What do you DISLIKE about the panasonic RP91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I've been playing around with a RP91 for a few days and I really, really like it.

There are some annoying things that I'm not thrilled about. But I must note that some of these things may be features available with the remote. The open boxed player I'm using came with a standard panasonic dvd remote. I also don't have a manual.

I'm really thinking about getting another player (new) and was curious what people dislike. I've read Don and Stacey's review in the shootout. And you know what... the Genesis chip does a pretty great job from what I've seen. My biggest gripes about progressive players is red flicker (an instant return on this problem)

I'm not in a big rush, and I'm usure if the new rp82 might be as good or better a player. I thought if I could see some constructive critisim of the rp91 I might be able to make a good decision.

Things I dislike:

- No switch from progressive to interlaced except on the player.

- The user interface, although it's not bad it's not great. I don't like the menus, there are some great features inside the menus, it's just a pain to get to what you want to change.

- No zoom except the hard wired zoom for letterboxed material. Seems like the hardware supports it.

- No way to select 4:3 display features (ie, disp u4 menu zoom, auto, shrink) without going through the menus.

- The thing that I'll call switch to video mode (not sure if that's what it really is) when menus appear and there is a slight freeze of the image where the image gets blury before being corrected. (Genesis problem?)

- DVD-A no bass management (well, I didn't see any) But still sounded pretty great

Pleasantly Surprised by:

- ToyStory no red flicker on the tinkertoy lid!

- 4:3 Auto zoom works very well!

- Power off and then play will restart where the player was (great feature tosh had for years)

So is the Genesis chip that big of a deal? The rp56 Sage-Faroudja setup wasn't as impressive to me. Maybe I'm wrong. The toystory scene where where woody is launched onto the couch arm an the camera rotates looked better on the rp-56 and the tosh 4700, but not much.

2. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

3. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

For a rather high end DVD player it still reads "Welcome To The DVD World" upon startup. [​IMG]

4. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Andrew, do you have any good examples where I could see this deinterlacer have problems? I got a large libray so I might be able to see this.

Scenes with Large red objects moving quickly always catch my eye as problems. But, I'm sure there are some fine cross hatch type examples. (maybe that star trek movie opening I don't have?)

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I had an RP56 and sold it off to get the 91. As far as interlaced images, I couldn't really see any difference. This was on a 27" direct view, so maybe differences would be more noticeable on a rear projection. As far as the user interface, it takes about 10 minutes to get used to, then you should be able to navigate through it without a problem.

the one issue I do have with the 91 is NO SCREEN SAVER. why is a simple screen saver not available on a $500 plus player. Even my old $180 RCA has a screen saver that kicks on after 5 minutes. No excuse for the 91 not having one.

6. phil-w

phil-w Stunt Coordinator

No Time Remaining Display

Picture settings can carry over and "infect" other discs.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The items I dislike about the RP-91:

1. No way to display "time remaining" on a DVD-Video. All my other players -- Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer -- had this feature.

2. No way to switch the 4:3 aspect ratio control via the remote. This must be done through the menus.

3. No bass management for DVD-Audio. I did not care about this until I upgraded my receiver to one with 5.1 analog inputs a month ago, though.

4. No way to completely turn off the LCD readout on the player. This is not a huge deal, but it would be nice.

I still think this player is a big improvement over my previous progressive player, the Toshiba SD-6200. The issue listed above where you cannot switch between progressive and interlaced output from the remote is not a big deal for me. I never had the need to switch to interlaced output on either this player or my Toshiba 6200.

8. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Greg, I'm use to it, I just think it could have been better done. It's really a question of obscuring the screen to get all the settings into one menu.

There is no screen saver? I hadn't noticed that.

9. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

10. phil-w

phil-w Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, that is exactly what happens. It is very frustrating trying to clear the memory settings every time I put in a new disc.

Phenomenal picture though!

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Since the lower slots on my rack are for the physically big components, my RP91 is about 4 feet up. Seated I can't read the display. It's glass is slanted up, why? The remote window is rather small too. I too wondered why no screen saver? I hate the remote and never touch it. I put everything on my Marantz remote. I despise the 91's ergonomics but it's got a fine picture! Add it won't play my Boz Scaggs DIG DVD-A...!

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

13. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

No "Time Remaining" display is my only gripe, but it's a biggie! This is obviously not that hard to do since almost every Apex DVD player I've seen has this function.

Peace,

DM

14. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

15. phil-w

phil-w Stunt Coordinator

I calibrated the settings for my orighinal display device. When I changed my display device I needed different settings. Every time I put in a previously viewed disc it reverted to the old settings. If I forgot to check and put in a new disc, those settings were transferred to the new disc. It is a real pain in the ass [​IMG]

16. phil-w

phil-w Stunt Coordinator

Not only is the time remaining display easy to do, it is on other panasonic players! I have a panasonic RV-80 that has the time remaining display for DVD video. There is no reason why it should not be on the RP91 except incompetence[​IMG]

17. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

Although not a mjor gripe per se, but I did pick up the Kenwood demo DVD that showcases what the Sage chip utilizing DCDI can do for de-interlacing.

I can tell that the RP91 does not live up.

The ergonomics are a bit weak, but liveable.

I have a few "cheap" DVD's (anime, etc.) that will give the 91 fits, but play fine in other players.

Bass management for DVDA would be nice, but I have an ICBM-1 now, so that doesn't bother me so much.

On the whole, minor gripes.... it just gives me some things to look for whenever the next generation of players happen.

-Alan

18. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Performance wise, I don't think this unit can be beat... The Scaling feature is worth it's wieght in gold IMHO for those Non Anamorphic presentations....

Only peave I have is the Menu navigation is a tad annoying at times...

19. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Just about all of the major points have been covered here. All in all I think the RP-91 is a nice unit for the money, although it appears to be a little light on the "build quality." I haven't had any problems with it so this is probably very subjective on my part.
    Other than that the things that disappoint me about the RP-91 are
    • No remaining time display - Somebody was asleep at the switch on this one. I thought that I was just missing the proper setting to display this. This is a very important thing to be able to tell, as far as I'm concerned.
    • The menus are not really that user friendly. A lot of things could have been made instant buttons on the remote, especially the Aspect ratio features (Zoom, Auto, etc.) Right now if the anamorphic/non-anamorphic flag is not implemented on a disc (not the RP91's fault of course) then it's a crapshoot whether or not you are allowed to access the Aspect Ratio menu on the fly. Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. There is no consistent pattern here and it's infuriating.
    • Mechanical Noise. This is the noisiest DVD player I've ever owned, by far. Sometimes I expect to see metal shavings spit out of the unit (not really, but you get the idea.) DVD players should be seen, not heard (except for the audio tracks).
    • Slow performance. I realize that the RP91 isn't going to be as fast as my Sony 9000, but this unit is sluggish. Only my Toshiba 5109 took longer to power up and in normal operation the RP91 is a real slowpoke, IMHO.
    The price and the features are a major attraction of the RP91. I purchased it for (a)DVD-A playback and (b)Autosensing anamorphic discs and scaling non-anamorphic ones (when the flags are set properly on the media).
    I still recommend it to friends although it's no longer the only game in town at the price point. It's a great player for the money, but by no means "high end."
    My 2 cents.

20. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Lack of TIME REMAINING and no ZOOM feature are the 2 things I dislike about the RP91.

Everytime I'm watching a movie I would like to be able to see HOW MUCH time is left but the RP91 can't do it. My old Toshiba 2109 could.

Not super important but it would be a nice cheap feature for Panasonic to throw into the player.

The main reason I would like some sort of ZOOM feature is when the credits come up at the end of a movie and I can't see the very small print. Again the Toshiba could ZOOM up for closer inspection, the Panny can not.

So I don't get to read the end credits of movies much anymore (I don't have a 60"+ TV yet).

Still its a very good player, I got it for DVDA.

JohnG