What's new

Question on build quality Pioneer Elites (1 Viewer)

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering what people think of the build quality and sound of the Pioneer Elites in recent years. I have only had the benefit of listening a while back to a friend's older elite VSX-27TX which I think is a 1998 model and I thought it sounded pretty good. I was thinking of the 53TX or 55TXi but since the new models are due out soon, I think I will just wait and see what the 52TX and 54TX have to offer.

I am in NYC and I don't know of any reasonably priced pioneer elite dealers around me as the one dealer that use to carry PE is no longer carrying them. I know Harvey's has them but they are a little pricey. This particular dealer I went to carries Denon, Yamaha, HK and others but I think they no longer carry the Pioneer line (not even the non-elites) as I believe they have a dispute with Pioneer about their pricing. The salesman there told me that the elites are no longer what they use to be compared to how they were a few years back. I have also heard this from another dealer and I am now a little confused and worried about going for PE.

I was able to listen to the Denon 3805 and Yamaha 2400 hooked up to some Klipsch reference bookshelf speakers and they both sounded pretty good. I also heard the Denon 2805 through some Paradigm Atoms and NHT SB-1s at another dealer and it also sounded good.

I am shopping for a receiver and will most likely use it for 60% HT/40% music. I will probably be going with Paradigm Atoms for fronts, CC-170 for center, ADP-170 for surrounds and PDR-10 for sub when I finally get my speakers and I am now seriously considering the Denon 3805, but I still have in the back of my mind how I liked the sound of the older Pioneer elite that I listened to. The dealer has a good in-store price on the 3805 for about 1k and it sounded like it was slightly negotiable. I just wanted to hear what people's thoughts about the PEs are and how they compare to the 3805.

NickM

Auditioning
I have a pioneer elite vsx-43tx 8 months old and it is
a really good receiver previously i used to have a pioneer
vsx-24tx and the quality of the sound it's improved on the 43 tx plus it's a 7.1 channel, 100 watts per channel.
i am asking $650(plus shipping) to buy a rotel or b&k
whoever buy it i will give a pioneer elite cd changer free.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
The August 2004 edition of Home Theater magazine has reviews of both the Denon 3805 and the Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
You know, it seems like if a place used to carry something, or doesn't carry something, then there's something automatically wrong with that line, and that's why they don't carry them. Sounds like the salesguy is blowing smoke up your rear. Seems like you're right between the $1000 - $1500 price point. I would recommend waiting for the new Elites to come out, as they should've caught up with the times, and included component video upconversion on their receivers at these price points.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
By the way, the Home Theater magazine review gave the Denon a build quality score of 90. The Pioneer Elite build quality score was 91. In the overall rating the Denon scored a 94 vs. 92 for the Elite.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have owned a 47TX for over two years and been very happy with the receiver. It has a very clean sound, and the MCACC auto-calibration feature helped smooth out some issues I had with the acoustics in my room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks