Uninterupted Power Supply (UPS) help!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Sam_S, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Sam_S

Sam_S Agent

Jan 7, 2005
    I'm trying to protect my HT system as I accumulate it... obviously I'd rather not come home one night to a fried entertainment center, when I could have easily prevented this problem with a good UPS and/or surge suppressor!

I have been having problems trying to find a UPS that not only has enough surge outlets to protect all my electronics, but also has the 'required' battery powered outlets to give me time to shut down the three chosen electronics so that they "properly" shut down and don't fry bulbs, etc, etc. I'd plug in my Sony LCD RPTV so that I could let the fans run to cool down the bulb when I manually turn it off, I'd want my DVR STB powered so that I don't have to wait half an hour for everything to reset after the outage, and then I'd just plug in one other undecided piece of equipment... (the TV is the reason I need the battery, but i've only seen UPS's offering battery outlets in sets of three on these units)

Basically, what I *NEED* is a means to protect my SONY LCD RPTV. I know it takes about 2 min for the fans to cool the bulb down to a safe level after pressing 'power', and if the power randomly is cut completely off, this wreaks havoc with my bulb life. I was told the best solution to making sure this doesn't happen is to get a UPS- but I can't find "the right" UPS.

Lookin for help from ya'll [​IMG] Any advice is welcome!

Things I'll be plugging in:

Sony KDF-55WF655 55" LCD TV
    Motorola DCT 6412 HD STB
    Denon (2200 or 2900) or Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI DVD player (undecided)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX A/V Receiver
    open slot for PS-3 when it comes out

Thanks again guys for any help you can give. I want to try to keep this under $150- but I'll spend more on a good UPS (and surge suppressor, if I need both) if I have to.

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Jun 26, 2003
    Well there is a solution but it's expensive. At work I manage a network and we have industrial strength UPS units made by APC. These are excellent units and give plenty of power so that I can shut my servers down as well as my PBX and Internet access equipment. I can't remember the model number but it is an APC unit with quite a few outlets in the back. Unfortunately the unit hovers just around the 3K price point. There are plenty of other makes like Belkin, but APC is the leader in UPS products go to their website at www.apc.com and check it out.
  3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mar 24, 1999
    If I understand this correctly... You really only need the UPS for your TV and DVR, so you should get a UPS that will stay on long enough and handle the amount of power that they require. I'd go to APC for that too.

I don't think that any harm will come to any of the other stuff if the plugs were suddenly pulled, but they should be safe from lightning storms. You really only need surge protection for those. In other words, you might be better off getting two units.

I wouldn't recommend a power strip for those, because some of them will take a 'hit', litterly blow apart a part inside it WITHOUT YOU KNOWING ABOUT IT - and continue working! The next 'hit' will go right to your equipment, and fry it!

I have a Monster HTS 5000 for that. They do have smaller models, but mine has 10 sockets in the back, and 2 more in the front.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

May 10, 1999
    Ya know, I've heard a lot of conflicting information about the importance of cooling lamps after shutdown.

Has there ever been anything truly... definitive? I've heard from many sources - about as many as for the other camp - that with many types of lamp, it may be better for the lamp to cool slowly, with less vibration (that is, no fan.) The one thing that the no-fan cooling people agree is that if you have the fan, then you can restart the lamp sooner after a shutdown. (Now, they all agree that the fan should run while the lamp is on..)

A problem I might see with the UPS idea on a projector lamp is that also, when the projector strikes its arc, it may make all but the massive overkill UPSs complain, and possibly (I dunno) starve the ballast of the initial current demands.

Note that the above paragraph is wild speculation, and I have no idea if it's real or not.

Leo Kerr
  5. Chuck_K

Chuck_K Extra

Jan 4, 2005
    I think projector cooling after shutdown is needed to save the internal components and case from heat damage. It is possible that latent (stored) heat in the bulb could actually cause the internal projector temperature to rise significantly after bulb shutdown without forced air.