What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Richard V said:
Has anyone contacted TMG by email to ask them if this perceived slow down in B&W releases is just that, or for real? i.e. - Are they just reloading, or are they really "out of ammunition"?
Richard, I can't go into details but as far as Timeless goes, the slowdown is not just perceived. It is very real.

Gary "that's not to say TMG won't still give us a few b/w treats this year, but the ratio will be far less than in previous years as best I can tell" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I can only cross my fingers and hope that Timeless can break away from westerns to give us "Burke's Law" since they are now giving us the most important color Four Star title in "The Big Valley". "The Rogues" would be another B/W Four Star title I'd like to see.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gary OS said:
Richard, I can't go into details but as far as Timeless goes, the slowdown is not just perceived. It is very real.

Gary "that's not to say TMG won't still give us a few b/w treats this year, but the ratio will be far less than in previous years as best I can tell" O.
So sad, Gary. I just knew this would happen after Shout gobbled them up. What a cryin' shame. :(

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Richard V said:
So sad, Gary. I just knew this would happen after Shout gobbled them up. What a cryin' shame. :(
What we always have to keep in mind is that Timeless released what they did (b/w western genre, primarily) specifically because the owner of the company was a fan of this type of material. That's why we were getting all those neat 50's and 60's shows. Once Shout took over the "advocate" aspect disappeared. That's the bottom line as to why we are now seeing the proverbial stream dry up. No advocate = no push for this kind of material. Or at least a very diminished push.

Gary "it really is a bummer" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gary OS said:
What we always have to keep in mind is that Timeless released what they did (b/w western genre, primarily) specifically because the owner of the company was a fan of this type of material. That's why we were getting all those neat 50's and 60's shows. Once Shout took over the "advocate" aspect disappeared. That's the bottom line as to why we are now seeing the proverbial stream dry up. No advocate = no push for this kind of material. Or at least a very diminished push.

Gary "it really is a bummer" O.
I understand Gary, but I can't help but think that TMG was a real competitor to Shout, and they just did what most big companies do to their smaller competitors: buy them out, and eliminate the competition.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
We can only hope that TGG will be back very soon with more ZIV TV series like they've done in the past before their last release, the color sitcom My Mother the Car.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
maskedmala said:
We can only hope that TGG will be back very soon with more ZIV TV series like they've done in the past before their last release, the color sitcom My Mother the Car.
If we are talking ZIV, would like to see This Man Dawson.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Richard V said:
If we are talking ZIV, would like to see This Man Dawson.
I'll put my order in for:

Men of Annapolis
Boston Blackie
I Led Three Lives
Waterfront
Fireside Theater
Target
World of Giants
Man Called X
Troubleshooters
Aquanuats & Malibu Run
Everglades
King of Diamonds
Rough Riders
Men into Space
and of course, Science Fiction Theater

Gary "not that any of those are coming - but you never know" O. :)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Speaking of TGG Direct, does anyone know what is happening with them? I was hoping they would take up some of the slack as Timeless scaled back.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
The main problem with TGG Direct is the lack of communications. Their website is a generic one with nothing more than generic informations. It seems really hard to have any kind of informations about their future releases.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Gary OS said:
I'll put my order in for:

Men of Annapolis
Boston Blackie
I Led Three Lives
Waterfront
Fireside Theater
Target
World of Giants
Man Called X
Troubleshooters
Aquanuats & Malibu Run
Everglades
King of Diamonds
Rough Riders
Men into Space
and of course, Science Fiction Theater

Gary "not that any of those are coming - but you never know" O. :)
Same here . If any or all of these get released I'll be buying . Several favorites of mine here - shows I watched on my local New York stations back when i was a kid.

Also , like Mskedmala I was hoping for TGG to become more active with the ZIV titles now that Timeless seems to be moving away from those releases.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I sent an e-mail to someone I have contacted at TGG in the past for some of the sets that had duplicate discs like Sea Hunt season 1. I explained that there were many people at Home Theater Forum interested in any remaining ZIV shows and UA/MGM TV shows. So I asked if there was any information that she could share concerning any of these titles that they may have planned. I received a replay today which is the good news, the bad news is they apparently only have 1 more ZIV title, no mention of any other UA/MGM titles. So it appears Timeless maybe the only hope of any other ZIV shows.
Here is the reply:
The only remaining ZIV program we have but have not yet released is HOME RUN DERBY. This series should be released within the upcoming next few months.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
That's predictably bad news. Dagnabbit, I was really hoping that TGG would surprise us with a couple more solid ZIV shows. But I had a bad feeling that wouldn't be the case, and now it looks like that's been confirmed. I fear this is just one more nail in the coffin for b&w TV on DVD.

Gary "Timeless won't completely dry up - but it looks to be very slim pickin's going forward" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Randy Korstick said:
But it wasn't released by TGG Direct. These might be better prints.
I don't think so. It was released in three volumes by MGM the actual rights holders. When we see another label reissue something the parent company put out that just means the same old thing in new packaging.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Jack P said:
I don't think so. It was released in three volumes by MGM the actual rights holders. When we see another label reissue something the parent company put out that just means the same old thing in new packaging.
The quality was pretty decent anyway.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Randy Korstick said:
I sent an e-mail to someone I have contacted at TGG in the past for some of the sets that had duplicate discs like Sea Hunt season 1. I explained that there were many people at Home Theater Forum interested in any remaining ZIV shows and UA/MGM TV shows. So I asked if there was any information that she could share concerning any of these titles that they may have planned. I received a replay today which is the good news, the bad news is they apparently only have 1 more ZIV title, no mention of any other UA/MGM titles. So it appears Timeless maybe the only hope of any other ZIV shows.
Here is the reply:
Thanks for sharing. It's disappointing news, but it's better to know now what to expect (or, I guess, what NOT to expect) from TGG in 2014.

I was hoping that, after last year's release of Highway Patrol, TGG might put out Broderick Crawford's next ZIV series, King of Diamonds. I've never seen it, but it was only 1 season. From what little I've read about it, KOD seems like it would have been an interesting companion piece to have alongside those HP sets.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
If you are a "the cups half full" type of person there is still some hope. They said they only currently have rights to Home Run Derby and thats all thats planned for the near future. They didn't say they wouldn't license anymore titles. But that being the case it will be awhile if they do bring out anymore titles.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think it's way to early for pessimism regarding b&w shows. It will be hard for any year to top 2013, but there is still a lot that could come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks