What's new

Is the HP 504 tower a good budget PC? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,

Trying to find a nice budget machine (around $500) for my mother in law...we found the HP504N at Circuit City and wondered if any of you have experience with this machine.

It has a 2GHZ Celeron processor, 256 RAM, 40G hard drive, and a 32/10/40 CD burner.

Any comments about performance or reliability would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey lee -

what will she be using it for? i'm assuming typical stuff like word processing, email, surfing, etc.

if so, i think this machine will be more then adequate.

now as far as reliability goes....

i am of the opinion that it is "luck of the draw" as to whether a rig fails or not.

i've heard both positive and negative stories about all brands. i've always thought dells were good...my cousin's hard drive went out twice. then other people tell me their hp has worked perfectly since day one.

so, i don't think you can reliably rely on any particular brand.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
For WinXP 512mb would be "future-proofing" it for more memory intensive internet based apps while running Office at the same time. It's a tough choice but for an OS with the NT kernel I can't help but recommend it.

HPs and Dells are definitely the best for budget pre-made systems, just make sure you don't buy anything Compaq (are they still around?).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
more ram is always better. but, 256 will definitely be adequate for surfing and email.
it can't hurt to upgrade the ram, but how much more will that add to the cost? my guess is about 75-100 bucks. that's almost 1/5th of the entire system cost. check www.pricewatch.com for current memory prices.
i seriously doubt if she'll notice the difference anyway.
you could always save the money and buy her a new sacd title instead! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks