First impressions of my panny 53WX42

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

"Not bad at all."

So far the set is -largely- untweaked. All I have done are Convergence 1 and 2 plus the standard black, white, sharp, saturation and hue calibrations using Avia.

My only input source right now is a Panasonic RP91, which I am honestly not that impressed by when it comes to its ability to deinterlace. The scaling stuff is nice, but since my TV does not lock into full mode it really doesn't add a lot of value for me. It's a really nice player with nice features, but the banding I see across gradients just looks so bad to me.. And I know it's the source, not the TV.

As for the TV itself, I am very impressed with what you get for the money. The cabinet is well made, it's sturdy, etc. The remote, while nothing amazing, is adaquete. The picture quality as it is impresses me, and I know once it's calibrated and I get some 1080i content on there it will be even better.

My next goal is to get my HTPC together and see how much better TheaterTek looks w/ my Radeon and a Key Digital VGA->Component Transcoder than a regular DVD player does.. I might swap my RP91 for an RP82 also to see if the Sage chip is visibly better..

2. Michael Brunet

Tony and Josh,

You guys are killing me! Or rather my patience. After both of your recommendations, I placed my order late last week for the WX42. Now the wait.... mine should arrive around the 12th of next month (shipping from the east coast warehouse, which is why it's taking a little longer - I don't mind because I'm out of town next week).

Do either of you have any tips for *basic* tweaking? I have Avia, and plan to calibrate using that as soon as the set's out of the box (may be a problem, as all my friends are out of town for the summer and white glove was $250 extra!). I've checked out pannytv and keohi's sites, but all of their suggestions seem to be for older models...

Thanks,

Mike

3. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

I got the panny 53WX42 as well, last week. Really nice set. The only glitch was I started messing with the settings because of some poor source cable signals. Now I'm waiting for Avia. In the meantime, I have 'sight-tweaked' it and the progressive scan picture from my JVC XVSA70BK DVD is superb!

Running through a Denon 2802 with Klipsch mains (still need to get the surrounds and sub)

Josh, care to share your settings?

thanks!

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

color: 37 (originally i had it at 29 but then i tried again with the set fully warmed up)
    tint: 30
    brightness: 20-30 depending on the movie
    picture: 20-30 depending on the movie
    sharpness: 10

SVM: off
    noise reduction: on

On the RP91:

N or C, Auto2

I am too gunshy to open up the back and attempt to focus anything, especially E-focus. i'll let someone else do that.

5. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Tony - did you get your Panny in town? (Forks) I used to live there (moving back in a few months), and am going up there this weekend in hopes of picking up a 53" or 47" Panny myself. I was thinking either Best Buy or Rex. I'm praying one of them has them in stock.

6. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I'd use OneCall, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of a return and wait for it to come.

I haven't been in Rex for a LONG time, but they do a price match with other stores and will knock another 10% off of the price, so I may be able to get it cheap. Plus with a free dvd player (probably crap, but I could sell it and maybe get a Panny rp82 quicker then planned)

I've wanted to get an HDTV for probably at least 3 years now. I can't wait for this weekend, though I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

7. DaveMS

DaveMS Auditioning

Can you guys comment on the glare on the Panny screens? I compared the 53WX42 to the other sets in Best Buy (not ideal lighting) and the Panny looked to have much less glare than the others. I'd be using the set in a fairly bright room, although no windows are directly opposite of where the screen would be, so glare is of some concern.

8. Michael Brunet

No protective screen on the WX42? Hmmm... while I'm thrilled that glare won't be an issue (GF likes watching movies with the light on sometimes), we do have a dog who is not generally destructive or clumsy (and has *never* jumped up or scratched appliances, or paid any attention to any of our TVs), but still worries me without a protective screen on the TV.
    Our apartment's tiny (although hopefully big enough for this TV!), so I'm not worried about fixes while we're home or watching TV. Anyone have any suggestions as to how/if I should cover the TV screen while myself and my girlfriend are gone (and the dog is home)? I'm thinking a low cost/effort fix, like a big piece of cardboard or thick plastic leaned up against the set?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. Tony, you are a bad man for teasing me! : ) Good thing I'm going on vacation (that's why the TV isn't being delivered this week), or I'd be miffed...

Edited for spelling errors

9. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

Guys, please help a newbie out. I'm considering this model. Going with a TV of this size would require me to move my home theatre and TV to a wall that is opposite a wall of windows.

I tried this out previously w/ my old 27" TV and the glare was brutal, so I moved everything back to its original position.

Am I asking for trouble?

10. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Do you have thick curtains or blinds on the windows? If so, you should be fine, but if not, forget it, the RPTV is not as bright as a tube TV. Time to move![​IMG]

11. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

Fortunately, we have woodent blinds on windows. The quest continues!

12. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I have a cat that still has her front claws. I simply keep the door to the TV room closed while I am not in it. If I am in the room than she's free to come in and watch TV with me. (Yes, she actually does watch TV, it's very funny to see her react to things. Some movie I had on has a close up shot of someone pointing a gun right into the camera, the cat's ears folded back in response.)

Anyway, not everyone has the advantage of a room that can be closed off, but if you do then don't sweat the screen.

One solution would be a piece of plastic or a board that could go over the screen when you're not around

13. Michael Brunet

Josh, thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately our HT room is also our living room, so the closed-door theory won't work. But the plastic/wood sheet certainly will, and is cheap/easy to boot. Also, my girlfriend has been talking about making theater curtains for the set - obviously not as much protection, but still pretty nifty...

Thanks,

Mike

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Josh,
    How much did you pay for yours...I'll be looking into buying one in the next few months, and I'm trying to do some general budgeting.

15. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

yes, $1710 from onecall.
    [​IMG]

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Oh you lucky, lucky bastard. I'm going to cry looking at that.

(Must...hold...back, until I have money)

17. Dedrick

Dedrick Agent

hey josh i have a question for you i have what i think to be a problem with my new 53" panny
    i wanted to know if these occurances are happening to you, mind i am extremly picky
    with my tv's i previously had a 1st gen tosh 40" that i have tweaked to utter perfection
    here we go:

1st

on for instance the menu system i see these dancing shimmering artifacts going crazy in the yellow bars on the menu system, these can be seen in any high contrast area of the picture even
    during movies/hd material etc everthing, these can be absolutly obvious by getting right up on the screen and looking, this is very bothersome and can be seen at my 10 feet viewing distance
    my old tosh had this with hd material only and left after i did a complete calibration, on my new panny i have did the works: manual/optical focus, greysacale, VE, geometry, 64 point convergence, this shimmering is
    still there and is so annoying

2nd

i have the pioneer dv-37(i know!!) the only dvd i can stand to watch is fifth element super bit, every other dvd has horrible detail i can totally see the line structure on peoples faces, this is even more annoything than the problem above
    i am assuming this might be my dvd player i am looking into purchasing the very player you have the panny rp91, i hope this will change things

on the detail again the detail on my set at this time is total crap this is the softest artifact filled picture i have ever seen, again i has got to be my dvd player
    or could it be that i am used to a 40" and i have no moved to a 53", should i expect this much less detail

3rd

i have a huge green swipe down the right side were not talking grass green just slight like you can only see it when i pic of sky of something is shown, i assume i can fix this by some kind of lens striping

everything has been done that can be: manual/optical focus, greysacale,slight red push fix, VE picture adj., geometry, 64 point convergence, everything in the book

thanks for the help josh

18. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I'll try to answer what I can.. All I know about this TV comes from playing around with the settings.

19. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I just got the 53" Panny this past saturday. Looks really good too, with only using a crappy interlaced player at the moment.

I don't see how you can have your contrast and brightness so low. When I first fired up the tv I did crank the contrast down considerably. Right now I have them more around 40-50%. Any lower and it seems way way too dark. For example, towards the end of Jurassic Park 1, where the raptor smiles you could barely make out it's face at all. I know I shouldn't have them cranked too high, but any lower and most scenes become a dark mess. Maybe a progressive scan player would help?

Tony - Did you have your set ISF'd? I'd like to get mine done after I move back to Forks sometime if it'll be possible.

20. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

That's because you're using an interlaced source. As soon as you switch to a progressive source the display becomes much brighter for some reason.

I watched LOTR:FOTR last night and found the best setting to be brightness: 26 and picture: 16 in a dark room with no windows.