What's new

Is the Dick Van Dyke show series on DVD from Time-Life worth it? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
There's not a single 30-minute TV program on the market that's got this inflated a price tag.
Well, there's Serial Experiments Lain. Thunderbirds and Space: 1999 are also pricey. But for domestic releases from this time period $30-$40/season is the norm.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Calm down, guys.

I am sure David VP has hit the nail on the head when he discusses all the different options available.

Keep in mind, too, that all of this has been Douglas Denoff's "vision", and that the prices and configurations named have been there on that website for almost a year and a half - and that's just to my knowldedge! It may have been there longer than that!

It was there back when TVShowsOnDVD was first founded as a concept to help promote getting our favorite shows onto DVD, because only a few series were normalized onto the format at the time (X-Files, Star Trek TOS, The Avengers, South Park, Twilight Zone, Monty Python, I Spy). Heck, we only had just gotten the first season of The Simpsons, and TNG was just something we were begging to get even the pilot of!...the avalanche was still yet to come.

At the time Doug dreamed this stuff up, it was probably very reasonable sounding and pretty cutting-edge. A true innovation. The only down side may be that he hasn't kept up with the market trends since then.

Image Entertainment knows how to sell DVDs. The aforementioned I Spy and Twilight Zone volumes have been *nicely* rounded up by them into box sets, and the latter is selling like hotcakes! They are also responsible for distribution of the VERY popular "Kidsongs" line (which noone at HTF talks about...isn't anyone a parent around here? :b ). They put out the nice Roger Ramjet releases, and for the vintage stuff have been well represented with 4 Howdy Doody releases and 6 for The Milton Berle Buick Hour, just as examples.

I have no doubt that Image will treat Dick Van Dyke *very* carefully, and will make it another crown jewel in their TV-on-DVD lineup. AND get the price right, for the right configuration. AND get it in stores where it is convenient to buy...I'm looking forward to finding this in Costco, myself (just like the TZ boxes).

And then, separately, if Doug wants to sell them in a full-size Ottoman for $800 and someone is willing to buy that, then good for him! That's not me, though. Not these days.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
And then, separately, if Doug wants to sell them in a full-size Ottoman for $800 and someone is willing to buy that, then good for him!
Right. Obviously, Image worked out the rights to doing a mainstream release of The Dick Van Dyke Show, which Denoff had hoped of having all along. So now, he's left with the same deal as Creative Design has with its overpiced "deluxe" sets of Warner movies: a niche repackaging of an existing product.

At least, that's the way it looks to me...

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
...and that the prices and configurations named have been there on that website for almost a year and a half - and that's just to my knowldedge! It may have been there lon
Not quite. Everything re. the details of the upcoming DVD-on-DVD release has long been available on that website, SAVE the estimated price. That was added just within the last 2 to 3 weeks. Because I'm constantly checking that site for any updates, and I'm sure the $799 part wasn't there until early 2003.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks