What's new

Is the Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX a good receiver? (1 Viewer)

zak

Grip
Hello,

I currently own a Yamaha RX-V870 receiver which I completely love. The only problem with the Yamaha receiver is that it only supports Dolby Surround.
With all the new DVD's coming out in Dolby Digital I feel like I'm starting to fall behind.

A local dealer has a blowout sale ($600 CDN) on the Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX receivers.
I'm quite interested as I have only heard good things about the Elite line and this model has Dolby Digital, THX & DTS along with 7 x 110 power.

-Is this Elite model a high end unit?

-Will it sound as good as my Yamaha?

-Should I hold out and spend the big bucks on a new Yamaha?

Thanks to all,
Zak

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I just purchased a VSX-54TX which is basically the same thing, just a couple of more features. I replaced a Denon 2803 with it. I thought my Denon sounded fine until I hooked up the Pioneer and used the MCACC auto set up thing. All I can say is WOW! My system has never sounded so good. It has to be because it is actually set up good now(imaging is better because of the auto setup). I guess with my Denon I didn't get it right. Get one and you won't be sorry, especially for that price it's a no-brainer IMO.

James Phung

Second Unit
The 54tx seems to be a good step up from the 52tx. If you want to save some money, the 52tx is practically identical to the 1014tx, which you can find cheaper. The 1014 doesn't have the gloss finish, multisource 2nd zone capabilities, rs232 port, and 2 year warranty.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Like James said, the 1014TX is exactly the same as the 52TX save analog out for multiroom, rs232, and the gloss finish. It can be found online as low as $330 shipped. If you purchase w/ mastercard or amex you get another year warranty through them (making it 2yrs total, same as the 52TX). I got the 1014TX from a b&m for $450 and thought it was an amazing deal, the online prices available right now are insane.

If you need another component video input or really want to buy locally then you can get the 1015TX at best buy for under $500. Alot of people have also been finding good deals on closeout and open box 1014TXs at best buy (and there's a 20% off open box coupon you can print off the bestbuy website too).

zak

Grip
I checked out the VSX-1014TX at Best Buy but it's $100 more than the Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX!

-Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX $600 CDN
-Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K $699.99 CDN

Zak

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Canadian pricing can get ya sometimes, but the 1014TX has gone on sale (and probably will again on clearance) for around $500 canadian. $600 canadian is a pretty good deal for a 52TX however.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen,
Where have you seen the 1014TX for $330 shipped? I've been looking, but the lowest I've found is $384 shipped.

Leigh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks