom the 1:85:1 films? Either way you will be losing some valuable picture, so I guess it truly is a compromise between the two.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Jason,

do you also zoom the 1:85:1 films?
NO

Thanks for the reply. I do not think I can do another Toshiba seeing that this one couldn't make it a full year(hiccuping and pixelizing). Since I must replace it, I figured I would add DVD-A to my DA5ES and team it with my SCDC222ES SACD player. I simply don't want to hookup all this, and then take it apart! It will be until HDTV is mandatory before I rid myself of this beutiful 35" V tube!

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

Why don't you just keep the RP82 for its features and reliabilty, and get rid of the Toshiba?

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Why don't you just keep the RP82 for its features and reliabilty, and get rid of the Toshiba?
That's what I am trying to decide. I will move the Toshiba to the bedroom in any event. I am squirming to try DVD-A now! The Denon 1600 was getting my vote but the Denon site lists no zoom at all. I really do not want to spend 250.00 more for better audio that I might not use( I really like redbook on my 222ES). Oh, I just might sit on it a little longer.

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

The Rp82 has pretty good DVD-A playback at 24/96 5.1 MLP or 24/192 MLP Stereo through my Sony DA4ES. It is hard for me to even find a DVD-A title I want to spend $20 on. I did buy the reference quality DVD-A that Queen has with the DTS 24/96 track on it and compared the DTS 24/96 track to the MLP tracks. I felt the DTS 24/96 had better surround effects, sounded clearer, and was a much brighter sound that I like then either the 24/96 PCM tracks or the muddy sounding 24/96 5.1 MLP track. I know the Burr Brown DACs in the Denon DVD-1600 are suppose to be top notch, but are they really worth the $200 over the RP82 when you can have a wonderful sounding DTS 24/96 track sent to your receiver to decode? I say "NO WAY"!!! What do you think of SACD's? I have only heard DVD-A and no properly put together SACDs.

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

Yeah your DA5ES doesn't have onboard DTS24/96 like the DA4ES and DA7ES. I feel the DTS 24/96 is a very promising digital only format. I just wish they would actually come out with some newer stiff using it. I love the sound of my DA4ES DACs therefore the DTS 24/96 is a perfect hi-res digital format for me. I am also thinking about trying the SACD format out. Is there a marginal difference in clarity over 16/44.1 PCM CD output on pop and rap music?

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Is there a marginal difference in clarity over 16/44.1 PCM CD output on pop and rap music
Copared to SACD? Well that depends. I only have a few cds in both cd and sacd format so in rock, so far very little. I don't own any rap.
Boston sacd = or slightly better than cd
Cowboy junkies Open sacd much better than cd
Journeys greates hits sacd= cd
Bruce Springsteen and Aerosmith sacds slighter better than cd.
Stevie Ray Vaugn sacd MUCH MUCH better than cd.
This is all the rock titles I have that I have on cd and sacd. I can say that James Taylor on sacd is incredible!
Gotta run, I see you live in Tornado alley, I will be heading back there tomorrow! If your ever in Tulsa area, come on over for some SACD listening!

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I was in the same boat with my new Panny (CP72). I was replacing a wonderful NON PROGRESSIVE Sony DVP-S7700. It has been a GREAT player, but now I have a Mitsu 55" 16:9 that won't let me format/zoom on the progressive inputs. Needless to say, I felt like an A$$ when my Wife wanted to know WHY we STILL have Black bars, after ANOTHER $2,500 TV! Well, after some research, I needed the BEST player that scaled, with no chroma bug, DVD-A or SACD, decent remote (Panny's is the worst remote I've EVER seen) and it couldn't break the bank. After MUCH research, it came down to the new JVC XV-SA600BK. It meets all my needs: great scaling, asthetics (black), input-wise, video performance, audio performance, remote, price was $189 delivered with Resevoir Dogs SE AND Yes Symphonic Live DVD-A via rebate. Authorized dealer as well (Vanns.com). It should be here on Monday. Fingers are crossed!
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VA600B&o=m&a=0

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
now I have a Mitsu 55" 16:9 that won't let me format/zoom on the progressive inputs. Needless to say, I felt like an A$$ when my Wife wanted to know WHY we STILL have Black bars, after ANOTHER $2,500 TV!
Try turning the lights off when watching a 2.35:1 movie, and watch the movie instead of the black bars. It beats cropping the picture and missing part of the film.

I've never had anyone complain about "those black bars" when watching a 2.35:1 film on our 56-inch 16x9 Toshiba.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks