Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joe W, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Joe W

Joe W Auditioning

I got a new A/V Receiver a few months ago, a Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX. Right now I have a 5.1 setup and I want to stay like that since I don't have the room for a 7.1 setup. I'm using some cheap Sherwood speakers right now, that I've had since 2 Previous A/V receivers, my first one being a Sherwood and the Speakers came with that.

I have since added a KLH Powered Sub (Made in China)to the setup a couple years ago that I bought at Costco. I believe it's a 125 Watts.

I've been planing to replace the speakers with something far better. I'd like to stay in the $1000 range for a 5.1 setup, or get just 4 speakers and keep the Sub I have now if it's good enough.

My Amp Surround Power is 110x7 (20HZ-20kHZ @ 8 ohm, 0.09% THD if that helps. It's a Semi Small Room, with a 42" HDTV Rear Projection. I've looked at BOSE, People don't seem to like them, have seen some Polk setups, The Axiom speakers. Something that looks nice, Sounds GREAT, will last for many years, and with a great price. I watch a lot of DVDs. Like Action/Adventure and Sci/Fi the best. Have a couple hundred DVDs. Anyone have a recommendation?

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Best bang for the buck, I would look @ JBL E series or Athena's.

I went with the JBL's because of the beter center (almost all of my listening is to TV, DVD's-HT type stuff).

3. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

4. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

Tons of choices in your price range. The most important speakers for HT are the Sub and Center.